Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Old Dec 12th 2016, 10:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Originally Posted by Tzar
Thanks, Pulaski.

Another question: I live in the US and make social security contributions as well. What is the potential impact of receiving the UK pension on the US social security pension given the "totalization agreement" between the countries? Will I receive less from social security because of the windfall elimination provision? Anything else I should keep in mind when deciding whether or not to make voluntary UK contributions?
If you qualify for either social security or a British state pension the totalization agreement won't impact you. AFAIK the totalization agreement is designed to help people with sub-qualifying contributions in both the US and the UK.

If you have made 30+ years of contributions to social security when you retire then WEP won't impact you either, but with less than 30 years of contributions there will be some clawback by WEP of your social security payments based on your foreign pensions.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you qualify for either social security or a British state pension the totalization agreement won't impact you. AFAIK the totalization agreement is designed to help people with sub-qualifying contributions in both the US and the UK.

If you have made 30+ years of contributions to social security when you retire then WEP won't impact you either, but with less than 30 years of contributions there will be some clawback by WEP of your social security payments based on your foreign pensions.
Well I am impressed ! Talked to pension office in UK today- very helpful, efficient, and pointed me towards an easy to understand website showing my prior contributions. Went to bank to do a standing order, and again impressed. Don't know of any bank in area I know in US in a city of 28,000 that would have such well-trained staff. (Though not an easy process to open an account). At least where I have been staying in US nowhere near such efficiency, politeness and helpful attitude.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 9:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Well I am impressed ! Talked to pension office in UK today- very helpful, efficient, and pointed me towards an easy to understand website showing my prior contributions. Went to bank to do a standing order, and again impressed. Don't know of any bank in area I know in US in a city of 28,000 that would have such well-trained staff. (Though not an easy process to open an account). At least where I have been staying in US nowhere near such efficiency, politeness and helpful attitude.
I am glad to hear that it all went so well.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad to hear that it all went so well.
Also the offices I visited including local county office all have such new and modern décor, equipment, furniture. What a difference from the Midwest region
I have been in for a while.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Would you mind sharing the website they pointed you to please?
Old Dec 21st 2016, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by shelley748
Would you mind sharing the website they pointed you to please?
The HMRC website will show your prior contributions and also shows to catch up on any prior years contributions not made. It also showed what future pension will be ( making assumption all future payments made).

I then looked up myself UK government site on pensions, and it gave an easy to understand background ( except not abundantly clear on issues regarding Class 2 and 3 pensions.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I just ran my numbers on the pensions website.

It says I'm paid up for 26 years and qualify for £132.22 a week pension when I qualify in 2029.

But, it also says if I contribute for another 6 years, I would qualify for the max of £155.65 a week.

That's only 32 years' contributions. Am I reading that wrong?

Now, if I pay 6 years' back-payments of class 2, does that make me fully paid up?

I have been in the US since 2003.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I just ran my numbers on the pensions website.

It says I'm paid up for 26 years and qualify for £132.22 a week pension when I qualify in 2029.

But, it also says if I contribute for another 6 years, I would qualify for the max of £155.65 a week.

That's only 32 years' contributions. Am I reading that wrong? .....
That doesn't sound right. Unless there is a piece of the story missing (do you have any, say three, deemed years?), I don't understand how you can get a "maximum" pension with less than 35 years of contributions.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

That doesn't sound right. Unless there is a piece of the story missing (do you have any, say three, deemed years?), I don't understand how you can get a "maximum" pension with less than 35 years of contributions.
If you are opted out, I think those years cannot be counted, but you would not receive the maximum pension
Old Dec 21st 2016, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30
If you are opted out, I think those years cannot be counted, but you would not receive the maximum pension
Opted out years do count but reduce your pension. .... Did you mean "..... I think those years cannot be counted, but you would not receive the maximum pension."
Old Dec 21st 2016, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. That's what I thought.

The detailed report shows fully paid from 1978-79 through 2003-04. From 2004, nothing.

On the State Pension Summary, it shows:
Estimate based on your National Insurance record to 5 April 2016
£132.22 a week

Forecast if you contribute another 6 years before 5 April 2029
£155.65 a week

£155.65 is the most you can get

You cannot improve your forecast any further unless you choose to put off claiming.
in 1978, I was still at school (until 1980). My first year of actual paid employment was 1981-82.

I was self-employed between about 1997 and 2003 if that makes a difference.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Opted out years do count but reduce your pension. .... Did you mean "..... I think those years cannot be counted, but you would not receive the maximum pension."
Yes, so the pension received is based on number of years you paid in, so if you only paid in 32 years out of 35 , only 32 years would be used to calculate the pension.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Yep. That's what I thought.

The detailed report shows fully paid from 1978-79 through 2003-04. From 2004, nothing.

On the State Pension Summary, it shows:
Estimate based on your National Insurance record to 5 April 2016
£132.22 a week

Forecast if you contribute another 6 years before 5 April 2029
£155.65 a week

£155.65 is the most you can get

You cannot improve your forecast any further unless you choose to put off claiming.
in 1978, I was still at school (until 1980). My first year of actual paid employment was 1981-82.

I was self-employed between about 1997 and 2003 if that makes a difference.
I dunno then, but I'd love to hear the explanation.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 9:15 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno then, but I'd love to hear the explanation.
SERPS?
Old Dec 21st 2016, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Editha
SERPS?
SERPS is just the other side of the "opted out coin" mentioned above. In other words, SERPS is what you used to be able to opt out of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.