Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What you can't get in Canada

What you can't get in Canada

Old Oct 18th 2007, 3:09 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What you can't get in Canada

Originally Posted by iaink
There is some reason to belive marmite is endangered in Canada...I think it was banned for sale in the US for some reason not long ago?
Shouldn't that have read "I think it was banned for sale in the US for good reason not long ago?
Old Oct 18th 2007, 3:12 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Shouldn't that have read "I think it was banned for sale in the US for good reason not long ago?
Twas vegemite apparently, but I think marmite has follates too DOnt much care...I can live without it, in fact I only seem to ever eat it when I'm about to come down with some hideous disease anyway.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

ali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant future

Sorry I must say I resent that comment. Marmite and I go way back........
Old Oct 18th 2007, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

tom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nice

OK, I think the direction this thread has taken for now (Sorry about that) has made me finalise on what I will have for dins tonight... I can taste its salty Marmitey goodness right now.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

It was Vegemite that was banned and you couldn't get it in Canada for at least a year. However, I see it's in grocery stores again, but with the Kraft UK address on the back of the label!

As for tea, regular grocery store tea (Red rose orange pekoe) is standard, but depending on where you live, you can find amazing little tea shops selling much better tea than you can get in grocery stores. I'm particularly fond of Murchie's here in Vancouver and Victoria:

www.murchies.com

Murchie's has the best black currant scones by the way! (Complete with clotted cream and raspberry jam!)

Steeps (http://www.steepstea.com) has a few locations in BC and Alberta.

T (http://www.tealeaves.com/tea) is another shop I've recently discovered. They even have pyramids!

My point to this is, you have to look beyond your regular grocery stores if you're seriously looking for true quality tea, or at least the variety of tea you might be used to.

Last edited by Lychee; Oct 18th 2007 at 5:42 am.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Wow, Esme, you sound bitter - but I disagree almost entirely with everything in your post (sorry )

English chocolate is just as crap as North American, it's just a different kind of crapness. Our local Superstore does a good line in 70% cocoa stuff that's pretty good - I'm sure you could find it in Niagara as well. Or is it the English crap you're craving?

I find quite the opposite to you regarding fruit and veg - and milk. It lasts way longer here than it did in the UK, we find we throw away much less of the gone-all-squidgy-in-the-bottom-of-the-drawer-in-the-fridge yuckiness here, although I suppose that may have more to do with more careful planning and shopping than we did in the UK.

Are you talking M&S food when you say "value for money"? I absolutely don't equate M&S food with value for money - it was always a luxury to go in and buy a few bits & pieces there for a special occasion rather than the usual Sainsbury or Tesco shopping. I wouldn't have contemplated buying any basic ingredients from M&S, the extra cost simply wasn't worth it.

Can't comment on your vegetarian woes though - I've never really been able to see the point of becoming vegetarian and then craving things that look, feel and taste like the meat you've given up. I'm with Gerard Depardieu on that one. What did you do before Quorn was invented? It's only processed mould, after all...
When I was single and lazy and vegetarian some years ago it did work out cheaper to shop in M and S. Some individual meals were around Ā£1 and good quality veggies lasted longer with less waste so bizarrely it did work out to be better. You see a fair few pensioners in there too and they know how to save the pennies.

I have found the fruit and vegetables to be poor quality but my comment on M and S makes me think its because I am now relatively poor and so shop in No Frills. Maybe if I bought the more expensive stuff it would be better?? I will investigate next time I shop.

I never liked Quorn tho, nor the idea of any meat substitutes. You can eat very well as a veggie using real food, - pulses, legumes, etc without having to eat unnatural food such as quorn. The two dont go together in my mind. I was vegetarian for 15 years and am now a born-again carnivore. The only thing I used to crave when a veggie was black pudding. Yummy

You can get good choccie here, such as Lindt, Valrhona, its more expensive but worth it as a treat. Shoppers Drug Mart have a good selection.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ali-simon
Sorry I must say I resent that comment. Marmite and I go way back........
Okay, what does that stuff taste like anyway?
Old Oct 18th 2007, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

ali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rwin
It taste fantastic. Strong and salty. Gorgeous on warm toast with butter. Yum Yum I'm salivating as I type.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

you've never tried it??? well indeed its time you did or changed that avatar!

You have to start with a little and then move up to thick marmite on toast. Maybe try a twiglet. ot mix the marmite with butter before spreading on bread so you dont get a huge bit to start with.

Its like many good things in life you need to practice to be perfect at it
Old Oct 19th 2007, 2:33 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daft batty
you've never tried it??? well indeed its time you did or changed that avatar!

You have to start with a little and then move up to thick marmite on toast. Maybe try a twiglet. ot mix the marmite with butter before spreading on bread so you dont get a huge bit to start with.

Its like many good things in life you need to practice to be perfect at it
Yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk!
Its true what the advert says, you either love it or HATE it!
Guess what category I'm in
Old Oct 19th 2007, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

you know if this thread continues I can see marmite accusing a lot of you with spread-racisim. Its part of our life and therefore we need to all live together with it. Marmite is one of those things that make life complete. My niece gets cross cause I eat it off a spoon. I love the rush of burning on me tastebuds.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Hinwinnipeg has a brilliant futureHinwinnipeg has a brilliant futureHinwinnipeg has a brilliant futureHinwinnipeg has a brilliant futureHinwinnipeg has a brilliant futureHinwinnipeg has a brilliant futureHinwinnipeg has a brilliant future

Try it on toast with cheese spread. Yummy.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

tom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nicetom17 is just really nice

I love it when forum threads get all Marmitey
Old Oct 19th 2007, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

It tastes like burnt beef bouillon.

I'm not kidding!

Has a tar-like consistency too.

The idea is you use it sparingly. Don't spread it like peanut butter. Spread it like you're spreading the thinnest dab of butter on a dieting model's piece of bread. The bare scraping is all you need.

I personally enjoy it on toasted bagels with a bit of melted butter. It makes whatever food you're eating more savory and flavourful, but it is definitely an acquired taste.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lychee
It tastes like burnt beef bouillon.

I'm not kidding!

Has a tar-like consistency too.

The idea is you use it sparingly. Don't spread it like peanut butter. Spread it like you're spreading the thinnest dab of butter on a dieting model's piece of bread. The bare scraping is all you need.

I personally enjoy it on toasted bagels with a bit of melted butter. It makes whatever food you're eating more savory and flavourful, but it is definitely an acquired taste.
MOH hates marmite, he says. I use it in gravies, casseroles, chilli, pasta sauces, soups,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.