Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Old Jun 22nd 2016, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

moonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant future
Default Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Can someone advise whether a person who has lived overseas long term (in my case 33 years) is eligible to pay top up UK National Insurance contributions whilst working overseas, with the intention of one day returning?

I've just been onto the relevant website and this does seem to be possible, but I'm not sure of the technicalities.

I received my NI number when I was 16 and still living in England. However since then have only ever worked in short term casual positions whilst visiting relatives for extended stays. I'm now 50 and will be relying on Australian income streams for retirement, but eligibility for a UK bus pass/concession would be pleasant!

If anyone who is more familiar with the regulations could give me a broad yes/no answer I'd be very grateful - I can then enquire further if there is a possibility of being able to do this. Many thanks.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Originally Posted by moonsurfer
Can someone advise whether a person who has lived overseas long term (in my case 33 years) is eligible to pay top up UK National Insurance contributions whilst working overseas, with the intention of one day returning?

I've just been onto the relevant website and this does seem to be possible, but I'm not sure of the technicalities.

I received my NI number when I was 16 and still living in England. However since then have only ever worked in short term casual positions whilst visiting relatives for extended stays. I'm now 50 and will be relying on Australian income streams for retirement, but eligibility for a UK bus pass/concession would be pleasant!

If anyone who is more familiar with the regulations could give me a broad yes/no answer I'd be very grateful - I can then enquire further if there is a possibility of being able to do this. Many thanks.
It is possible to make voluntary contributions but you should check with DWP first to find how many years you currently have. Also years that you spent in Australia prior to 2001 may count towards a pension if you reside in the UK. This is something I am currently looking into.
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I would call HMRC on + 44 191 203 7010 (from abroad) or 03002003506 if calling from the UK.
They have an automated answering system and when they ask what you're calling about, make sure you enunciate very clearly "NON RESIDENT national insurance". Otherwise you could be hanging on for ages, only to find you've been put through to the wrong department (ie general national insurance queries, as opposed to non-resident ones).
Have your National Insurance number ready, as they ask for it.

As far as I know, you can make payments to cover gaps in your NI record, dating back a maximum of 6 years.
Also, you need 35 years' contributions for a full pension (so probably too late for that in your case, unless you've been credited with lots of years you're not aware of....), and a minimum of 10 years' contribution to qualify for a pension of any amount.

Good luck!
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

moonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant future

Thanks Quokka and Helen1964 - I'll ring the enquiries number. Even a bit of extra help in retirement would be good. Cheers :-)
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 4:22 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

You should be eligible to make voluntary NI for 6 years. If you intend to return to the UK make sure you claim your Australian pension before you leave as you have to be an Australian resident when you claim to get the pension. Also look into the rules around payments outside Australia.

FYI if you return to the UK you will qualify for NHS and other benefits (like a bus pass) on the same basis as any UK resident citizen
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

I telephoned after receiving my pension statements and was told for a limited time, because of all the confusion on the new system it has been change to 10 years, that you are able to back pay for.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Quokka and Helen1964 - I'll ring the enquiries number. Even a bit of extra help in retirement would be good. Cheers :-)
I received a letter today from HMRC confirming that years spent in Australia prior to 2001 are considered when claiming state pension as a UK resident. This is in addition to the qualifying years you may already have.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 8:31 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quokka
I received a letter today from HMRC confirming that years spent in Australia prior to 2001 are considered when claiming state pension as a UK resident. This is in addition to the qualifying years you may already have.
Sorry to break in here - but do you have any links where I could explore this more fully? My husband worked in the UK for 25 years prior to moving to Australia when he was 40 years of age in 1990. He then worked in Australia for another 25 years. We're now in the UK living permanently and he receives 25/30th of a full basic State pension, which we think is correct as it correlates to his 25 years of work history in the UK.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Sorry to break in here - but do you have any links where I could explore this more fully? My husband worked in the UK for 25 years prior to moving to Australia when he was 40 years of age in 1990. He then worked in Australia for another 25 years. We're now in the UK living permanently and he receives 25/30th of a full basic State pension, which we think is correct as it correlates to his 25 years of work history in the UK.
Section 299 of Pensions Act 2004

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...0040035_en.pdf

The letter I received refers to this
Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:49 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Section 299 of Pensions Act 2004

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...0040035_en.pdf

The letter I received refers to this
Thanks Quokka
Old Jun 28th 2016, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Thanks Quokka
No worries SoS. I would be grateful if you could let me know how you go. I have another 2 years to go before I can "put my feet up".
Old Jun 28th 2016, 8:39 am
Concierge

No worries SoS. I would be grateful if you could let me know how you go. I have another 2 years to go before I can "put my feet up".
Will do
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

I have been out of UK for 25 years. I requested my pension record, and it showed I have 9 years contributions ( which I don't understand as I only worked in UK 2 years, but paid Class C for another 2 years), and that I would have to pay 7,000 pounds to be fully paid up. I read somewhere that the full pension is a ration of years work-credited/full pension.

I am planning to return to UK this year, I have a few years work left though I don't know if I will find a job.

Is it worth paying that much of catch up ?

Does it effect other benefits ?
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 5:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
I have been out of UK for 25 years. I requested my pension record, and it showed I have 9 years contributions ( which I don't understand as I only worked in UK 2 years, but paid Class C for another 2 years), and that I would have to pay 7,000 pounds to be fully paid up. I read somewhere that the full pension is a ration of years work-credited/full pension.

I am planning to return to UK this year, I have a few years work left though I don't know if I will find a job.

Is it worth paying that much of catch up ?

Does it effect other benefits ?
It depends a bit on (a) whether 7000 quid is lot of money to you and (b) how long you hope to live and [c] do you have other sources of pension income which make the State pension trivial to you?

Right now, your pension will be effectively zero (unless you do get a job and get ahead of the new minimum 10 years of contributions) The new full pension amount is supposed to be 150x52=7800 pounds a year, index linked.

So for 7000 you're financing the first 11 months yourself.

ETA: Is your username where you're from? I was there this afternoon.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jul 2nd 2016 at 6:01 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for quick response.

Paying 7000 quid to get pension at retirement if full or even half pension makes sense for me. But I read that somewhere that if one has 10 hears credit, then the pension may be only 1/4 of the full pension, then may not be worth it;

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.