Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why move to the US?

Why move to the US?

Old Oct 5th 2012, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why move to the US?

Originally Posted by mwdake
Because for me it was

never being told I could not do something I wanted to do

never being told I did not come from the right background (social class)

never again having to listen to the teacher laugh at my best friend when my friend said he wanted to become a commercial airline pilot

never being told I did not go the right school

never being told I missed my chance to get higher education

never being looked down upon because of my working class background

never having to listen to that tripe about one's station in life or lot

and so on, I could go on.

Mind you I have been in the USA for > 30 years and I suspect attitudes in the UK have changed some
Very true, there's still a lot of middle class snobbery in the UK, they don't know what hard work is, most are on benefits but still take a holiday every year because with benefits they can afford it. So why come to the US they would have to work .
I myself wouldn't want to live anywhere else, especially when I go back to England every few years I can't wait to get back here, no middle class snobbery here , people don't care if you work at McDonald's or clean houses for a living.

The only problem will be when the Obama health care takes effect next year, that will be the downfall of this country, it's going to be socialized health care no matter what there trying to call it, where do people think all this money's going to come from to pay for it....working class taxes of course.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 4:10 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruth16
Very true, there's still a lot of middle class snobbery in the UK, they don't know what hard work is, most are on benefits but still take a holiday every year because with benefits they can afford it. So why come to the US they would have to work .
I myself wouldn't want to live anywhere else, especially when I go back to England every few years I can't wait to get back here, no middle class snobbery here , people don't care if you work at McDonald's or clean houses for a living.

The only problem will be when the Obama health care takes effect next year, that will be the downfall of this country, it's going to be socialized health care no matter what there trying to call it, where do people think all this money's going to come from to pay for it....working class taxes of course.
Actually it's quite interesting how someone who hasn't lived in the UK for 30 years, followed by someone who hasn't lived in the UK for 40 years, both see the UK as class-ridden. I seem to remember that Steerpike who moved to the US 20+ years ago also had the same thoughts (although he was a frightful northerner).

I don't see the UK as (currently) any more or less class-ridden than the US, in some ways the social infrastructure (NHS, taxation, public transport, etc) seems to make it less so.

This free glossy gets delivered to my apartment block.
http://www.nobhillgazette.com/
At the same time, I trip over several homeless on the 4 block walk to my local shops.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Well there is plenty of snobbery in Calabasas
Old Oct 5th 2012, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Workplace participation is higher in the UK than the US.

Strange that a person who seems bothered about class is so quick to use that label when it suits them.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
At the same time, I trip over several homeless on the 4 block walk to my local shops.
That magazine is a wonderful antidote to those that claim the US doesn't do class.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 5:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

... no middle class snobbery here , people don't care if you work at McDonald's or clean houses for a living. .....
That may be true, though I doubt it, but see what happens when it gets out that you live in a trailer! .... The impact is goong to be much worse than saying you live in a council house.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually it's quite interesting how someone who hasn't lived in the UK for 30 years, followed by someone who hasn't lived in the UK for 40 years, both see the UK as class-ridden. I seem to remember that Steerpike who moved to the US 20+ years ago also had the same thoughts (although he was a frightful northerner).

I don't see the UK as (currently) any more or less class-ridden than the US, in some ways the social infrastructure (NHS, taxation, public transport, etc) seems to make it less so.

To make it more interesting, I spent every summer for the last 40 years back in england
Old Oct 5th 2012, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That may be true, though I doubt it, but see what happens when it gets out that you live in a trailer! .... The impact is goong to be much worse than saying you live in a council house.
You sound a but snobbish yourself, thinking that only people that live in trailers work at those jobs....
Old Oct 5th 2012, 7:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Well there is plenty of snobbery in Calabasas
Same around here. I think she needs to get out more.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 7:58 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I"m not sure what bit of the UK you are talking about here, nor how you are defining middle class, but "middle class on benefits" sounds a bit odd.

Equally, I don't know what bit of the US you are in, but if you think there is no snobbery then you really need to open your eyes a bit, or expand your experiences, if you really think that the working poor are to be found in the same social situations as middle class.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 8:50 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
That magazine is a wonderful antidote to those that claim the US doesn't do class.
I have to say, I quite like seeing it on the doorstep - 5 minutes of entertainment about what the NorCal royalty have been up to. WTF they want their photos in a magazine like that always astounds me, no class whatsoever.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 8:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You sound a but snobbish yourself, thinking that only people that live in trailers work at those jobs....
I didn't say anything about what job you do - my point is that you could be a lawyer or a brain surgeon, but if you live in a trailer the part of the US population that doesn't will look down on you.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

You are so very true! some of the Americans i have had contact with can be utter snobs and id go so far as to say that quite a few Americans think very highly of themselves
Old Oct 5th 2012, 9:10 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

While both the UK and US have snobbery and class issues, the semiotics is different, completely different language of signs and cues. This results in people who have experienced class prejudice back in the UK not experiencing it in the US. I have personally found it quite marvelous (I think I have become more aware of how it was in the UK, by being exposed to its absence). It is of course a mistake to assume that because an individual no longer experiences or perceives it, that it does not exist. You have to learn a whole new language of those signs and cues.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 9:40 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
While both the UK and US have snobbery and class issues, the semiotics is different, completely different language of signs and cues. This results in people who have experienced class prejudice back in the UK not experiencing it in the US. I have personally found it quite marvelous (I think I have become more aware of how it was in the UK, by being exposed to its absence). It is of course a mistake to assume that because an individual no longer experiences or perceives it, that it does not exist. You have to learn a whole new language of those signs and cues.
My experience has been that the first thing someone asks when you meet them is, "What do you do?", and then "Where did you grow up?" and "Where did you go to school?" That's how they seem to sum people up here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.