Wikiposts

Whatya Reading??

Old Apr 11th 2011, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whatya Reading??

For those of you who also read in italian......I have just read a beautiful book that doesnt come out in English until July. Its called 'Nel Mare ci sono i coccodrilli' and its the true story of an afghanistan boy who was abandoned at 10 and managed to survive and arrive here in Italy at about 15. He was a guest on Fabio Fazi recently. An absolutely heartwarming story.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:50 am
Just Joined

suncycle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Anderson Council
Ever noticed how Italians (who generally don't read much cos their stupid schools teach them to equate reading with "study" rather than "pleasure") tend to love the same books. A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Da Vinci Code, Siddhathra, One Hundred Years Of Solitude and The Picture Of Dorian Gray seem to be the national favourites.
Don't know about this, but I do know that Italians don't read much. May explain a few things. Can't help thinking that once I get down to studying the Italian I'll have read more books than your average native. Have recently finished reading (in English) Calcio by John Foot - a history of Italian football which is very readable, even for folks like me who lost interest in football years ago. Thoroughly recommended.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Am trying to read Eat Pray Love - but have to say I'm having a bit of difficulty. Is it just me - cos apparantely everyone loves this book ? Maybe I'm just having an off day ?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:42 am
Just Joined

suncycle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Patty
Am trying to read Eat Pray Love - but have to say I'm having a bit of difficulty. Is it just me - cos apparantely everyone loves this book ? Maybe I'm just having an off day ?
From what I read, it sounded bloody awful, so don't beat yourself up.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

giodafa will become famous soon enoughgiodafa will become famous soon enough

For those of you who also read in italian......I have just read a beautiful book that doesnt come out in English until July. Its called 'Nel Mare ci sono i coccodrilli' and its the true story of an afghanistan boy who was abandoned at 10 and managed to survive and arrive here in Italy at about 15. He was a guest on Fabio Fazi recently. An absolutely heartwarming story.
Just remembered I've downloaded this book but still haven't started it.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 7:10 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

The film is shite as well Patty. I fell alseep and the Italians complained about it as well and all the very heavy and old fashioned stereotyping of Italians in it.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished UR by Stephen King, a novella on Kindle. Really, really good especially if you own a Kindle - beware if it is pink!

Sing You Home by Jodie Picoult - thought if was a little slow to start with but then it galloped along and left me with a large lump in my throat.

Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill (Stephen King´s son) - excellent thoroughly enjoyed this horror if you are a King fan it is definitely worth trying.

Tried A Secret Kept by Tatiana de Rosney, the author of Sarah´s Key which was brilliant but could I get in to this one - no, it just went on and on and nothing happened so gave up in the en d.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir

Tried A Secret Kept by Tatiana de Rosney, the author of Sarah´s Key which was brilliant but could I get in to this one - no, it just went on and on and nothing happened so gave up in the en d.
makes you wonder how on earth some books get published doesn't it ?

Am still trying to get through Eat Love Pray - but keep picking up other books in between (just read another great Val McDermid ) - I doubt that I'm going to be able to finish it My favourite Val Mc Dermid was A Place of Execution.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

makes you wonder how on earth some books get published doesn't it ?

Am still trying to get through Eat Love Pray - but keep picking up other books in between (just read another great Val McDermid ) - I doubt that I'm going to be able to finish it My favourite Val Mc Dermid was A Place of Execution.
It´s horses for courses............Haven´t read Eat Love Pray but a friend did and didn´t like it............thought it was too me, me, me, look at me.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

It´s horses for courses............Haven´t read Eat Love Pray but a friend did and didn´t like it............thought it was too me, me, me, look at me.
Your friend is spot on - cos those are the exact words I said to my daughter

A really good book that I have read twice ( sad I know) is called Mutant Message down under by Marlo Morgan. There is controversy about how truthful the book is - but its still a good read and for me, more thought provoking than Eat blah blah!
Old Nov 5th 2011, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Can anyone help me cos I've lost my marbles I'm desperately trying to remember in which Bill Bryson book I read a page which explains about Italy having non stop rain for 6 months in about the 14th century. I've got practically all his books but I cant for the life of me remember where I read it.
It was really interesting and I wanted to show it to some of my students.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

The film was dreadful ... talk about American stereotype images of Italy!
Old Mar 5th 2012, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Anyone know of a good home for used and unwanted English language books (mostly paperbacks) in Italy?

If anyone has a school or second-hand bookshop I'd be glad to contribute.

thanks
Old Mar 5th 2012, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Anyone know of a good home for used and unwanted English language books (mostly paperbacks) in Italy?

If anyone has a school or second-hand bookshop I'd be glad to contribute.

thanks
Ask your local library if they have an english section . Thats where I take unwanted stuff
Old Mar 5th 2012, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
Ask your local library if they have an english section . Thats where I take unwanted stuff
Good idea..their "English section" needs a bit of updating. Mind you staff are so cold and unfriendly . .I'm afraid they might bite, or make me fill out complicated forms or summat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.