Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why move to the US?

Why move to the US?

Old Oct 5th 2012, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

HappyGrrrl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why move to the US?

Well being born and raised in California may invalidate my opinion. However, here is my two cents. I lived in both the UK and the US. I did not, as an American find the class snobbery, but it may not have applied because I am American. I did find people reluctant to live around people who did not share their accent. I also did not realize there are about 68 accents there
People tend to live and work all within a 20-40 mile range of their home.
As someone mentioned its a big world out there and everyone should have the opportunity to experience it. My biggest pet peeve about the UK is "customs". I just couldnt understand why I had to pay a fee for something mailed to me from the USA.
Besides for that the UK is lovely, and it is much more culturally forward thinking, in many ways above the USA. OK thats my two cents
Old Oct 5th 2012, 9:56 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
My experience has been that the first thing someone asks when you meet them is, "What do you do?", and then "Where did you grow up?" and "Where did you go to school?" That's how they seem to sum people up here.
Yes I hate that sort of grilling but then they are hardly going to ask you what your ontological stance on Zen Buddhism is, are they?
Old Oct 5th 2012, 10:01 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HappyGrrrl
Well being born and raised in California may invalidate my opinion. However, here is my two cents. I lived in both the UK and the US. I did not, as an American find the class snobbery, but it may not have applied because I am American. I did find people reluctant to live around people who did not share their accent. I also did not realize there are about 68 accents there
As someone mentioned its a big world out there and everyone should have the opportunity to experience it. My biggest pet peeve about the UK is "customs". I just couldnt understand why I had to pay a fee for something mailed to me from the USA.
Besides for that the UK is lovely, and it is much more culturally forward thinking, in many ways above the USA. OK thats my two cents
Yes the accents are a very big thing in the UK. There was a spirited attempt by the last government to do dismantle the hierarchy but it didn't work.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HappyGrrrl
Is it possible NOT to live within a 20-40 mile range of your home?
Old Oct 5th 2012, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Depends on how relations are with your spouse!
Old Oct 5th 2012, 11:14 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Depends on how relations are with your spouse!
Restraining order, much
Old Oct 6th 2012, 2:26 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
My experience has been that the first thing someone asks when you meet them is, "What do you do?", and then "Where did you grow up?" and "Where did you go to school?" That's how they seem to sum people up here.
If that is all you experience of class snobbery here, then you are still in a fairly homogeneous area. If you live in a city, you will just about never see the urban lower income mixing with the urban and suburban middle income class socially.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 3:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Zen10
Yes the accents are a very big thing in the UK. There was a spirited attempt by the last government to do dismantle the hierarchy but it didn't work.
I have to say I was a bit shocked. I, like many Americans was familiar with about three types of English accents. lol Just when I thought I had the "ear" in a certain place. Id go to another place like say Liverpool, and it was like listening to Greek. Thank God everyone was really nice and spoke slowly to me once they heard me speak. I really enjoyed listening to everyone and trying on their accents. Lots of fun.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 3:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
HaHa Oh wow I was typing a bit too fast lol
Old Oct 6th 2012, 8:18 am
Just Joined

brogan007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Been in the US for 10 yrs now. See the USA as much more affordable, better climate, more positive attitude and much better service. Re. healthcare...I have a high-deductable policy ( $5k )...premium of $120 a month, after which I'm 100% covered. Pretty happy with it. I'm 55 yrs old.
Visiting the UK...I really don't know how they live there. A bulldozer couldn't drag me back! Even if the USA is not your thing....there's so many places in the world...why choose dirty, crowded, expensive old UK?
Old Oct 6th 2012, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Dc12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wvmtnr
Here is one person who understands it. The healthcare is great! It's finding good insurance that's hard to do. But it's out there.
Yes it is out there but for $$ the thing is here you can be wealthy and you're gonna get seriously ill at one point- If u have no healthcare and you new treatment- what happens to that massive bill you just ran up? No- healthcare in Europe is not 'free' but man- I never paid as much to the NHS as some healthcare polices charge- the issue is health insurance- not care- but ha such little return. I STILL get bills out the ying yang. Apparently it takes 3 locations and countless staff to read hcg levels for a pregnant woman and cost the insurance company 200$$ and cost me and additional $28- the system is broken. I heard one young woman at work saying ' I just hope I dont get sick when I'm older' hate to break it to ya kiddo!! Some people where I work have said they could never pay their medical bills off in ther lifetime- but hey ho- they don't want people 'abusing' the system!' However if America for this overnight it would create a mass frenzy if people getting treatment. Lol- I'd just like to live here and not worry about the cost of calling an ambulance or working so so hard to get in debt suing retirement- a lot of issues tie into healthcare- sick leave- maternity- old timers staying longer in work for coverage- somethinga gotta give.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruth16
Very true, there's still a lot of middle class snobbery in the UK, they don't know what hard work is, most are on benefits but still take a holiday every year because with benefits they can afford it. So why come to the US they would have to work .
I myself wouldn't want to live anywhere else, especially when I go back to England every few years I can't wait to get back here, no middle class snobbery here , people don't care if you work at McDonald's or clean houses for a living.The only problem will be when the Obama health care takes effect next year, that will be the downfall of this country, it's going to be socialized health care no matter what there trying to call it, where do people think all this money's going to come from to pay for it....working class taxes of course.
What freaking planet do you live on? Your post is a joke..................
Old Oct 6th 2012, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Derrygal
What freaking planet do you live on? Your post is a joke..................
Lol- the Americn planet- it's happened!!!
Old Oct 6th 2012, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brogan007
Been in the US for 10 yrs now. See the USA as much more affordable, better climate, more positive attitude and much better service. Re. healthcare...I have a high-deductable policy ( $5k )...premium of $120 a month, after which I'm 100% covered. Pretty happy with it. I'm 55 yrs old.
Do you have a link to the insurance company you use? I have a $5k deductible and my premium is 4 times what you pay.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Unless its through your employer? And also is it really 100% covere after deductible we have a similar plan but it is of what is 'eligible' towards a deductible and is it 100% covered of what is eligible after decidable met?? Eg we had a child- 1k went towards our 2500k deductible and paid the balance of what wasn't 'eligible' towards it- make sense? We paid about a total of 5-6k for a csection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.