Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

skytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really nice
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Flag poling is pretty easy. You take your passport and COPR forms and a list of any goods to follow at a later date. You can take an updated bank statement as well if worried about funds. Once COPR forms have been processed then get a SIN number and thats basically it. No need to wait for PR card before starting work.
Thanks! About the funds part, since I've been living here for 2 years and the last year has been as a visitor so I've not been allowed to work, my account has only around $800 in it now as all the funds I had have dwindled during the wait. However, my CL has been paying the bills and we've been managing well. She is in her overdraft on her personal account but has around $5,000 in her business account.

Is that going to pose a problem at the border? Surely since I've been living here for 2 years waiting for PR they understand that I mightn't have much money left after all this time not working, despite coming here with about $25k.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

skytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really nice

Originally Posted by phasee
Ok. I'm a bit worried.

Checked ECAS and for "Sponsorship application status" it says Decision made. We didn't receive an e-mail, it says a letter was sent on 6th December. Is this a bad sign? Has anyone else had this and been approved?

Thanks
We didn't get an email either, and got the same message as you. You've probably been approved! Our letter took two weeks to arrive after the decision made date.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skytek
Thanks! About the funds part, since I've been living here for 2 years and the last year has been as a visitor so I've not been allowed to work, my account has only around $800 in it now as all the funds I had have dwindled during the wait. However, my CL has been paying the bills and we've been managing well. She is in her overdraft on her personal account but has around $5,000 in her business account.

Is that going to pose a problem at the border? Surely since I've been living here for 2 years waiting for PR they understand that I mightn't have much money left after all this time not working, despite coming here with about $25k.
Usually under the spousal applications CBSA don't ask for proof of funds as there are no proof of funds required under spousal sponsorships although the sponsor has to meet certain conditions

10.1. Financial test - sponsor
CPC-M will indicate where applicable whether or not the financial test is met. This is determined by taking into account the number of persons in Canada for whom the sponsor is responsible, including persons who are the subject of another undertaking signed or co-signed by the sponsor, and the number of persons included on the sponsorship undertaking, including non-accompanying family members. There are exceptions to the requirement for a sponsor to meet the minimum necessary income test. See R133(4).
Old Dec 10th 2013, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

TOhereicome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by skytek

How comes you have been waiting for 2 years for your COPR? Thats an insanely long time to wait without any income. I am thinking to come there and wait it out too but I can't afford not to work for such a long time. I applied in May and still have heard nothing since my sponsor was approved in June. I am a little anxious and just would like some idea as to how long it will all take. The lack of feedback is hard to deal with as one cannot plan properly for the future. Also once in Canada as a visitor, does it make any difference to the application if you go in and out of Canada often? Does your visitor status reset each time you re enter the country, so you could stay up to 6months at a time?
Old Dec 10th 2013, 4:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TOhereicome
How comes you have been waiting for 2 years for your COPR? Thats an insanely long time to wait without any income.
If you look at Skytek's previous posts, you'll see that he didn't apply for PR until much more recently than that!

As for visitor visa, you can simply apply to extend online if needed.

HTH.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

worriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud of

To all those waiting through London

My Son who happily for me now resides legally in Canada as a PR as of last week,His was a difficult application..most of his own making needles to say.
They applied Nov 2012 and finally recieved Corp 24 Nov 2013.
I would just like to thank some of the Moderators in particular Former Lancasterian and Siouxie who always answered our many questions when problems arose.If you follow the advice that is given here free of charge with no hidden agenda you wont go far wrong.Best of luck to all of you waiting .
Thanks again and Happy Christmas
Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Ralphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really nice

Originally Posted by worriedmom
To all those waiting through London

My Son who happily for me now resides legally in Canada as a PR as of last week,His was a difficult application..most of his own making needles to say.
They applied Nov 2012 and finally recieved Corp 24 Nov 2013.
I would just like to thank some of the Moderators in particular Former Lancasterian and Siouxie who always answered our many questions when problems arose.If you follow the advice that is given here free of charge with no hidden agenda you wont go far wrong.Best of luck to all of you waiting .
Thanks again and Happy Christmas
Glad to hear your son is finally in Canada -
I can absolutely agree that the help and advice I have been given on this forum has far exceeded any 'professional' responses I had received during my initial research about what to expect and what was in fact possible throughout this process - I have been amazed by what I have learnt now our application is in full swing ! Very grateful !
Happy Christmas to you all too
Old Dec 10th 2013, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

worriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ralphstars
Glad to hear your son is finally in Canada -
I can absolutely agree that the help and advice I have been given on this forum has far exceeded any 'professional' responses I had received during my initial research about what to expect and what was in fact possible throughout this process - I have been amazed by what I have learnt now our application is in full swing ! Very grateful !
Happy Christmas to you all too
Old Dec 11th 2013, 7:12 am
Just Joined

cathkinbraes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, we applied in September, and have been watching the timelines carefully. Unfortunately I have lost my visitor status in Canada, and sponsorship might be in jeopardy. The tale is here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=817478

Sorry for x-post but I know there's lots of helpful people who check this thread regularly.

Thanks
Old Dec 11th 2013, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Orlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of light

Hi All,
Some movement at last which will hopefully give the June Babies some hope!
Our ECAS status changed this morning to 'in process' - it says they started processing our application on 2nd December. I'll keep you posted…..
Old Dec 11th 2013, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Usually under the spousal applications CBSA don't ask for proof of funds as there are no proof of funds required under spousal sponsorships although the sponsor has to meet certain conditions

CPC-M will indicate where applicable whether or not the financial test is met. This is determined by taking into account the number of persons in Canada for whom the sponsor is responsible, including persons who are the subject of another undertaking signed or co-signed by the sponsor, and the number of persons included on the sponsorship undertaking, including non-accompanying family members. There are exceptions to the requirement for a sponsor to meet the minimum necessary income test. See R133(4).
Thanks again for the reply. I still don't understand exactly what happens at the border though. Shouldn't the Sponsor's financial test have been done during the application process already? They did approve us and grant me PR status with all our financial information and documents taken into account.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TOhereicome
How comes you have been waiting for 2 years for your COPR? Thats an insanely long time to wait without any income. I am thinking to come there and wait it out too but I can't afford not to work for such a long time. I applied in May and still have heard nothing since my sponsor was approved in June. I am a little anxious and just would like some idea as to how long it will all take. The lack of feedback is hard to deal with as one cannot plan properly for the future. Also once in Canada as a visitor, does it make any difference to the application if you go in and out of Canada often? Does your visitor status reset each time you re enter the country, so you could stay up to 6months at a time?
We needed to get at least a year of living together and sharing bills, accounts, insurance etc. before we could apply for PR. So the total time taken was a month shy of 2 years.

Last edited by skytek; Dec 11th 2013 at 12:56 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 1:35 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Orlaith - I updated you, put 2-Dec as the In Process date. Hopefully you hear something soon - what a nice Christmas present.

Originally Posted by cathkinbraes
Hello, we applied in September, and have been watching the timelines carefully. Unfortunately I have lost my visitor status in Canada, and sponsorship might be in jeopardy. The tale is here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=817478

Sorry for x-post but I know there's lots of helpful people who check this thread regularly.

Thanks
I read your thread but agree with what Oompa and Siouxie and others said - you may need to get in touch with an immigration lawyer, I'm not certain too many around here would be able to give you sound advice. They may try to give advice, but given your situation, it may be in your best interest to speak to someone who actually knows a bit more of the ins and outs of more complex cases! Usually when people around here recommend you speak to a lawyer, it's because the circumstances are that complex, and the advice you get from some internet posters might not be the right advice. (Note, MIGHT NOT BE...)
Old Dec 11th 2013, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Orlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=SchnookoLoly;11031190]Orlaith - I updated you, put 2-Dec as the In Process date. Hopefully you hear something soon - what a nice Christmas present.

Thanks so much. Fingers and toes crossed :fingers crossed:
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

megarhandi is an unknown quantity at this point

What conditions does the sponsor have to meet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.