Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words you HAVE adopted

Wikiposts

American words you HAVE adopted

Old Aug 19th 2011, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice
Default Re: American words you HAVE adopted

I've started useing the word 'teet', like i'll say to the wife "when i get home let's go out teet"
Old Aug 19th 2011, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

Hubby spent a while online looking for a tow bar for our Jeep only to find that it's called a hitch.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

wildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nice

Oh yeah, my husband does that one too. And has started the y'all thing. he's from Indiana and his accent's changed so much in the year we've been here
Old Aug 19th 2011, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

And I confused my hostess no end when I asked if her Halloween party was "fancy dress". It was a "costume party", apparently fancy dress means formal.

I've also made the mistake of reminding guests to bring costumes for a dip in the pool...
Old Aug 19th 2011, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

Do USians overuse the word 'member' ? The Japanese must have picked it up from somewhere and use it even when speaking their own language, 'menba'.

Are you a member? What's your member type?
Old Aug 20th 2011, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christian
tank for cistern, and we used to call them sparking plugs but that's' probably as dated as the wireless for radio. (Remember, I left in '71). Wiki says: rarely in British English a sparking plug.

BTW My fault: I was thinking of the points that used to be used for sparking with a condenser/coil system ... it's all electronic now, but still delivered through a spark plug. (There's just no longer the need to set the mechanical points. They only last so long any way before they need to be reset).
My Dad worked for Ford so I remember him dealing with 'spark plugs' even in the 60's, but they maybe used the American term.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 6:45 am

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My Dad worked for Ford so I remember him dealing with 'spark plugs' even in the 60's, but they maybe used the American term.
Here are three different manufactures and a page from an owner's manual.

The second advert from the left is for ‘KLG Ford’ ... (at four shillings a plug! So dear!)
Attached Thumbnails American words you HAVE adopted-forwardplugs.jpg   American words you HAVE adopted-im19221104mc-robin.jpg   American words you HAVE adopted-s1926l.jpg   American words you HAVE adopted-citation_47.jpg  

Last edited by Christian; Aug 20th 2011 at 7:01 am.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 7:16 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

The second advert from the left is for ‘KLG Ford’ ... (at four shillings a plug! So dear!)
We've been speaking 'merican and didn't even know it.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

That's interesting.

I know he was liasing with the Dearborn plant and picked up a kind of mid-Atlantic accent at the time so maybe that explains it
Old Aug 20th 2011, 7:52 am
CR1 VISA

Brucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud of

I have adopted the words douchebag and awesome from my Wife. Fortunately she doesn't use them in reference at me, lol.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

My sons come up with odd phrases, one they picked up was when we were starting up racing engines which can be tricky and someone used the phrase "spark her up" and it stuck with them. For the last 10 years at least they never say "start the car' it is always "spark her up"
Old Aug 21st 2011, 1:18 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
My sons come up with odd phrases, one they picked up was when we were starting up racing engines which can be tricky and someone used the phrase "spark her up" and it stuck with them. For the last 10 years at least they never say "start the car' it is always "spark her up"
and once you spark her up (although we never used it in our neck of the woods), wind 'er.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
My boxer is called Oscar and when he first went to overnight camp - they called him "Assggaaaa" which of course he didn't respond too. They thought he was deaf!! Now they try to imitate me which is just hilarious!

As for the Caribbean - I lived there for quite a while and they all pronounce it the American way- as it does have two Bs!
LOL. I have a Labrador called Bosley which we brought over from England, so he's always known his name to be BOsley. Every time someone asks me his name, I have to change it to BAAAZley because they just can't (or won't) pronounce it the way I do.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 10:25 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keira-2007
LOL. I have a Labrador called Bosley which we brought over from England, so he's always known his name to be BOsley. Every time someone asks me his name, I have to change it to BAAAZley because they just can't (or won't) pronounce it the way I do.
Obviously they didn't watch Charlie's Angels (back in the day)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bo...onal_detective)
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 12:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keira-2007

Hey! Where have you been hiding. Welcome back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.