Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words you HAVE adopted

Wikiposts

American words you HAVE adopted

Old Jul 29th 2011, 9:57 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American words you HAVE adopted

Originally Posted by rivit
Up in Maine they park in the 'Door Yard' whatever that is when it's at home
That's an old expression-Walt Whitman used it in the title of a poem. I grew up using it, but they don't use it down here.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 1:08 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

On a long journey you stop for a 'potty break' too. Lol
Old Jul 30th 2011, 3:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivit
Up in Maine they park in the 'Door Yard' whatever that is when it's at home
That'll be the front garden....along with all the other clankers that should be in the junkers yard
Old Jul 30th 2011, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by helwardman
I now say skedule, zee, warder (if I'm asking for water in a restaurant) and garardge (if I'm talking to American folk, garridge to anyone else).

I still can't bring myself to say tomayto.
While working in a Yorkshire preschool I had to change my way of speaking or the little ones couldn't understand me. TomAHto, banAHna, aluMINium, dummy, nappy, buTTer, liTTle, etc. I didn't mind, and those TT's are still with me.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 11:16 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
On a long journey you stop for a 'potty break' too. Lol
We stop for a slash on the hard shoulder. Well, at least Mrs tonrob does. I was brought up better....
Old Jul 30th 2011, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

cyrus1341 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: American words you HAVE adopted

You should have seen the faces of my US colleagues when I said I need to pop outside for a "FAG" at a Conference Hall in Orlando a few years ago!! I dont think I will be making that mistake again.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cyrus1341
You should have seen the faces of my US colleagues when I said I need to pop outside for a "FAG" at a Conference Hall in Orlando a few years ago!! I dont think I will be making that mistake again.
Reminds me of when I was making notes at a conference once in Santiago and perfectly innocently asked an American female colleague if she had a rubber handy.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

cyrus1341 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: American words you HAVE adopted

lol
Old Jul 31st 2011, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by cyrus1341
"Not that there's anything wrong with that" Seinfeld episode
Old Jul 31st 2011, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

"Take a bath" instead of "have one!" Yuck!
"Do you want in" to the cat, instead of do you want to come in? I scream when I hear myself saying these, yet they can't be helped when you live in a place and hear these things all the time. There are too many to list, - purse instead of handbag, chips, pacifiers.. all the words make sense so we can be understood. What I can't change is my pronounciation of things, like garage. My sister-in-law fell over herself laughing when I asked for an almond latte, just because I said almond different.
When my son visits he gets so fed up with the baffled looks if he asks for tomato/water, for example - he says he can't wait for the time when an American asks him for something in England and he'll act all baffled as if he is talking Double dutch!
Old Jul 31st 2011, 12:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keaki80
American asks him for something in England and he'll act all baffled as if he is talking Double dutch!
Thing is, that doesn't work, because we still end up being the ones looking thick
Old Jul 31st 2011, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
Thing is, that doesn't work, because we still end up being the ones looking thick
Old Jul 31st 2011, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

When spelling out a name so people to understand me I say

B LIKE Brian
C LIKE Cat

Instead of B for Bravo etc

Blimey!!!
Old Jul 31st 2011, 1:11 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is going to be sent to boarding school in England. She has just said alluminum the American way
Old Jul 31st 2011, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
My daughter is going to be sent to boarding school in England. She has just said alluminum the American way
Why punish her for being correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.