Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why the USA ?

Why the USA ?

Old Apr 3rd 2012, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future
Default Why the USA ?

Greetings from the Antipodes,I'm curious, why the USA for Brits seeing how it is nothing like the UK in culture, sport, health care etc etc etc ?

As a fairly long term visitor to the USA on four occasions the amount of religion in your face was well over the top compared with we Aussie/Kiwi heathens.

So why the USA instead of say Aus which does share a lot of culture, sport, health care, humour, with Britain ?

And yes they still bring up bodyline from time to time
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why the USA ?

Originally Posted by tehori
Greetings from the Antipodes,I'm curious, why the USA for Brits seeing how it is nothing like the UK in culture, sport, health care etc etc etc ?
Well, why would one want to move to a place that was exactly the same as the one that you had just left? For many people it is precisely the fact that the US *is* different that makes it attractive.
As a fairly long term visitor to the USA on four occasions the amount of religion in your face was well over the top compared with we Aussie/Kiwi heathens.
Yes, that is something of a culture shock but the intensity of it varies a lot depending on exactly where you are.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 10:01 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Family.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tehori

So why the USA instead of say Aus which does share a lot of culture, sport, health care, humour, with Britain ?

And yes they still bring up bodyline from time to time
I think the religion thing depends on where you live and with whom you associate. I've not come across much here in California, now or in the past.

I'm here for a number of reasons not least of which it's where my son lives and it is only a 10 hour flight back to the UK if we need to.

It is also because of the differing culture and the lifestyle. I've not been to Oz so I can't compare but I've always liked the easy going, out doors life style here plus the good weather is a factor.

There are, of course, negatives as well but overall I'm quite happy with my decision.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

I was an American born in a UK persons body - The only thing I miss is 5 Live and regular football on the TV. Of course, I'm rectifying both with Sirius XM and some use of <cough> proxies - so it's all good!

Actually - TBH - I'd love to go to NZ or Australia - but lack of guaranteed job and no-one to sponsor me put me off.

Last edited by Hawkini; Apr 3rd 2012 at 10:17 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hawkini
I was an American born in a UK persons body.
That is a very good way of putting it: shall have to steal that.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 10:44 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Family.
This is it for us this time too.

And the last time we lived here it was for work. IMO for most it's work and/or family . . . plus maybe for some the spirit of adventure (?) . . . .
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

It's very simple.

The West Coast is better than the UK in pretty much every department I give a shit about:

1. Scientific/engineering career opportunities
2. Salary
3. Weather
4. Mountain biking
5. Skiing
6. Beer
7. Food
8. Scenery
9. Good looking women with Californian accents

Since I have a good job with plenty of vacation and good health benefits (and the fact I am young and so far healthy), I am currently immune to most of the bad aspects of living in the USA.

So to get to the point, the UK and Australia can go **** themselves. Cheers!

(Hope that didn't sound too smug - I just think the West Coast is the dog's balls, especially Seattle)

Last edited by caleyjag; Apr 3rd 2012 at 11:07 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Met an American man - married him and moved here to be with him
Its not so very different from the UK ive found!
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I would say religion is a bigger deal here. It seems to crop up in unexpected ways, eg someone saying they found a good book about psychology, Jesus must have led me to it also some of the Jewish people are very heavy-duty.

Health care is ridiculous and looks like getting even worse.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't choose to come here - I was actually the trailing spouse. My husband got a job transfer and here I am 20 plus years later. We have since divorced, but I have adult children and grand-children so that's why I'm still here. I don't hate it here, but there are many things I don't like (guns, politics, in your face religion, to name a few). I would definitely move back to the UK if I didn't have children & grand-children here. I try to get back for a visit every couple of years, otherwise I think I would lose my mind!!
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all

In no particular order we moved to the USA for:

- $$$$$

- A new adventure

- Give the kids the option to live in USA or Europe when they are older

DD
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I didn't choose to come here - I was actually the trailing spouse. My husband got a job transfer and here I am 20 plus years later. We have since divorced, but I have adult children and grand-children so that's why I'm still here. I don't hate it here, but there are many things I don't like (guns, politics, in your face religion, to name a few). I would definitely move back to the UK if I didn't have children & grand-children here. I try to get back for a visit every couple of years, otherwise I think I would lose my mind!!
Yes the, I need an assault rifle for deer stalking is a rather strange mind set.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

lack of good jobs I would think would be a big drawback to Australia/NZ as a good number of us moved here related to jobs. I would love to move to Australia if it developed a decent semi-conductor industry my husband could get a job in. According to my husband that is never going to happen but you never know, as who would have guessed Australia would have one of the best unemployment rates ,(5.2% at the moment).
Yes, a lot of religion in TX but unless you talk about it, you really don't know, other than the excessive amount of mega churches of all favours.
I have a sister who lives in Canberra and a brother-in-law in Perth, so will definitely get there some day.

Last edited by jjmb; Apr 3rd 2012 at 11:53 pm. Reason: add
Old Apr 4th 2012, 12:07 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
9. Good looking women with Californian accents
This is really intersting. I wasn't aware that California women had an accent. Oh... wait - do you mean ValleyGirl-speak? That's like, soooo wicked!

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.