Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Old Dec 8th 2008, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Originally Posted by Grayling
So what caused Sydney harbour to become one of the most polluted waterways in the world?...was that overpopulation as well?

Never any smog in Australian cities?
I sail frequently on Sydney Harbour. To claim it is one of the most polluted harbours in the world is a joke.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Watt Dabney
I have been following this thread with interest, mostly because my home town is Kidderminster which is near where ezzie is and also cause I'm just plain nosey!!!

Its a shame a bit of a bun fight has ensued on this thread and wonder if maybe because people are trying so hard to convince themselves that either Uk or Oz is better than the other that maybe you are missing another possible reason for the differences in expats children and the resident children of the country in which you reside.

We have been away from the Uk for 7yrs, 6 of those yrs in NZ and 1 yr in Oz. Our children were 7 & 4 when we 1st moved, we have no family outside the Uk and we have never been back. We have however encountered many fresh of the boat and holidaying UK kids, and I have noticed a difference, just as I have noticed some difference with native Oz and NZ kids, and I have a sort of theory which I feel really applies to families who emigrate with kids under 10.

When you move countries you move away from everything you know, people, areas, places. You don't realise how much of a gut instinct you have about your hometown, which is often based on generations of knowledge that you either have yourself or you can tap into from reliable sources such as family and friends.You know which streets/families are rough etc which gives you the reasurance to loosen the reigns and take some risks with your kids freedoms when growing up.
When you emigrate you know noone you know nothing of their history, the areas history, the schools history. Requests from your children for playdates and sleepovers are met with much more caution as you know nothing of the families you are entrusting your children to. Family childcare is no longer available so its do it yourself or commercial care and leaving your kids with a babysitter to go out is a rare occasion and only when you are sure you have found one you can trust. Also every free weekend is spent exploring your new evironment as a family, so bar school, your kids spend most of their time with parents and siblings, becoming a very close knit unit.
I feel that esp but not exclusivley kids that migrate before 10yrs become very family oriented and the process of friend making for them often involves input from their parents in trying to guide them to find good friends. Over time they get quite good at quickly identifying both the good and the bad element in their school and often gravitate to the good kids as they relate better to them. I have certainly seen this in my son who is on his 3rd school in 2 new countries. There have been times when he has encountered holidaying Uk kids and he was quite shocked at their antics and disregard for their parents rules and guidance.

So what I am trying to say if you can get the gist of my ramblings is that I reckon its not Oz or UK kids that are overtly bad/good, but I do think kids who migrated young do seem more family oriented and concious of the effect actions/behaviours can have on the family unit and are less willing to rock the family boat as this is their main sense of security and belonging.

You may all think this is twaddle, but its a different angle on the situation at least.
Very interesting thought. Makes sense. Having lived in Africa for three years with young kids I noticed our family unit, as well as others we knew, became very close. There were many stresses and strains living in a somewhat dangerous and alien environment which caused its own problems but it did seem to cement family relationships. Australia is also a family oriented country and this is, perhaps, reinforced by the experience of large scale immigration you mention above.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 7:11 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
I'd just like to say I've found your comments to be extraordinarily well-balanced and fair. You seem to be looking at both countries as objectively as possible. As an Aussie (albeit one that has lived half his life overseas), I don't feel offended by the less than positive remarks you make about my country because they are obviously honestly felt and I agree with some of them. There are things that could be better in Australia and I think you have put your finger on some of them.

I agree there are a couple of serially negative posters and I hope they won't put you off posting. I have a hard time understanding those people who seem to hate living in Australia but continue to live here when many of them could move back to the UK, if they really wanted to, but nonetheless choose to stay, claiming to be miserable. What a waste. I respect those that didn't like living here and have left.

My view is that life is what you make. I strongly believe anyone with the right attitude can have a happy and fulfilled life in almost any democratic, developed country. Maybe some of these serially negative people should spend some time in an impoverished third world country like I have done. They might realise how self-indulgent and spoilt they really are.
You`ve raised some good points here and Its good to see somebody giving out an objective opinion instead of the old pro country or anti country muppet sounding nonsense that certain people continue to spurt out. There is no substitute for personal experience and that is what the OP is giving out on a daily basis.

I for one have lived a couple of years in a third world location and totally agree that the vast majority of people that live in 1st world countries and spend all their time complaining over trivialities need to take a look at themselves and would get the shock of their lives if they were in a third world location.

Last edited by Jules Europe; Dec 8th 2008 at 7:13 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 7:58 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I sail frequently on Sydney Harbour. To claim it is one of the most polluted harbours in the world is a joke.
Yes....I made it up obviously

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2006/s1555375.htm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/environme...420365712.html

Last edited by Grayling; Dec 8th 2008 at 8:22 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks v.much Budawang, I was just reading through the posts and wondering whether I could be arsed to carry on...by the way, my son reckonds 'Budawang' is a mad name!

We hit the shops for Crimble shopping today...thus, I need a cup of tea and a good sit down before I write anymore. I might even go mad and have one of the Cherry B's I found in Asda (apparently they release at Christmas for the pensioners!)

I'd just like to say I've found your comments to be extraordinarily well-balanced and fair. You seem to be looking at both countries as objectively as possible. As an Aussie (albeit one that has lived half his life overseas), I don't feel offended by the less than positive remarks you make about my country because they are obviously honestly felt and I agree with some of them. There are things that could be better in Australia and I think you have put your finger on some of them.

I agree there are a couple of serially negative posters and I hope they won't put you off posting. I have a hard time understanding those people who seem to hate living in Australia but continue to live here when many of them could move back to the UK, if they really wanted to, but nonetheless choose to stay, claiming to be miserable. What a waste. I respect those that didn't like living here and have left.

My view is that life is what you make. I strongly believe anyone with the right attitude can have a happy and fulfilled life in almost any democratic, developed country. Maybe some of these serially negative people should spend some time in an impoverished third world country like I have done. They might realise how self-indulgent and spoilt they really are.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:43 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
That is correct. But you say you left a city (Birmingham) and moved to a rural area. I would argue that the same contentment could be found moving to a rural area, or just any area of the UK that may suit a person better. It is just a case of finding what suits you. But saying that, if being where you are now ticks your boxes thats fine too.
I come from London and lived very hectic lifestyle back then. I have been blown away by the lovely village community my daughter has moved to.
I am pretty certain Ezzie would love it too, but i doubt she will ever listen to anything i have to say.

I feel theperception of Britain as being worse than Australia is due to the fact that people live in much closer proximity to each other due to less space. All of the bad things that happen there happen here in Aus, but communities are often more spread out so it probably seems less in your face, but come to inner Sydney and it is no different from London.
At the end of the day, we need to choose to live where we feel happiest.
Flea you are spot on here

We moved to Oz to try to escape the problems that we thought were unique to the UK. Despite living in a nice Melbourne suburb we found that kids still smashed in the local bus stop, still stole cars and went joyriding, graffitied everywhere, and got stoned and drunk. We returned to the UK but moved just 15 minutes from where we used to live. What a different life - it's like living in a different world!! Unfortunately it took us to move across the world and back again to find our perfect place.

We've been back now almost two years now and I can honestly say that every day I thank God I came home
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:58 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's about to start getting better by the looks

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...clampdown.html

Bit late but better late than never.

And welfare recipients are now going to have to work for their benefits. Can't find the link but it's on the BBC news.

Having spent some time on the Midlands forums recently just checking how the locals are finding things before I move home and business back to the UK, the locals are keeping their chin up and are a basically happy bunch all rallying round and keeping the faith that Britain always comes through tough times. Their daily life doesn't seem to have changed that much.

And the stockmarket is starting to head up again, Obama's got some good ideas for the economy and climate change. It's all getting better out there.

Those who sent me a PM about local forums, just type in whichever area you're after and add the word 'forum'. Sorry I haven't replied, busy with business in the wind down for Christmas.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 11:19 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
Well it's about to start getting better by the looks

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...clampdown.html

Bit late but better late than never.

And welfare recipients are now going to have to work for their benefits. Can't find the link but it's on the BBC news.

Having spent some time on the Midlands forums recently just checking how the locals are finding things before I move home and business back to the UK, the locals are keeping their chin up and are a basically happy bunch all rallying round and keeping the faith that Britain always comes through tough times. Their daily life doesn't seem to have changed that much.

And the stockmarket is starting to head up again, Obama's got some good ideas for the economy and climate change. It's all getting better out there.

Those who sent me a PM about local forums, just type in whichever area you're after and add the word 'forum'. Sorry I haven't replied, busy with business in the wind down for Christmas.
Lets hope it works, its about time somebody got their brain into gear
Old Dec 9th 2008, 12:35 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
I have actually been out lunching in a very good Chinese buffet restaurant but see that since I have been away, that the once productive thread has now degenerated into a hub of smutty comments and sexual inuendos............I suppose its no surprise though, as this is what happens when a pack of sexually deprived females get together
I'm in no 'pack', but I am sexually deprived..........

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Flea you are spot on here

We moved to Oz to try to escape the problems that we thought were unique to the UK. Despite living in a nice Melbourne suburb we found that kids still smashed in the local bus stop, still stole cars and went joyriding, graffitied everywhere, and got stoned and drunk. We returned to the UK but moved just 15 minutes from where we used to live. What a different life - it's like living in a different world!! Unfortunately it took us to move across the world and back again to find our perfect place.

We've been back now almost two years now and I can honestly say that every day I thank God I came home
Well hello my friend. I was only talking to someone about you the other day. Were your ears burning? Good to hear you are still happy and I wish you would post more.

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Dec 9th 2008 at 1:01 am.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 12:36 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
I'm in no 'pack', but I am sexually deprived..........
FFS, I have taken back my comment and I shall say sorry again. Let it go now.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 12:59 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Think you will find my contributions with constructive criticism and observations along with speaking my mind are often the norm on this forum and should not be confused with the occasional argument that takes place. If in doubt you will see that I gave the OP for example on "City and Culture in the UK" thread some observations based on my experience etc and look to do that on most threads. The heat as you call it, follows me and not the other way around, there is a difference. If you insist. I suppose if one speaks their mind on here then they should expect the heat to follow them. In regards to this thread maybe it was different. Like a lot of people on this thread, before participating I really enjoyed reading Ezzie`s postings and still do, her argument at times is flawed but I still enjoyed reading it and fully support her right to tell it how she sees it. As for people not picking on Ezzie, well I think you`ll find one of the mods thought so "Posting 262" I then decided that Ezzie should have some support, so as she wouldn`t stop writing and luckily she hasn`t, just look at the amount of hits this thread has had!!!!! So a lot of people are reading her stuff. If a few eggs had to be broken in defending her right to express her opinion on here then so be it, I make no excuse for defending the underdog in this scenario as bullying shouldn`t be toleratedNo it shouldn't and that's what the mod's are here for, but I am sure Ezzie is big enough to defend herself, as she has done quite eloquently in the past.

Of course part of the forum`s daily life is for people to challenge stuff they don`t agree with and this doesn`t make them extremist or disruptive in any way and of course its creates healthy debate. Problem occurs though, is when these people start to take these comments as personal attacks, not personal as against themselves but more toward their country of origin or their country of destination etc. Believe me nationalism and embitterment are powerful tools to unite them. What then takes place is a loose union with fellow minded individuals and what`s now being called a pack, quickly starts to to form. As for "The Pack" they quickly become an unsavory rabble on a lot of threads here and usually cut down any opinion that they don`t like and are quite often abusive and offensive when doing it. They are either Pro country or anti country depending on which thread you are writing on............if in doubt go onto a forum and in a matter of time they will reveal themselves.
I'm not in any doubt that there are arguments and downright nasty personal attacks on any forum, I have been a victim of this on this site. So much so, that I deleted my account and came back awhile later when certain members weren't posting as frequently, but as you yourself have said, they are individuals that read something they agree with and so post to support that, just as you have done for Ezzie.

Anyway, this is the last I am going to say on this subject.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 1:01 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by northernbird
FFS, I have taken back my comment and I shall say sorry again. Let it go now.
What are you on about? I have replied to Jules thread, read it and then maybe you will owe me an apology.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 1:04 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

What are you on about? I have replied to Jules thread, read it and then maybe you will owe me an apology.
The continued use of the word 'pack' is what I am referring to. As the original user of this controversial word I have apologised for using it. I can't do anymore than say sorry. I will apologise again, sorry
Old Dec 9th 2008, 1:08 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by northernbird
The continued use of the word 'pack' is what I am referring to. As the original user of this controversial word I have apologised for using it. I can't do anymore than say sorry. I will apologise again, sorry
OK, but I only used it because Jules had and I was replying to his post as a joke. There was no need to get nasty.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 1:10 am
Gutter Gob!!

OK, but I only used it because Jules had and I was replying to his post as a joke. There was no need to get nasty.
OK but I didn't realise I was being nasty, my post was borne from frustration not malice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.