Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Old Dec 21st 2016, 9:49 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voluntary National Insurance contributions

But if he paid SERPS then that might have bought him the extra years. I'm guessing.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 9:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Estimate based on your National Insurance record to 5 April 2016
£132.22 a week

Forecast if you contribute another 6 years before 5 April 2029
£155.65 a week

£155.65 is the most you can get
Just double checking because on that page for me, the second bit makes no mention of years, just the £155 if I continue to contribute up to my date (2023).

I mention this as I have 32 years in so I only need three. It does not say £155 if I contribute another 3 years, it just says £155 if I continue to contribute up to 2023, in the same way you'll reach your max if you continue to contribute until 2029, except it appears you need 9 more not 6.

You didn't have your computer upside down when you looked?
Old Dec 21st 2016, 10:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
But if he paid SERPS then that might have bought him the extra years. I'm guessing.
I don't believe that SERPS "buys years", and I have certainly not seen anything that indicates that SERPS is adjusted for by adding years of contributions to the calculation.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 10:32 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

But, looking at the gov website:https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/how-its-calculated, that is implied in the definition of the 'starting amount'.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 11:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

But, looking at the gov website:https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/how-its-calculated, that is implied in the definition of the 'starting amount'.
I'm sorry, but I don't see anything on the page you have linked which "implies" any adjustment is made by tweaking the number of qualifying years you have.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 11:07 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm sorry, but I don't see anything on the page you have linked which "implies" any adjustment is made by tweaking the number of qualifying years you have.

From the site:

Your starting amount will be the higher of either: the amount you would get under the old State Pension rules (which includes basic State Pension and Additional State Pension)
the amount you would get if the new State Pension had been in place at the start of your working life
Then:
If your starting amount is less than the full new State Pension

You can get more State Pension by adding more qualifying years to your National Insurance record after 5 April 2016. You can do this until you reach the full new State Pension amount or reach State Pension age - whichever is first.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 11:18 pm

From the site:
Your starting amount will be the higher of either: the amount you would get under the old State Pension rules (which includes basic State Pension and Additional State Pension)
the amount you would get if the new State Pension had been in place at the start of your working life
Then:
If your starting amount is less than the full new State Pension

You can get more State Pension by adding more qualifying years to your National Insurance record after 5 April 2016. You can do this until you reach the full new State Pension amount or reach State Pension age - whichever is first.
Yes .... nothing there implies to me that any adjustment is made to the number of qualifying years.

In fact the only mention of qualifying years is that "You can get more State Pension by adding more qualifying years .... " - this is something that "you" can do, not an adjustment that the DWP makes.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 21st 2016 at 11:21 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I just ran my numbers on the pensions website.

It says I'm paid up for 26 years and qualify for £132.22 a week pension when I qualify in 2029.

But, it also says if I contribute for another 6 years, I would qualify for the max of £155.65 a week.

That's only 32 years' contributions. Am I reading that wrong?

Now, if I pay 6 years' back-payments of class 2, does that make me fully paid up?

I have been in the US since 2003.
That doesn't sound right. Unless there is a piece of the story missing (do you have any, say three, deemed years?), I don't understand how you can get a "maximum" pension with less than 35 years of contributions.
Yep. That's what I thought.

The detailed report shows fully paid from 1978-79 through 2003-04. From 2004, nothing.

On the State Pension Summary, it shows:
Estimate based on your National Insurance record to 5 April 2016
£132.22 a week

Forecast if you contribute another 6 years before 5 April 2029
£155.65 a week

£155.65 is the most you can get

You cannot improve your forecast any further unless you choose to put off claiming.
in 1978, I was still at school (until 1980). My first year of actual paid employment was 1981-82.

I was self-employed between about 1997 and 2003 if that makes a difference.
I dunno then, but I'd love to hear the explanation.

The new state pension (NSP) (which came in in April 2016) has a very simple calculation, that applies post April 2016. For every qualifying year (post April 2016), you earn 1/35th of the NSP amount. Any contributions after that will not increase the amount of NSP.

Someone starting to contribute post April 2016 it will take 35 years to get to the max amount.

However, that is starting at '0' and most of us that have worked prior to the new system being introduced, don't start at 0. We have a 'foundation amount'. This was calculated in 2 ways - old system (including SERPS, S2P etc) and a calculation using the new system. The larger of these 2 amounts was used as the foundation amount.

In the example of chawkins99 the foundation amount is £132.22 which took them 26 years to accumulate under the old system.

Starting from that amount, post April 2016 it could well be that the max amount is reached sooner than 35 years.

Essentially, post April 2016 it is more useful to think in amounts rather than number of years.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

I just ran my numbers on the pensions website.

It says I'm paid up for 26 years and qualify for £132.22 a week pension when I qualify in 2029.

But, it also says if I contribute for another 6 years, I would qualify for the max of £155.65 a week.

That's only 32 years' contributions. Am I reading that wrong?

Now, if I pay 6 years' back-payments of class 2, does that make me fully paid up?

I have been in the US since 2003.
If you have qualified for 26 years, and make 6 years of back-payments yes that is 32 years, But since it says you have until 2029 to pay, are they not simply including in forecast future years that it is expected you will pay to stay up to date ?
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
If you have qualified for 26 years, and make 6 years of back-payments yes that is 32 years, But since it says you have until 2029 to pay, are they not simply including in forecast future years that it is expected you will pay to stay up to date ?
If that were the case, then I'd have paid 39 years by 2029 (45 years if I pay the back-payments as well).

I think I'm going to pay the 6 years' back payments at class 2 rates (if allowed), then re-assess. If, at that point, it says I am still short, I'll pay annually until I make up the shortfall.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

If that were the case, then I'd have paid 39 years by 2029 (45 years if I pay the back-payments as well).

I think I'm going to pay the 6 years' back payments at class 2 rates (if allowed), then re-assess. If, at that point, it says I am still short, I'll pay annually until I make up the shortfall.
Before you pay any years that are before April 2016, find out exactly what that will do to your foundation amount. It may be that qualifying years after April 2016 will make a greater difference to your final pension.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I registered on this HMRC site some while back and noticed the other day that it now has links, among others, to show my actual NI contribution record plus a pension forecast. Pretty nice to have all this accessible online these days.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/gg/si...&origin=PERTAX
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe that SERPS "buys years", and I have certainly not seen anything that indicates that SERPS is adjusted for by adding years of contributions to the calculation.
the totale estimated State pension includes a COPE estimate . This will be deducted from your pension when it starts paying out. The value of which is shown on https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check...n/account/cope

Everyone will be shown a figure of £8,121.59 a year which doesn't take into account COPE.

My additional contributions show as Self-employment: 52 weeks
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

not sure how NI credits affect WEP

National Insurance credits: 8 weeks

These may have been added to your record if you were ill/disabled, unemployed, caring for someone full-time or on jury service
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 1:48 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
The new state pension (NSP) (which came in in April 2016) has a very simple calculation.....

In the example of chawkins99 the foundation amount is £132.22 which took them 26 years to accumulate under the old system.

Starting from that amount, post April 2016 it could well be that the max amount is reached sooner than 35 years...
So one would expect another 9 years were needed but you think it may be fewer.

At this stage they are none the wiser and needing 9 years would be the simple part.

Originally Posted by rebs
Before you pay any years that are before April 2016, find out exactly what that will do to your foundation amount. It may be that qualifying years after April 2016 will make a greater difference to your final pension.
In my case, I had my details from them in August, confirming I had 32 years and inviting me to buy ten years worth, when I only need 3 to get 35 in.

That doesn't strike me as simple.

Foundation amount? Never heard of it. Nothing on my account on the website and nothing using that expression in my August letter which went into a lot of detail...about anything other than telling me 3 years added to the 32 I have will get the maximum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.