Whatya Reading??

Old May 21st 2012, 9:22 am
Just Joined

coco chanel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whatya Reading??

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
I have given up on Toys by James Patterson or to be honest the guy who co wrote it and used Pattersons name to sell it, I can honestly say it is the only book I have throw in the bin.

In Italy English books are expensive and I reread my books several times hence non ever get binned.

The most annoying part is it took up valuable weight allowance in my flight bag that I could have used to bring a better book back from the UK.

Regarding the Kindle. I also like books and browsing in book stores but I think it is going to be a thing of the past. I wonder how long it will be before schools issue text books on kindles?

I also started to read Toys, as I have read quite a lot of James Patterson's books, and just couldn't get "into it" at all. It is unusual for me to leave a book unfinished !!!

The last books I bought, but haven't read yet, are the 3 Fifty Shades books ............... hope they live up to the hype !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 21st 2012, 10:24 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
Regarding the Kindle. I also like books and browsing in book stores but I think it is going to be a thing of the past.
I hope you turn out to be wrong because reading a kindle in the bath will just be asking for trouble - much more difficult to dry off
Old May 21st 2012, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by coco chanel
I also started to read Toys, as I have read quite a lot of James Patterson's books, and just couldn't get "into it" at all. It is unusual for me to leave a book unfinished !!!

The last books I bought, but haven't read yet, are the 3 Fifty Shades books ............... hope they live up to the hype !!!!!!!!!!!!
It is a clever marketing ploy by Patterson, almost unknown authors sell lots of books by using Patterson's name and reputation. I read he takes a large cut of the profit.

It only works if the Co-writer is any good. In the case of Toys the author was pants. I don't think I will buy another Patterson book because I feel duped.

I remember Steven King updating his book covers. I bought the same book twice.
Old May 26th 2012, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Anderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura about

Kindle/iPad owners - I just bought the entire works of F Scott Fitzgerald (one of my favourite writers) from amazon.it for just €1.64. Bargain!
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

I just finished the Yacoubian building by Alaa Al Aswany and can highly recommend it. An amazing insight in the life of the neighbours of a downtown Cairo building, with all the changes brought in after the WW2.
The book was a bestseller in Arabic.

I am presently reading The girl with the dragon tattoo. Can't put it down.
Must get the other 2 books from the trilogy. What a shame Stieg Larson died of heart attack aged 50 after he sent the manuscripts to the publisher and never saw the success that followed his books.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished ' My Dear . i wanted to tell you ' by Louisa Young which was beautifully written and very moving . Now I'm looking for something similar ....
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

I really enjoy Lee Child's Jack Reacher thrillers, have just finished reading One Shot again. They are making a film of it starring Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher, really bad casting imo as Jack is supposed to be 6ft 5 and heavily built. I am reading Patricia Cornwell's Port Mortuary at the moment but can't get into it.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PAT M
I really enjoy Lee Child's Jack Reacher thrillers, have just finished reading One Shot again. They are making a film of it starring Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher, really bad casting imo as Jack is supposed to be 6ft 5 and heavily built. I am reading Patricia Cornwell's Port Mortuary at the moment but can't get into it.
Hi Pat,
I like the Jack Reacher thrillers and also Cornwell. Have you tried Ian Rankin?? He writes about a scottish policeman called Rebus.

My daughter arrived on Friday with Steven Kings 11.22.63 I am only on page 60 but it is pretty good.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 12:11 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a lot of Rankin here. Got a bit bored of Cornwell.
Finished a book by Federick Forsythe which was ok and a book by Torey Hayden who is a special needs teacher and writes about some of the mixed up kids she has helped.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Hi Pecora Nera, I'll look out for Ian Rankin next time I am browsing for a book, thanks. I have several Stephen King books belonging to my son here at home yet so far have never read one, I will get round to them one day.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PAT M
Hi Pecora Nera, I'll look out for Ian Rankin next time I am browsing for a book, thanks. I have several Stephen King books belonging to my son here at home yet so far have never read one, I will get round to them one day.
I like Steven King, he is a talented writer a lot of authors have a format and stick to it, so they will all be police thrillers or will have the same lead heroes. But kings stories are all very different. the only thing that links them is they are set in maine in the USA.

Tommy Knockers is good, fire starter, shinning, there are so many.

He is a proper story teller
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coco chanel

I believe that they're rubbish so won't even contemplate reading them
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Twinkle Canelli will become famous soon enough

I'm reading the Earth's Children series by Jean M Auel for the second time.... I read them the first time probably 10 years ago, and then recently bought the first one again for my 14 yr old daughter. I reread it after she did and now we're both hooked and on to book 3! It takes a bit of getting your head around as it's based on life on the glacial continent of the last Ice Age but is very much a human interest/love story as well
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Twinkle - you've just reminded me what great books they were - I'll have to read them again - had forgotten all about Ayla !! (that was her name wasnt it?)

Have just read Bill Bryson's African Diary, The End of Mr Y and The girl on the cliff (all in the past week )
Am now having withdrawal symptons cos I hate being without a book - I feel like a lost soul
Have read alot of Stephen Kings - however I stopped cos I was having really horrid nightmares (Pet Semetary was just so sad and creepy) Also read lots of Patricia Cornwell (bit gorey).
Absolutely loved The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy.
Any suggestions ?
(I love Val Mc Dermid)
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
Just finished ' My Dear . i wanted to tell you ' by Louisa Young which was beautifully written and very moving . Now I'm looking for something similar ....
I read We need to talk about Kevin. Not the same as My Dear... but a very good book

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.