Whatya Reading??

Old Mar 5th 2012, 10:12 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whatya Reading??

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Good idea..their "English section" needs a bit of updating. Mind you staff are so cold and unfriendly . .I'm afraid they might bite, or make me fill out complicated forms or summat.

Some of us were going to try and set up a kind of swap-shop on here for books once.
A kind of .. you post me one of yours and I'll post you one of mine. That way we'd all have something different to read in English and pay more or less the same in postage.
I must have about 200 paperbooks in my house and another hundred or so hardback non-fiction. I buy them at the charity shops in England. My mum and sisters give me books and OH often picks me up a coupole of books as he goes through various airports.
A girlfriend of mine here works for a book printers and follows the English market. She brings me copies of Jamie Oliver, River Cottage, childrens' BBC books and non fiction books. They don't print novels.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Some of us were going to try and set up a kind of swap-shop on here for books once.
Another good idea!
Old Mar 5th 2012, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Stellina is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are ever in Florence we have a brilliant english book shop called Paperback Exchange where you can bring your old paperbacks and they give you credit for each book you bring in and then you can use the credit to buy more books (both used and new).
Old Mar 6th 2012, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stellina
If you are ever in Florence we have a brilliant english book shop called Paperback Exchange where you can bring your old paperbacks and they give you credit for each book you bring in and then you can use the credit to buy more books (both used and new).
Good idea no. 3 .. if a little inconvenient, although I think I remember walking past there once upon a time.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Anderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura about

Am reading 'I, Partridge' at the mo. Alan Partridge's "autobiography". Very funny indeed. Thoroughly recommended. I can't help reading it in his voice though!
Old Mar 12th 2012, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

If anyone's interested I have a copy of The Slap, which I bought on a whim but never really liked and never finished.
As new .. will swap or a minimal sum to paypal to cover postage.

Cover price £7.99

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/printed-book...stos-tsiolkas/
Old Mar 12th 2012, 2:41 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

After reading the reviews I'm sure that I would be desperate to give the child's mother a big, fat slap so I don't think it would be a relaxing read for me.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Just finished We need to talk about Kevin. Great book.

Not sure it is suitable for anyone who is considering starting a family. It might put them off the idea.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
Just finished We need to talk about Kevin. Great book.

Not sure it is suitable for anyone who is considering starting a family. It might put them off the idea.
I read this a few years ago (before my son was born) and it certainly raises some very interesting questions re: nature / nurture. Not sure if I want to see the film version of it though.

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Mar 19th 2012 at 1:41 am.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Stellina
I read this a few years ago (before my son was born) and it certainly raises some very interesting questions re: nature / nurture. Not sure if I want to see the film version of it though.
Saw the film - didn't know it was a book first. Not a badly made film but can't compare it to the book. The kids who played Kevin were certainly convincing.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Just read 'The Help' - It was really good and I couldnt put it down - finished it in 2 days
Old Mar 19th 2012, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Patty
Just read 'The Help' - It was really good and I couldnt put it down - finished it in 2 days
I loved The Help as well Patty! Apparently the book got turned down time and time again by publishers before it finally got published.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 8:48 pm

The film is great as well Patty.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
The film is great as well Patty.
I dont usually like the films cos they never stay true to the book. I think one of the only films that did that was Chocolat. Does The Help film pan out like the book?
I remember reading My sister's keeper by Jodie Picoult. They made the film and changed the ending and alot of people complained - Jodie had to put a statement out and explain what happens when you sell the rights over to the film makers. Gawd knows why they have to change a good story
Old Mar 21st 2012, 5:59 am

I dont usually like the films cos they never stay true to the book. I think one of the only films that did that was Chocolat. Does The Help film pan out like the book?
I remember reading My sister's keeper by Jodie Picoult. They made the film and changed the ending and alot of people complained - Jodie had to put a statement out and explain what happens when you sell the rights over to the film makers. Gawd knows why they have to change a good story
Never read the book Patty but the film did win several awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.