Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Old Dec 8th 2016, 5:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Originally Posted by not2old View Post
FYI, for anyone or future reference

My wife & I each have received the 'are you still alive' letter twice in the first 3 years we began collecting state pension.

The first one we filled in & mailed, no issues

The second one 18 months after the first one ' I immediately called' 44 (0) 191 218 7777 the overseas pension service line asking 'why are you sending this request again?

Person on the other end mentioned about fraud etc & just to make sure since many folks change address or pass on & we at DWP are not notified.

The agent then proceeded to ask again to confirm who I was, DOB, NI number, address etc. Responded with a 'OK records updated & confirmed', but please mail in the letter anyway.

Passed the phone over to my wife, same Q&A
I can't help but wonder if it would make sense to take copies of the form and send an unsolicted, newly completed copy of the form to the DWP, say, every six months.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita View Post
You are so right. They request a notary or someone of importance to verify you are alive but provide NO facility to say you're dead....they just make a presumption...now THAT is cheeky....
Just curious if said form included a provision to schedule a date at which you are dead? For convenience and administrative purposes.

I would love to know how many replies they get that say "No I'm dead." I'm fairly certain legally that would hold up as proof of life.

Last edited by vikingsail; Dec 8th 2016 at 5:17 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 5:37 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
I can't help but wonder if it would make sense to take copies of the form and send an unsolicted, newly completed copy of the form to the DWP, say, every six months.
thats a good point, however when I asked 'will you be doing this again soon or how frequent will it be' his response was that he did not know but its random - just wait till we contact you again.

Next form though, I will call them first giving them my details that its me & the wife who we are, fill in the form, copy it without dating it, then date the original & fire it off to DWP.

Save the copy for next round or maybe send the duplicate signed copy in a separate envelope... double whammy on it & the postage just to make sure its done
Old Dec 8th 2016, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't any fraudster send pre signed letters every 6 months? Doesn't the random nature of the requests guard against fraud? I mean I could leave my wife couple dozen of pre signed letters to send every 6 months.

Do they have an option to verify online or fax?

Last edited by mrken30; Dec 8th 2016 at 6:14 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 6:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
Couldn't any fraudster send pre signed letters every 6 months? Doesn't the random nature of the requests guard against fraud? I mean I could leave my wife couple dozen of pre signed letters to send every 6 months.

Do they have an option to verify online or fax?
If it has some serial number, bar code, or similar then yes, you couldn't just send a copy because it wouldn't be accepted. I would hope that they have some such control, but as the DWP is a government organization, I am sceptical that they would have such controls.

Surely allowing confirmation by internet or fax would be even less secure. A good solution would be establishing a "voice print" and then to prove that your alive you could dial in, key in your NI number then repeat a standard phrase, such as "My name is .... ", and the system automatically updates your record.

A determined fraudster could still keep a recording and use that I suppose, but it should be fairly easy to keep records and flag instances of the voice being identical, because like signatures, the key to proving a good match is that there are differences, not that the pattern is identical.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Getting mail delivered to a dead person in the US is almost impossible. Other countries not so sure.

But just being able to confirm the date of the letter, would be a simple security feature.

If banks are able to use voice recognition, I'm sure it won't be long before the Government decide to spend vasts amount of money on some anti fraud scheme.

My online access to my council tax had a few hurdles, phone calls, letters, emails and complex password

Last edited by mrken30; Dec 8th 2016 at 6:36 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Getting mail delivered to a dead person in the US is almost impossible. Other countries not so sure.
What? Why?
Old Dec 8th 2016, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic View Post
What? Why?
Yeah, WTF?
Old Dec 8th 2016, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What? Why?
our mailman atleast won't deliver letters if he knows the person does not live at that address. I think it may also be a felony to interfere with the mail and fraudulently accept other people's mail.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

our mailman atleast won't deliver letters if he knows the person does not live at that address. I think it may also be a felony to interfere with the mail and fraudulently accept other people's mail.
So this from the USPS is completely wrong?

Manage Mail for the Deceased

Stopping or Redirecting Mail
After a loved one has passed away, accumulating mail can attract unwanted attention. To avoid this, as appointed executor or administrator, you can file a request at the Post Office™ to:

Redirect their mail.
Remove them from advertisers' mailing lists.
The Direct Marketing Association maintains a “Deceased Do Not Contact” list. Within 3 months of adding the deceased’s name to this list, the amount of advertising mail received should decrease.

Register on DMA.org

If You Shared an Address

If you shared a mailing address with someone who has since died and would normally receive their mail, you don't need to do anything. You can open and manage their mail.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Refusing to deliver mail to deceased citizens is clearly a violation of their civil rights.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So this from the USPS is completely wrong?

Manage Mail for the Deceased

Stopping or Redirecting Mail
After a loved one has passed away, accumulating mail can attract unwanted attention. To avoid this, as appointed executor or administrator, you can file a request at the Post Office™ to:

Redirect their mail.
Remove them from advertisers' mailing lists.
The Direct Marketing Association maintains a “Deceased Do Not Contact” list. Within 3 months of adding the deceased’s name to this list, the amount of advertising mail received should decrease.

Register on DMA.org

If You Shared an Address

If you shared a mailing address with someone who has since died and would normally receive their mail, you don't need to do anything. You can open and manage their mail.
That's good to know. We just have had problems with our mailman in the past.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 8:03 pm

Maybe the problem is that you're dead?
Old Dec 8th 2016, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Maybe the problem is that you're dead?
a deadbeat maybe
Old Dec 8th 2016, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK but best not to translate that to a nationwide principle which is clearly wrong!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.