Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words you HAVE adopted

American words you HAVE adopted

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:58 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American words you HAVE adopted

One word I have heard on USA reality Tv is critique.

It's so wrong to me that I don't even know how to spell it.
What happened to criticise?

Pretty sure I heard the word "honestry" on another show yesterday.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
One word I have heard on USA reality Tv is critique.

It's so wrong to me that I don't even know how to spell it.
What happened to criticise?

Pretty sure I heard the word "honestry" on another show yesterday.
A critique is an analysis, which can be positive or negative, whereas criticize is generally negative.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Romeo:
But soft, what light through yonder window breaks?
It is the east, and Juliet is the sun.
Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon,
Who is already sick and pale with grief
That thou, her maid, art far more fair than she.
hmm they dont seem to talk like this in the Boro but maybe it's changed in the couple of months Ive been away?
If i get asked the way to the footy stadium I can say

"It's way over yonder down by the River Tees forsooth"
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:36 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
A critique is an analysis, which can be positive or negative, whereas criticize is generally negative.
But what about when it's used as a verb ,,,,,,, I'm going to critique you now.....

Surely it should be criticise or critisize?
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

But what about when it's used as a verb ,,,,,,, I'm going to critique you now.....

I think you can critique someone, thinking of art 'crits'.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think you can critique someone, thinking of art 'crits'.
I still think it should be something like "I'll give my opinion " and not "I will critique you".

And in everyday walks of life - who the hell are you to critique me !
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:46 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad you're here.

I'd like to discuss the concept of "Hospitaliano". I want to implement it at home, but apparently it's been trademarked. Any way I can get around this?
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I still think it should be something like "I'll give my opinion " and not "I will critique you".

Hmmm now you have me thinking too much about this, but I understand what you're saying, it seems to have become a more popular thing to say with regards to shows like American Idol etc. But grammar wise you're probably right
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:49 am

I'm glad you're here.

I'd like to discuss the concept of "Hospitaliano". I want to implement it at home, but apparently it's been trademarked. Any way I can get around this?
Not an actual Italian word - but if you'd like to discuss the merits and bad points of hospitality or ospitalita', then I'm all yours.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by nethead
Hmmm now you have me thinking too much about this, but I understand what you're saying, it seems to have become a more popular thing to say with regards to shows like American Idol etc. But grammar wise you're probably right
Thank you.

I first came across it on So You Think You Can Dance which was transmitted on Sky Italy.
One of the judges is/was british and even he had picked up this critique. ... or he was being deliberately American.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:55 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Not an actual Italian word - but if you'd like to discuss the merits and bad points of hospitality or ospitalita', then I'm all yours.
I just discovered that myself. Dirty trick.

If you were to consult an Italian dictionary or ask an Italian on the street for the definition of Hospitaliano! you wouldn't get a good answer. That's because Olive Garden invented the word. We believe the word and its meaning are unique to Olive Garden, and we are commited to helping our servers deliver Hospitaliano! so it cannot be copied. It's a part of the vocabulary of the language we at Olive Garden all speak fluently.

Bastards. I trusted them.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:02 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard and used critique, long before I came to America.

Everyday life? When you said on reality TV, I assumed you were talking about cooking and fashion competition shows, in such shows I would expect to hear the word. Can you give examples what you mean in everyday life?
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:03 am

I just discovered that myself. Dirty trick.

If you were to consult an Italian dictionary or ask an Italian on the street for the definition of Hospitaliano! you wouldn't get a good answer. That's because Olive Garden invented the word. We believe the word and its meaning are unique to Olive Garden, and we are commited to helping our servers deliver Hospitaliano! so it cannot be copied. It's a part of the vocabulary of the language we at Olive Garden all speak fluently.

Bastards. I trusted them.
I hope you're not telling me that words like hospitaliano are normal .... just like bruschetta is pronounced without the K sound in the middle and risotto is a riz-oat-oh but not a risotto!

AMERICANS TAKE NOTE

BRUSCJHETTA IS prounouced BRUSKETTA

RISOTTO is : RIZ-OTT-OH

GNOCCHI is NOT know- ki but NOK_KI
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you're not telling me that words like hospitaliano are normal .... just like bruschetta is pronounced without the K sound in the middle and risotto is a riz-oat-oh but not a risotto!

AMERICANS TAKE NOTE

BRUSCJHETTA IS prounouced BRUSKETTA

RISOTTO is : RIZ-OTT-OH

GNOCCHI is NOT know- ki but NOK_KI
Yeah, I can't get to grips with how Americans say risotto, it's very annoying. But is bruschetta pronounced with a soft shhhh sound? That's how I would say it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.