Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Old Dec 9th 2016, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
OK but best not to translate that to a nationwide principle which is clearly wrong!
Mail can be delivered to a dead person for years just as can be delivered to someone at an address whether they live there or not, but individual postman may object. Technically there is a limit to how many people can receive mail at one address but rarely enforced in US.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angie_329
I think you are only eligible for class 2 if you are self employed and possibly filing an annual tax return with that section completed. you may need to re register as self employed if you do any additional consultancy work, even if small in value, or teaching english etc...
I wonder what happens if you do both, some work and some consulting ,both overseas ?

Also, if one just starts making payments does DWP automatically apply to oldest year one can make payments on ?
Old Dec 9th 2016, 10:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
I wonder what happens if you do both, some work and some consulting ,both overseas ?

Also, if one just starts making payments does DWP automatically apply to oldest year one can make payments on ?
If you're living overseas you can (need to be?) be employed, not self-employed in order to pay Class 2 contributions.

I think that any payments you make are applied to the current year, then the most recent year you are eligible to make payments for. So although you might be currently eligible to make payments as.
far back as for 2010, in order to make those payments you have to be paid up for 2011-2016, I think.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you're living overseas you can (need to be?) be employed, not self-employed in order to pay Class 2 contributions.

I think that any payments you make are applied to the current year, then the most recent year you are eligible to make payments for. So although you might be currently eligible to make payments as.
far back as for 2010, in order to make those payments you have to be paid up for 2011-2016, I think.
My thanks to all who have responded to my questions. It seems that I don't have too worry much about the WEP.

The Class 2 vs 3 probably I will stay on Class 3, nature of my work sometimes I am paid as employee sometimes not, seems a lot of bother to inform DWP every time it changes.

On the payments I would have preferred them to go back to earliest year. I thought also I could as far back as 2010, but on government site it shows back to 2007-2008 I can still make payments.

If I understand correctly my return on investment of making payments is very beneficial if I live if I live past 68, and since I plan to, I am happy I had earlier credits to the pension.

Plus a free bus pass at some point, bus fares seem outrageous.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Mail can be delivered to a dead person for years just as can be delivered to someone at an address whether they live there or not, but individual postman may object. .
This is very difficult to achieve. We have properties that we do not live at and the mail gets returned 100% of the time. I have even complained to the sorting office with no success. If you have any other suggestions , they would be welcome.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 1:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
This is very difficult to achieve. We have properties that we do not live at and the mail gets returned 100% of the time. I have even complained to the sorting office with no success. If you have any other suggestions , they would be welcome.
Speak directly to the mailman/woman. Ours gives a remarkable degree of personal service, delivering mail to our mailbox that is actually addressed to the house nextdoor, and has never baulked (so far as we know) never baulked at delivering mail address to Mrs P's maiden name, nor my in-laws.

I do believe that it is conventional to stop deliveries when the house appears vacant unless/until written notice is given that mail should be delivered.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 1:42 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Not the state pension, but a similar scenario:

Mum is aged 90 with Alzheimer's. My brother has enduring power of attorney for her, and sent all of her pension providers a copy of his poa, plus an explanatory letter some time ago.

About a month ago, he found a letter at mum's house from Teacher's Pensions saying they were stopping her widow's pension because she had not replied to two previous letters asking her if she had remarried.

He sorted it out with a phone call, but even so...
Old Dec 9th 2016, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Speak directly to the mailman/woman. Ours gives a remarkable degree of personal service, delivering mail to our mailbox that is actually addressed to the house nextdoor, and has never baulked (so far as we know) never baulked at delivering mail address to Mrs P's maiden name, nor my in-laws.

I do believe that it is conventional to stop deliveries when the house appears vacant unless/until written notice is given that mail should be delivered.
One of the problems is they are cutting staff and quite ofter the mail delivery is shared between several people depending who wants to do the extra shift. I will try again after Christmas.

Maybe the issue if to due to the fact the property has multiple units and companies just address the mail to the site address.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Editha
Not the state pension, but a similar scenario:

Mum is aged 90 with Alzheimer's. My brother has enduring power of attorney for her, and sent all of her pension providers a copy of his poa, plus an explanatory letter some time ago.

About a month ago, he found a letter at mum's house from Teacher's Pensions saying they were stopping her widow's pension because she had not replied to two previous letters asking her if she had remarried.

He sorted it out with a phone call, but even so...
Would it have been easier to have got all her mail redirected to your brother's house?
Old Dec 9th 2016, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well maybe it is the state you live in. All I know is that I have had mail sent to an old address for years and it is still delivered, or I have had dead relatives receiving mail for years and local post office quite aware they had died. The only explanation is perhaps different post offices handle differently.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

One of the problems is they are cutting staff and quite ofter the mail delivery is shared between several people depending who wants to do the extra shift. I will try again after Christmas.

Maybe the issue if to due to the fact the property has multiple units and companies just address the mail to the site address.
Isnt Oregon the state that doesn't permit people to pump petrol at the petrol stations ?

Maybe send letter to yourself, one with just site address, another more specific and see what happens.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Isnt Oregon the state that doesn't permit people to pump petrol at the petrol stations ?
Yes, unless you ride a motorcycle. You can pump your own diesel. Takes forever to get service , there is generally one person dealing with minimum of 4 pumps

Maybe send letter to yourself, one with just site address, another more specific and see what happens.
This sort of happened, we forgot to put the unit number on for one of the tenants and it come back to me.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 3:23 am
Just Joined

Tzar is an unknown quantity at this point

A quick question about indexing. If 30 years from now I turn 68 and retire in a country which doesn't have a pension treaty with the UK, how different will my state pension be compared to an indexed state pension?

At what point does the indexing stop if I live in a non-treaty country? If the expected pension is £8K per year in today's pounds (given 35 years of contributions), will I receive exactly 8K per year starting 30 years from now even if the pound will be worth 1/10th of its current value? Or will I start receiving an indexed amount (e.g. 80K per year = 8K in today's money) at age 68 which will not not be indexed afterwards?

Another question: which inflation index is used to adjust the pension amount?
Old Dec 12th 2016, 3:30 am

If you have an identical contribution history as someone living in the UK (or living in an "indexing country") then on the day you retire your pensions will be identical. After one year the pension being drawn in the UK (or indexing country) will increase, and yours will not.

British state pensions are currently indexed using the "triple lock", meaning that the state pension rises every year by the highest of price inflation, earnings growth, or 2.5%. I don't think anyone expects that arrangement to last very long.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 3:54 am
Just Joined

Tzar is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, Pulaski.

Another question: I live in the US and make social security contributions as well. What is the potential impact of receiving the UK pension on the US social security pension given the "totalization agreement" between the countries? Will I receive less from social security because of the windfall elimination provision? Anything else I should keep in mind when deciding whether or not to make voluntary UK contributions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.