Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why move to the US?

Why move to the US?

Old Oct 30th 2013, 2:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why move to the US?

Originally Posted by Sarah
Hell yes they are. The reputation of it being the land of milk and honey isn't going anywhere soon.
But there are only a handful of countries, mostly in northern (non-Mediterranean) Europe that are, in any objectively quantifiable manner, "better" than the US, and most of those criteria are matters of opinion as to how important they really are. For example, the NHS is more effective at delivering healthcare to low income people in the UK than the healthcare "system" in the US, so if that is important to you that is a plus point for the UK, however if you have adequate health insurance in the US you might not rate that as a plus factor for the UK.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 2:27 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But there are only a handful of countries, mostly in northern (non-Mediterranean) Europe that are, in any objectively quantifiable manner, "better" than the US, and most of those criteria are matters of opinion as to how important they really are. For example, the NHS is more effective at delivering healthcare to low income people in the UK than the healthcare "system" in the US, so if that is important to you that is a plus point for the UK, however if you have adequate health insurance in the US you might not rate that as a plus factor for the UK.
That's a bit of a hazy example because I do have perfectly adequate heath coverage here in the US on my wife's insurance and her premiums are reasonable. On the other hand, I'm a tight-arse and free at the point of service wins for me every time (as with PAYE in the UK, I never really noticed the tax coming out as it was already gone by the time I got paid).

This whole issue explodes with subjectivity anyway, to the point where if you were to actually look into it, I bet the split between happy in the US and not happy in the US is near enough 50-50.

The US isn't "better" than the UK and the UK isn't "better" than the US - one may just offer a slightly better fit for an individual over another and even that is time sensitive
Old Oct 30th 2013, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Well, in fairness, I went to the shops yesterday and they had both. Granted, they also had hemorrhoid cream and sanitary napkins but no country's going to want to be known as the 'land of pile cream and fanny pads' ...
"Did you find everything you wanted?"
Old Oct 30th 2013, 3:18 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
"Did you find everything you wanted?"
No, I just filled my trolley with a bunch of random shit because I didn't want it to be a waste of gas
Old Oct 30th 2013, 6:10 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I think you might want to ask your wife about the proper location for a sanitary napkin. Or is it that you haven't been using the hemorrhoid cream and now find it necessary to staunch the bleeding?

Regards, JEff
Well, in fairness, I went to the shops yesterday and they had both. Granted, they also had hemorrhoid cream and sanitary napkins but no country's going to want to be known as the 'land of pile cream and fanny pads' ...
Old Oct 30th 2013, 6:11 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I think you might want to ask your wife about the proper location for a sanitary napkin. Or is it that you haven't been using the hemorrhoid cream and now find it necessary to staunch the bleeding?

Regards, JEff
You read wayyyyy too much into that one!
Old Oct 30th 2013, 6:20 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Regards, JEff
You read wayyyyy too much into that one!
Old Nov 1st 2013, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Having to import Heinz baked beans through Amazon is a definite down side.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 4:11 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Gezza
Having to import Heinz baked beans through Amazon is a definite down side.
Ah, but you're in Chicago so it might not be an issue for you. I know I have seen them in Jewel-Osco stores, if they still have a British section. Meijer also has a British section but I haven't been in there for a while so I don't know if they have beans there.

Also, my wife picked me up a tin of US branded Heinz beans that were in tomato sauce. Think she got them at Wally World. Anyway, they weren't exactly like British Heinz beans but they did the job.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Safeway often has them.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 4:21 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Boiler
Safeway often has them.
We don't have Safeway here in Illiniois, though.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 4:45 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
if you have adequate health insurance in the US you might not rate that as a plus factor for the UK.
In the US, it is possible to have great health insurance, and then lose it.

If you become too ill to work, your employer coverage is going to evaporate with the job that you no longer have. There's the irony -- when you are in greatest need of the insurance, it goes away.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 5:37 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
In the US, it is possible to have great health insurance, and then lose it.

If you become too ill to work, your employer coverage is going to evaporate with the job that you no longer have. There's the irony -- when you are in greatest need of the insurance, it goes away.
cobra
Old Nov 1st 2013, 5:42 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

COBRA provides a maximum of 18 months of coverage, and monthly premiums have to be paid. Particularly for someone who is too ill to work, those premiums may be unaffordable.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 5:45 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Particularly for someone who is too ill to work, those premiums may be unaffordable.
I know someone in that exact situation right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.