Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida, California or UK?!

Florida, California or UK?!

Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:31 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida, California or UK?!

Originally Posted by jmood
Why are folks taking issue with the fact that Brits are known to binge drink?

From hear-say and reading in papers (so not a fact, but my general knowledge), I also think that Fins are number 1 and Brits are number 2 in terms of alcohol drinking. But in terms of bad behaviour after drinking I also thought that Brits had the worst reputation in the world.
I think people are taking issue with the bigger picture with a particular poster.

I don't see binge drinking personally (don't remember the last time I was even awake at 2 a.m. never mind walking down a city high street), but I see plenty of it on TV. I think media outlets like the Mail and Channel 4 do make a meal of it, though.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:33 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sportychico
Lunch is for wimps....at your 9 to 5 are you?...successful?
My husband and I define success as happiness. I think you're defining it as money plus whatever joy you get out of complaining.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just the point about binge drinking..which happens everywhere in the world.
It's more that Mr Chico has been spouting a myriad of false claims and inaccuracies on many, many issues, including locations, lifestyles, demographics and immigration regulations as, in his terms, FACT!

Most people are engaging him as entertainment.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

geez get the FACTS right...Wilma was 05 and didn't impact PC, that was Charley in 2004...now that was a humdinger and yes it did some damage

I think around 14 people died ...bad but not really major......

for the person who said Florida is dangerous and Ca is safe....errr San Andreas...earthquakes ...hello the one in 94/95 ? killed far more people than any hurricane has in Florida......and how many will go when SA cracks and Vegas becomes the beach ???
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

Lunch is for wimps....?
ITS Del boy !!!!!
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:37 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Lunch is for wimps....at your 9 to 5 are you?...successful?
At least he lives in the country of his choosing. Which could be deemed as more successful than you.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Sportychico is an unknown quantity at this point

From hear-say and reading in papers (so not a fact, but my general knowledge), I also think that Fins are number 1 and Brits are number 2 in terms of alcohol drinking. But in terms of bad behaviour after drinking I also thought that Brits had the worst reputation in the world.
Spot on
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have no choice as our eldest couldn't stay under our E2 Visa.....

couldn't you have spent those millions and saved him./her

and what about the L1 ??
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Hurley1 will become famous soon enoughHurley1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Speedwell
My husband and I define success as happiness. I think you're defining it as money plus whatever joy you get out of complaining.
Great post, happiness and health should come way before money. Well said.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by N1cky
At least he lives in the country of his choosing. Which could be deemed as more successful than you.
really?..on here every day since 2009?...why not out enjoying the great British binging scene and weather....

I've come on again this week (for a bit of fun) after 5 years ..from next week I will be off living again....he is getting rude and abusive not me....he has a big chip (lol Brits fav food) on his shoulder and cannot accept the fact that we have poor weather and binge drinkers....god anyone would think I called his mum a whore.....to get so defensive over these two known issues is astonishing and for you to defend him is even more surreal
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
couldn't you have spent those millions and saved him./her

and what about the L1 ??
L1 you need business in uk ...who said I had millions?...secondly happiness is definitely not about money.

For someone to get so abusive over telling the truth is really rather strange...we have awful weather and we have binge drinkers...we are overcrowded (ask NHS, Schools) ...that doesn't mean I 'hate' the UK....the beauty with us Brits is we are resilient...through too reserved....Go to my gym and no one talks, or how often does a brit complain about a bad meal...we are too reserved and polite yet come on here and some people grow some balls...very very amusing few days
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:49 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
And he never responds to his own posts, another sign of success.

Complimenting your own post = epic Fail.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:54 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Lunch is for wimps
Really? That's the best you can do? Plus the unedited one has been quoted more than once - have the courage to stand by what you say.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

again will cover all points for those who missed it or struggle to understand

To move to California and buy a business AND buy a nice home in a decent / near coast area you will need at least $1m ...Home $800k .....business at least $300k to get decent Owner benefit and enough W2s not 1099s....

Florida is cheaper... ...humidity is unpleasant for 2 / 3 months...Hurricane's are an issue but unless you live in a trailer park all recent property built in Florida conforms to hurricane standards...also you evacuate if required....Bonita Springs / Naples suffered minor damage on last 2 major hurricanes....more damage in UK Floods...'fact' for those that like my facts

The UK is very grey ..including summer...people say we had a good summer last year ...yes it was ok but not great....from Sept to June our weather is shocking. We have a binge drinking culture and we are overcrowded..70m people on this tiny island...again fact....

So my advice to the lady who asked the question was Florida. It transpires she owns a home anyway ....California is gorgeous as are many States ...The National Parks, Portland, Alaska even Navada are all great places.....For the over patriotic (my friend in Berkshire) there are some lovely places in the UK as well so don't get your knickers in a knot...
Old Feb 11th 2014, 6:11 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

I like grey. I like rain. Aberdeen is my favorite place in the world. I married an Irishman who drinks and I love single malt Scotch. I despise California despite 90 percent of my extended family living in and around LA. I wasn't impressed by Florida, and as a current Gulf Coast resident who monitors summer weather patterns, I watch Florida get directly hit by up to five serious cyclones a year. I haven't entered the debate about hurricanes because, to someone following Gulf and Atlantic hurricanes since Katrina, there really is no debate.

And my husband and I are moving back to the UK in the next year or two, to live with family, and with enough savings to house ourselves adequately.

Last edited by Speedwell; Feb 11th 2014 at 6:13 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.