Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Old Dec 9th 2008, 9:29 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Originally Posted by happy4
Thks sans, brum is a lovely place. Am enjoying studying again and feel a real zest for life since returning. As louiseD has said, I too thank God every day to be home axx
It carn't of been easy for you coming back with just your 2 kiddies Its like waking up from a deep sleep coming back or it was for us Take care
Old Dec 9th 2008, 9:56 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happy4
Thank you so much for your kind words. Me , my son and my daughter love our lives here. Thk you axx
Thankyou, great to hear about things straight from the horses mouth and a local lass too.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

theyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud of

I would just like to say thank you to Ezzie and for all who have contributed to this thread.

I have read this thread with particular interest because, like Happy4, I can relate to all of the places that Ezzie has mentioned. My family and I originate from Cradley which is just down the road from the Merry Hill Centre.

I have been a member of this forum since 2001/02 but remain one of the silent readers who logs on every day to observe how others are getting on. I can relate to ssssoooo many people on these forums and often tie myself up in knots over decisions.

To cut a long story short we moved to Oz in April 2004 and returned to the UK in the November. Me and my then 7 year old son were incredibly homesick, so after much heartache and discussions my DH relented and we booked the tickets home.

When we returned to the UK it was the most trying period of our entire relationship. DH didn't really want to go home and I felt incredibly guilty and he was feeling a lot of anger towards me.

This period did pass but it was a very dark time. After a few months our life took a turn and DH landed a fantastic job and life was looking great BUT Oz was always in the background, like a really annoying itch.

After 3 years things changed with DH's job and we decided to scratch that itch. So in June of this year we returned to Oz and guess what, DH's opinion of Oz has completely changed.

He was the tearful one and the one hankering for home. My feelings were the same as last time, in that I had that dreaded wave of "what the hell have we done" as soon as we were approaching the airport.

We have plodded on and cosmetically, like so many others, we have a lovely lifestyle but after trying a second time it has just compounded what I originally thought the first time round.

Like so many others, even when we booked the tickets to come I knew deep down we were making a mistake but I thought I owed my DH and the family another shot because of the relatively short period of time we were here last time.

Instincts are wonderful. I often ignore mine and they usually turn out to be right.

We were hit with a bombshell not long after we arrived with the news that my mother had developed breast cancer. I'm sure most of you can relate to the awful feeling of guilt of not being there and that is when you get reality slap across the face and makes you realise just how important your family and friends are to you.

I speak to my mom on virtually a daily basis and she is such a positive person but last night I think it is starting to take its toll and she sounded very broken. I just wanted to be there to give her a great big hug and give her the strength that she has provided to me time and time again.

I am so sorry, I have somewhat gone off on one but I would just like to, once again, thank everybody for taking the time to share their most personal experiences with me and all who read these forums and being the crutch that so many of us need during these mammoth decision making times.

Best of luck to Ezzie and your family and all the others who are returning home, at last, we can finally be that square peg that will fit into that square hole.

Chelle xx

p.s. I forgot to say that we are booked to return home in February 09
Old Dec 9th 2008, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theyoungs
I would just like to say thank you to Ezzie and for all who have contributed to this thread.

I have read this thread with particular interest because, like Happy4, I can relate to all of the places that Ezzie has mentioned. My family and I originate from Cradley which is just down the road from the Merry Hill Centre.

I have been a member of this forum since 2001/02 but remain one of the silent readers who logs on every day to observe how others are getting on. I can relate to ssssoooo many people on these forums and often tie myself up in knots over decisions.

To cut a long story short we moved to Oz in April 2004 and returned to the UK in the November. Me and my then 7 year old son were incredibly homesick, so after much heartache and discussions my DH relented and we booked the tickets home.

When we returned to the UK it was the most trying period of our entire relationship. DH didn't really want to go home and I felt incredibly guilty and he was feeling a lot of anger towards me.

This period did pass but it was a very dark time. After a few months our life took a turn and DH landed a fantastic job and life was looking great BUT Oz was always in the background, like a really annoying itch.

After 3 years things changed with DH's job and we decided to scratch that itch. So in June of this year we returned to Oz and guess what, DH's opinion of Oz has completely changed.

He was the tearful one and the one hankering for home. My feelings were the same as last time, in that I had that dreaded wave of "what the hell have we done" as soon as we were approaching the airport.

We have plodded on and cosmetically, like so many others, we have a lovely lifestyle but after trying a second time it has just compounded what I originally thought the first time round.

Like so many others, even when we booked the tickets to come I knew deep down we were making a mistake but I thought I owed my DH and the family another shot because of the relatively short period of time we were here last time.

Instincts are wonderful. I often ignore mine and they usually turn out to be right.

We were hit with a bombshell not long after we arrived with the news that my mother had developed breast cancer. I'm sure most of you can relate to the awful feeling of guilt of not being there and that is when you get reality slap across the face and makes you realise just how important your family and friends are to you.

I speak to my mom on virtually a daily basis and she is such a positive person but last night I think it is starting to take its toll and she sounded very broken. I just wanted to be there to give her a great big hug and give her the strength that she has provided to me time and time again.

I am so sorry, I have somewhat gone off on one but I would just like to, once again, thank everybody for taking the time to share their most personal experiences with me and all who read these forums and being the crutch that so many of us need during these mammoth decision making times.

Best of luck to Ezzie and your family and all the others who are returning home, at last, we can finally be that square peg that will fit into that square hole.

Chelle xx

What a beautiful post, thank you so much for sharing. I was so excited for you when I read the p.s. - that's wonderful! The very best of luck to you and your family on your return
Old Dec 9th 2008, 10:19 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Chelle xx

I wish you all and especially your mum the very best of luck.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

theyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud of

Thank you so much for your kind words.

To be honest, I feel more nervous and anxious about returning home this time round. I think it is because of the current global situation. It is awful when you lose your job and put in that situation but we are choosing to put ourselves in that situation, which is quite scary.

I read both your posts on a daily basis and your advice and opinions are always constructive and valid.

Keep up the good work, it is really appreciated.

Chelle x
Old Dec 9th 2008, 10:33 pm
Banned

Things have a way of turning out in the end. Might be a bit scary but once you've chosen your direction everything pretty much falls into place. Just keep the faith.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cricket1
Things have a way of turning out in the end. Might be a bit scary but once you've chosen your direction everything pretty much falls into place. Just keep the faith.
Thank you Cricket1

I will keep the faith.

I will have faith in myself and my family and definitely faith in humankind.

These forums are proof of that, when strangers will take the time and effort to empathise with others.

Merry Christmas to you all and may 2009 be a happy, healthy and prosperous one for each and every one of you.

Chelle x
Old Dec 9th 2008, 10:38 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for your kind words.

To be honest, I feel more nervous and anxious about returning home this time round. I think it is because of the current global situation. It is awful when you lose your job and put in that situation but we are choosing to put ourselves in that situation, which is quite scary.

I read both your posts on a daily basis and your advice and opinions are always constructive and valid.

Keep up the good work, it is really appreciated.

Chelle x
AWE!! Good Luck to you and best wishes for your mum I lost my mum last New Years day, while i was in Canada
Old Dec 9th 2008, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sans
AWE!! Good Luck to you and best wishes for your mum I lost my mum last New Years day, while i was in Canada
Thank you for your kind wishes.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

In these kind of circumstances the distance seems twice as great.

Take care

Chelle x
Old Dec 9th 2008, 10:46 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Thank you for your kind wishes.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

In these kind of circumstances the distance seems twice as great.

Take care

Chelle x
Have a great trip home......
Old Dec 9th 2008, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Have a great trip home......
Thank you, we will

Chelle xx
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Thank you, we will

Chelle xx
Just want to add to what others have said, all the best and good luck for the move back. You have been through so much, i hope you find peace at last. Have a brill Xmas and here's to a fantastic new year in Mother land
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Just want to add to what others have said, all the best and good luck for the move back. You have been through so much, i hope you find peace at last. Have a brill Xmas and here's to a fantastic new year in Mother land
Thanks Nu-Shooz

I think there are a few of us getting on that big white bird in February 09.

I can't wait to give my mum a hug. I know the floodgates are going to burst wide open!!!!!!

When we left the UK I had to say goodbye to my Dad who, that day, had gone through a hip replacement at Northfield Orthopaedic and was in the HDU. To say it was difficult is a gross understatement.

Then my last memory of leaving home is me waving goodbye to mom who was standing in her living room window with our little jack russell Chelsea by her side.

It was the most painful moment I have been through (apart from giving birth to my 10lb son!!!!)

That image has been etched in my memory and her last words to me were "don't come back, I can't go through this again"

I can hardly see now for tears typing this !!!!!!!!

Life is certainly an emotional rollercoaster ride and as our PR visa expires in January 09 I know that once we leave that will be that. The door will be well and truly shut.

I have learnt so much from this experience and the experiences of others.

We took our children to Eurodisney just before Christmas 2007. It was a truly magical experience and as we left the park for the last time, I turned to my 10 year old son and said "take in this spectacular view of all the Christmas lights and the enormous tree and lock it away in your memory, where no-one can take it away from you and where it will be with you always."

This is what I will be doing of our experience in Oz, I will be locking it away in my little memory vault where it will be added to that wonderful tapestry we know as life.

Best of luck to you also Nu-Shooz, your e-mails make me smile

Chelle xx
Old Dec 9th 2008, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Oh sans, that's awful....I had no idea So it's going to be a tough Christmas and New Year for you then I imagine? Best wishes & virtual hugs to you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.