Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why the USA ?

Why the USA ?

Old Apr 7th 2012, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why the USA ?

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
Constantly using the word "like" too, although that's really caught on now all over the US, only it's bloody annoying and makes grown women sound like high school students.
Hideous, my kids do that.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 5:32 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Hideous, my kids do that.
It's understandable for kids to do it, but when it comes to grown women in the workplace, I have zero tolerance for it. I've heard women over here have 20 minute conversations about nothing at all, just lots of "likes" or "like oh my gods" and mindless giggling.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

It's understandable for kids to do it, but when it comes to grown women in the workplace, I have zero tolerance for it. I've heard women over here have 20 minute conversations about nothing at all, just lots of "likes" or "like oh my gods" and mindless giggling.
IMO, the majority of American women are very immature.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 5:41 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
No arguments from me there, though my wife doesn't fit the prissy, immature cliquish mold, which is why she has never fit in, despite being American and born here.

There are exceptions, but I find women here to be overly girly and obsessed with cosmetics and trying to look young to the point that it becomes ridiculous.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 6:22 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tehori

So why the USA instead of say Aus
Why settle for second best, when you can have the best.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Shut UUUP, Ya know whaat
Old Apr 8th 2012, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tehori
So why the USA instead of say Aus which does share a lot of culture, sport, health care, humour, with Britain ?
Oz is a great country but it's also a desert in the middle of nowhere with some of the deadliest snakes in the world. Sure, Steve Irwin used to pick them up and swing them round with no problems; but then what happens, he gets speared to death by a Stingray. The wildlife in the Antipodes is seriously out to get you. At least here the most I have to worry about on the wildlife front is bears breaking into my bird feeder.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Apr 8th 2012 at 2:26 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Oz is a great country but it's also a desert in the middle of nowhere with some of the deadliest snakes in the world. Sure, Steve Irwin used to pick them up and swing them round with no problems; but then what happens, he gets speared to death by a Stingray. The wildlife in the Antipodes is seriously out to get you. At least here the most I have to worry about on the wildlife front is bears breaking into my bird feeder.
There are plenty of idiots around these parts with guns...

Robin Williams (the actor/comedian, not the author) may be partly right... whilst the 2nd Amendment might not actually say that we have the right to arm bears, I can see why the bears might want to actually carry arms...
Old Apr 8th 2012, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The Californians sound rather nasal for my liking, especially the women.
Nothing to do with the 2 most used words in California...
... diet, and...
... coke?

And not necessarily together...
Old Apr 8th 2012, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SATX John
Not to mention the many other perks:

Travel to every climate/season by car.
Space.... to do what you want

You can get pretty much all 4 seasons within AZ where we live. I am sure this is not unique in the US.

I experienced all 4 seasons just walking across the bridge by Waverley Station in Edinburgh - in the space of about 7 minutes - fantastic!!!

But you do have the choice here to get out of one season and in to another just with a drive, in pretty much the same day.

Space - the UK isn't exactly crowded.

But it does impact on the psyche - bigger house sizes etc - a definite plus I think.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

janicedean164 will become famous soon enoughjanicedean164 will become famous soon enough

Seems you're very judgmental considering how quickly you were willing to jump on someone else with "who the hell are you to criticize other people's accents". Do you happen to know the majority of American women? Because from both mine and my husband's experiences both British and American people have their fair share of immaturity. Or is it just OK for you to criticize Americans but anyone thinks of criticizing the British and you're all over them like white on rice?
Old Apr 8th 2012, 5:38 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Catfight!

Old Apr 8th 2012, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

janicedean164 will become famous soon enoughjanicedean164 will become famous soon enough

Its just I'm American and I took great offense to that, just like most British women aren't how they are stereotyped.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janicedean164
Seems you're very judgmental considering how quickly you were willing to jump on someone else with "who the hell are you to criticize other people's accents". Do you happen to know the majority of American women? Because from both mine and my husband's experiences both British and American people have their fair share of immaturity. Or is it just OK for you to criticize Americans but anyone thinks of criticizing the British and you're all over them like white on rice?
Yikes!! Someone got out of bed on the wrong side this morning!!! Okay, let me rephrase - most American women (I know or have met) are immature. Unless you are talking about hair, nails, shoes, shopping, it is impossible to have a conversation with them. I realize I don't know all American women, but this has been my experience here. And most (note I am saying most, not all) are obsessed with shopping!!!
Old Apr 8th 2012, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Yikes!! Someone got out of bed on the wrong side this morning!!! Okay, let me rephrase - most American women (I know or have met) are immature. Unless you are talking about hair, nails, shoes, shopping, it is impossible to have a conversation with them. I realize I don't know all American women, but this has been my experience here. And most (note I am saying most, not all) are obsessed with shopping!!!
Nope my wife is all good, had a lovely lie in actually. But it had seemed from catching up on this thread that you found it fine to make a sweeping statement about American Women but on the other hand pull some one up on doing something similar with British accents. Everyone is welcome to their opinions is all but from the handful(And let's be honest, the amount of people who can conceivably come into a person's life in their lifetime is minuscule in comparison to the population of either the US or the UK), how any of us can make such statement seems harsh.

I mean I was brought up in the East End of London & then Essex, doesn't mean I think everyone women is a single parent, council house living, alcoholic drug taking twat as there is a huge plethora of different people who make up the dynamic where ever you live. Now if you had said originally that the people you had come into contact with were such & such then fair enough. I mean where we live is very religious but doesn't mean we are going to say everybody is the same because they are not is all.

Just annoys me when a statement start's off with All men, All women, All Americans, All Brits, etc, etc as obviously it can't be.

Now we are off to enjoy the rest of this lovely day, I hope you have a lovely Easter weekend or what is left of it as least.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.