Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words you HAVE adopted

American words you HAVE adopted

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of
Default Re: American words you HAVE adopted

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I hope you're not telling me that words like hospitaliano are normal .... just like bruschetta is pronounced without the K sound in the middle and risotto is a riz-oat-oh but not a risotto!

AMERICANS TAKE NOTE

BRUSCJHETTA IS prounouced BRUSKETTA

RISOTTO is : RIZ-OTT-OH

GNOCCHI is NOT know- ki but NOK_KI
I knew about Risotto, but not about Gnocchi and Bruschetta. Glad to know proper pronunciation of both. Thanks!
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
I knew about Risotto, but not about Gnocchi and Bruschetta. Glad to know proper pronunciation of both. Thanks!
I can't even figure out how you munter Gnocchi

But the bruschetta, I've been guilty of the soft sch middle.

Oh, one one I've adopted, only when in Mass...and only if I get asked about drinks before anyone else...."wadder"....or we have a 10 minute conversion about water, in which case I say I'll have nothing, wait for someone else to get a water and then mention that I'm changing my mind and ask for one of those...

Never had that problem living up in Maine and it's not a problem everywhere in MA, but it has been a problem more than not, especially getting closer to down town.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 4:17 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

My wife told me she used to say Brusketta but kept getting corrected by people, the power of the peer group.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

Birt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to allBirt Tiddler is a name known to all

None. After 4 years I refuse to say soccer/'kinda'/'I guess' etc. although my english colleagues who have been here 5 minutes take out 'trash' from the 'g'raaaj' - just sounds like theyre showing off to me
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 8:42 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Oh God! Sorry for last night's rant everyone.

I hadn't slept for two nights due to mad temperatures of 38°C so I had a plan last night to get drunk and finally sleep/pass out.

The plan worked until 8am this morning when youngest kid shook me awake and was rudely told to bugger off and, yes, he could have ice-cream for breakfast or anything at all in the fridge or freezer because I didn't care.

Went right back to sleep again for another hour or so.

Feel like having a bruschetta now with loads of garlic and tomato and mozzarella to soak up last night's drink, but it's too bleeding hot to make anything.

Might have ice-cream myself
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Feel like having a bruschetta now with loads of garlic and tomato and mozzarella
Stop it. You're making me hungry and it's almost 4 in the morning.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 8:50 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
Stop it. You're making me hungry and it's almost 4 in the morning.
Don't tell me you can't sleep either due to mad, crazy temperatures?
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't tell me you can't sleep either due to mad, crazy temperatures?
No, just due to mad crazy me.

I have the worst sleep habits since I have been here. It is now 5:50, I have not slept all night and in 15 minutes I will be in a taxi on my way to teach a class from 7 to 9. Then a class from 2 to 4 and then from 8 to 10. I'll nap for a few hours before the 2pm class, then a few more before the 8pm class, then get home at about 10:30 and be up until 3 or 4. Saturdays are a bugger, no sleep all night and classes from 9 until 1. How I stay alert and animated, I have no clue. I guess that I just like what I do, so I'm switched on for the time I need to be, and then crash later.

Last edited by dakota44; Aug 23rd 2011 at 10:57 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 12:46 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Talking about pronunciation of foreign words, how about the artist Van Gogh. I understand the ignorant Dutch say it completely differently from either standard British OR American pronunciation..
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 2:40 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Too right ... I mind less about FoKacha and CHAbatta because it's still fairly new-

I still hate RiZ-Oat- oh and I detest Brushetta instead of BrusKETTA:

And all these so called Italo- Americans are SO SO SO proud of their heritage and roots and so forth ......

1. Get the ****ing accent right.
2. Stop prentending you are all in the Sopranos
3. Speak Italian properly.
4. You are not Mafia and you'll never be.
5- Stop pretending all Italo-Americans have to be loud and talk loud and be loud because real Italians are not like that.
Solution:

Stop watching Jershey Shore and then taking it out on the rest of us.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Just out of curiosity, which copied which, Jersey Shore copied The Only Way Is Essex or vice versa?
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie
Solution:

Stop watching Jershey Shore and then taking it out on the rest of us.
Never seen an episode in my life. Don't even know if it's on over here.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:05 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Talking about pronunciation of foreign words, how about the artist Van Gogh. I understand the ignorant Dutch say it completely differently from either standard British OR American pronunciation..
At least the Brits make a close approximation to the dutch 'hok' (in a scouse accent) , with 'gok'. Even the people who say 'gof' are within a million miles. But 'go', well that isn't even trying; even educated and worldly types in the states insist in saying 'go'

Originally Posted by Squirrel
Just out of curiosity, which copied which, Jersey Shore copied The Only Way Is Essex or vice versa?
Jersey Shore was first, had not heard of TOWIE until you mentioned it and I googled it.

Last edited by kimilseung; Aug 23rd 2011 at 3:08 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:07 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
That's because they have potatos in their throats. Well that's what the southern Dutch say about those from "north of the rivers",
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:08 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Never seen an episode in my life. Don't even know if it's on over here.
Fair enough. Where are you getting this imagery from?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.