Living in Zimbabwe

Old May 14th 2008, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Living in Zimbabwe

I got a 'Dear John' at a very inconvenient time women!!

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
Yer evil I tell ya. The good news in all this newshoney is that I went on to remarry, and this man is wonderful. Boy, did I ever bring my baggage with me into this marriage in the early years. I must have had some appeal as the divine lad is still here. Southern Africa most certainly left her imprint on me, and there are things I will always miss. Still glad I am where I am now though.
Old May 15th 2008, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Yer evil I tell ya. The good news in all this newshoney is that I went on to remarry, and this man is wonderful. Boy, did I ever bring my baggage with me into this marriage in the early years. I must have had some appeal as the divine lad is still here. Southern Africa most certainly left her imprint on me, and there are things I will always miss. Still glad I am where I am now though.
So glad to hear it. Yep, in retrospect it was all for the good... went on to meet my own Mr Wonderful, man of my dreams (6ft 3in of solid Canadian hunk - can hunt, fish, build own log cabin... swoon) and absolutely brilliant stepdad to boot. Fortunately he also loves Africa... and has to go hither and thither for business so we're off to Nigeria in a few weeks' time. Anyone have any tips for Lagos?
Old May 15th 2008, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Arikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really nice

Well having seen the repsonses i can understand you're sceptism, i will promise you that everything i have said is genuine, its up to you whether you believe me or not. i really only came to this forum for information and have to say i was quite shocked at the response which became a great deal more personal than i had anticipated, i would like to remind people to look at my original post and see that all i am asking for is information, if i was looking for attention i'm sure i could have come up with something better than that, the only reason that this has become anything more than an information search is due to the nature of the replies.

i would like to thank everyone for the advice they have given, and i'm very glad that those people so deeply affected by the continent have had happy endings, i may still visit the contient and maybe one day live there, but this time it will be completley on my terms. time to do somethings on my own me thinks!
Old May 15th 2008, 2:04 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newshoney
went on to meet my own Mr Wonderful, man of my dreams (6ft 3in of solid Canadian hunk - can hunt, fish, build own log cabin... swoon) and absolutely brilliant stepdad to boot.
Is he a lumberjack, and he's OK??

He cuts down trees. He eats his lunch.
He goes to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays he goes shopping
And has buttered scones for tea.

He's a lumberjack, and he's okay.
He sleeps all night and he works all day
Old May 15th 2008, 3:10 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Is he a lumberjack, and he's OK??

He cuts down trees. He eats his lunch.
He goes to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays he goes shopping
And has buttered scones for tea.

He's a lumberjack, and he's okay.
He sleeps all night and he works all day
And now for a commercial break selling honking big trucks and other manly stuff.
Old May 15th 2008, 3:13 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arikara
Well having seen the repsonses i can understand you're sceptism, i will promise you that everything i have said is genuine, its up to you whether you believe me or not. i really only came to this forum for information and have to say i was quite shocked at the response which became a great deal more personal than i had anticipated, i would like to remind people to look at my original post and see that all i am asking for is information, if i was looking for attention i'm sure i could have come up with something better than that, the only reason that this has become anything more than an information search is due to the nature of the replies.

i would like to thank everyone for the advice they have given, and i'm very glad that those people so deeply affected by the continent have had happy endings, i may still visit the contient and maybe one day live there, but this time it will be completley on my terms. time to do somethings on my own me thinks!
Best choice of wurds I've read yet. Heartbreak is tough but just like so many of us with our own war wounds, you do get over it and move on. Best thing for you that you did not have to deal with this in Zims. You would have had some really serious problems then.
Old May 15th 2008, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

italyexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leigh of the Valley
I think you should give it a try but you really need to know what its like .. Zimbabwe is a wonderful place to live and has a lot to offer. However, at present as you probably know, the economy is at a standstill and life is quite hard. If you have money things are not too bad but you still have to live in a country where you sometimes cannot buy basics (even if you are swimming in money!) because they are not available. Most people now rely on South Africa/Botswana to buy their basics.
Also the healthcare system is not like the NHS. There is a shortage of drugs, health personnel and basic supplies in the local hospitals. I guess you could get your treatment private but still, if for example, God forbid, you have a road accident, the chances of dying are increased because the emergency service is just non existent.
After all is said and done, I know a lot of people who are managing to make a life there in Zimbabwe and the secret to success seems to be;
Owning a successful business/es,
Travelling to either South Africa/Botswana to buy food although I hear its also widely available on the black market.
Keeping your money in a foreign currency whether its pounds or US dollars.
Wheeling and dealing on the black market!
Lastly Zimbabwean society is quite traditional in its outlook to an extent. If your boyfriend is a good person he will make sure that you are well looked after regardless. As a british woman, I do not think there will be too many expectations as you are from a different culture. I find most black Zimbabweans are really respectful and quite welcoming of other cultures and colours. They all also tend to be community oriented rather than individualistic(like most western cultures) so you will find that families help each other more and that family is very important to the average Zimbabwean person.

As for women having no rights,that is too broad a generalization as women do have lots of rights under the law of the land though not as much in the UK. Women's rights have been a big issue in Zimbabwe and in the 90s there was affirmative action on many levels to equal the inequalities between the sexes.
There is No law that says children belong to the father. Both mother and father have equal rights on custody and quite often mothers are awarded custody of their children in most cases. This whole concept of children belonging to the father" is usually directed at vulnerable stay-at-home mothers" usually uneducated, who do not have the means to seek legal help and who are completely dependent on the husband.
I think in your case, the secret is to learn as much as you can about your boyfriend's culture as forewarned in forearmed. I am not saying this in a bad way but it will give you an idea about how the culture works.
Zimbabwe is a nice place to live but be prepared for the culture shock as it won't be similar to the UK or Spain. I certainly know a few interracial couples some similar to your situation who live in Zimbabwe comfortably without any hassle.
My advice is to give it a go (you won't know until you try) but do make sure you leave the door open in the UK just in case.
All the best to you.
Must agrre with this advice go look and see, open your eyes! you may be able to make a life there, it will involve sacrifices though. Uk is full of murder too so danger is everywhere. if you have a good salary guaranteed you may be ok. But visit first!
Old May 15th 2008, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by italyexpat
Must agrre with this advice go look and see, open your eyes! you may be able to make a life there, it will involve sacrifices though. Uk is full of murder too so danger is everywhere. if you have a good salary guaranteed you may be ok. But visit first!
Too late. It's all off. Her Zimbo boyfriend was cheating on her.
Old May 17th 2008, 1:13 pm
Nuts and Bolts

So Mad Bob got his shipment of arms from China after all. Who do we have to thank? Mr Mbeki!! :curse: http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx...ews__national/ Things can only look more positive for Mad Bob now that he can bully his way back into good standing with his citizens.
Old May 18th 2008, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

So Mad Bob got his shipment of arms from China after all. Who do we have to thank? Mr Mbeki!! :curse: http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx...ews__national/ Things can only look more positive for Mad Bob now that he can bully his way back into good standing with his citizens.
Sick, isn't it. And who vetoed censure of Burma's government in the Security Council the other day? South Africa. The hypocrisy of Mbeki and the ANC is truly breathtaking.
Old May 18th 2008, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

an only hope that history repeats itself
I refer to a gift of two Squadrons of Russian T54 tanks from the wonderful people of the USSR to the Liberation Forces of Angola.
Someone forgot to tell the Russian clerk who allocated the vehicles from redundant stock that Tanks built specifically for Siberia might not work very well in Sub-Equatorial Africa