Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Old Nov 28th 2010, 7:59 pm

K and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really nice
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

On looking at Steve's website (www.gainwave.co.uk) I see that another person has managed to get the very rare CO, I am starting to move up the list
Old Nov 28th 2010, 9:08 pm

K and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really nice

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
Didn't see that one coming.

We haven't moved up the list 'cos it's a new bod who has popped in.

Blast!!!!!

I started to get a little excited, as you move up the list your mind starts to think about what if!!

I get a case officer and the house has not sold??
Do I wait in UK after getting visa until house sold??
Do I wait for a better exchange rate??

Les you must be going through this as you are getting towards the top of the list.

I think that in our case if the house gets sold before we get a visa but after the CO we will go and wait in OZ for the visa.

If the house does not sell and we have the visa we are still going to go to OZ and leave it empty in the hands of the estate agent.

Well that is the thinking at the moment, of course that could all change by next week
Old Nov 28th 2010, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by K and M
......Well that is the thinking at the moment, of course that could all change by next week
Next week!!!

Our thinking changes every 24 hours.

P.S. I have put some of our thinking on 'that other place' that we must not mention or post links to, if you know what I mean fellow Pom who is soon be in Oz.

Last edited by Les Avalook; Nov 28th 2010 at 10:01 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sirmatt101
ECONOMY Why do some of us travel by such cheap methods?

Matt
Since when has a 'Colonel' travelled with the Privates?

Try and use your title for an ungrade.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

DavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to all

Hi - following the recent discussion regarding Driver Licences, has anyone any experience on securing Car Insurance in Oz (Victoria, in particular)? On the face of it, adverts on the TV etc seem to offer very similar insurance as here in the UK, but are there requirements to prove X number years No Claims - do NCB's exist in Oz - has anyone had any difficulty in obtaining reasonably priced insurance? In fact, does anyone have any idea was the average cost of insurance is (I know, how long is a piece of string - there are bound to be so many variables!) We hope to be able to buy a Landcruiser (probably 2nd hand) but initially might have to lower ambitions to something fairly small - maybe a Ford Focus or similar, until we have finalised our financials and the higher priority stuff like somewhere to live, buying a house etc!

Loving the Marmite - v - Vegemite debate but what about people like me? I can't stand either!!!!!!

Regards Gill
Old Nov 28th 2010, 10:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DavidandGill
Hi - following the recent discussion regarding Driver Licences, has anyone any experience on securing Car Insurance in Oz (Victoria, in particular)? On the face of it, adverts on the TV etc seem to offer very similar insurance as here in the UK, but are there requirements to prove X number years No Claims - do NCB's exist in Oz - has anyone had any difficulty in obtaining reasonably priced insurance? In fact, does anyone have any idea was the average cost of insurance is (I know, how long is a piece of string - there are bound to be so many variables!) We hope to be able to buy a Landcruiser (probably 2nd hand) but initially might have to lower ambitions to something fairly small - maybe a Ford Focus or similar, until we have finalised our financials and the higher priority stuff like somewhere to live, buying a house etc!

Loving the Marmite - v - Vegemite debate but what about people like me? I can't stand either!!!!!!

Regards Gill
If you visit BE's main Australia forum you will find thousands of threads on subjects such as drivers licences, and if you can't find one on a subject, please start one - drivers licences come up frequently so I'm sure you will get a speedy response
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54
Old Nov 28th 2010, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi - ....We hope to be able to buy a Landcruiser (probably 2nd hand) but initially might have to lower ambitions to something fairly small - maybe a Ford Focus or similar.....

Regards Gill
How about this:

http://www.greatwallmotors.com.au/de...ticle&ID=21674

Landcruiser size for Focus money.

Before you leave the UK ask your insurer for proof of 'no claims discount', simples.

Join the club! The debate has been won (by Marmite-of course) but Sir Matt just won't let go.

I think it shows the long term effect of eating the stuff as it is know to addle the brain.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

miscellaneous is an unknown quantity at this point

Regards Gill
I purchased a 1998 Nissan Pulsa, very low mileage, and continued with AAMI
who the owners had insured with, they were very helpful, and I got fully comprehensive with named drivers as and when necessary for $473 pa.

If I had had proof of my No claims from the UK, they would have taken that into consideration. but such is life. They also reduced it by $53 when I moved further out to Hastings. Vic. so no complaints.

regards
Elaine
Old Nov 29th 2010, 12:36 am
Just Joined

DavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to all

How about this:

http://www.greatwallmotors.com.au/de...ticle&ID=21674

Landcruiser size for Focus money.

Before you leave the UK ask your insurer for proof of 'no claims discount', simples.

Join the club! The debate has been won (by Marmite-of course) but Sir Matt just won't let go.

I think it shows the long term effect of eating the stuff as it is know to addle the brain.
Hi Les, Thanks for the website - interesting, will definitely give it a closer look! Cheers G
Old Nov 29th 2010, 3:12 am
Just Joined

MAZIE is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to all well we are on our way crown comming friday leaving early hours monday so i may not get another chance to get on thank you all for your help we will be back on the site when we get to A U S still cant belive its here lots of what ifs but what the hell here we go to all who are waiting good luck merry christmas to all best wishes mazie.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

framboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really nice

Didn't see that one coming.

We haven't moved up the list 'cos it's a new bod who has popped in.
We wondered exactly the same thing, where did the "Coopers" spring from, we also noted that they are using an agent, whereas we are not, don' know if this makes a difference. Spoke to daughter in Aus this morning, and she has not had an email yet. Does anyone know if you definitely get to hear about Case Officer via email or post??
Old Nov 29th 2010, 5:37 am

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Since when has a 'Colonel' travelled with the Privates?

Try and use your title for an ungrade.
Thats for sure

Matt (Pvt Ablution Cleaning Brigade Retd!)
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Katie1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

Or £21,456 in todays money compared with £17,165 in July 2009.
Hi Les,

what a terrible thought, it's just better not to look back but just onwards & upwards.

Really pleased to hear that you dont like Marmite or Vegemite - should we start a club of our own, see if there are any other takers ?

Katie
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:34 am

sandch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coloneldube
We've made it as far as Dubai albeit a little late leaving Gatwick due to someone being taken off the plane. On the subject of baggage allowance, our hold luggage was somewhat north of our allotted 80 kg but it went through fine. Similarly our hand luggage which was not weighed or checked in any way. Not so the lady at the next counter whose check in clerk was being quite officious and insisted on weighing hers. She was flying economy and the allowances are less.

It's still very surreal. I can't quite believe we are on our way at last. Three years in the planning!
We know how you feel!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:44 am

sandch is an unknown quantity at this point

Just catching up on all your chat folks. We were completely knackered by the end of yesterday but had managed to buy a car, register for Medicare (they found our previous records from 16 years ago even though we'd forgotten about them), and drive by some mostly naff rental properties. I'll let you know how we get on with insurance; I brought the UK NCD stuff with us so I hope that'll help keep the cost down. At a rate of 1.6 ish, new car costs seem to be similar, possibly slightly lower than those in the UK. Still suffering from the mandatory virus supplied FOC by the airline, but keeping going!

Will keep in touch, things should settle down soon.

Bye for now

Best wishes
Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.