Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why can't Americans drive ?

Why can't Americans drive ?

Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Seahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why can't Americans drive ?

I'm American and I can drive.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:52 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Don't let them do it!
The "city's" position is that if they don't do it the next town over will and will recieve the projected half million a year in tax revenue, which the town sorely needs. In fact the "next town over" has been ringing the developer's phone off the hook trying to get them to move the plan with tax abatements and other enticements. My friend's town has a much better location so it looks like the developer won't be swayed.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Rete[Roundabouts as you call them, or circles as we down here in lower New York State use to call them, are not a part of our roadways any longer. We did away with the last one about 40 years ago and that was the Hawthorne Circle as best I remember. So difficult to know how to use something that you are not familiar with.]

You should get upstate mate ! ........ They are constructing them everwhere. Saratoga seems to be getting as many as Milton Keynes
Old Jun 12th 2007, 2:35 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

There are some fundamentals:

1. Drivers Ed does a lousy job.
2. The driving test is way too easy to pass.
3. There is no social stigma in some areas if you drive without a license.
4. Driving standards/techniques are very different in different areas.
5. Bad Eyesight of many elderly drivers is not grounds for disqualification.
6. Arrogance is an American epidemic "My truck, My road, My way".
etc
etc
etc

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I see them all the time ...
1) The people who have no idea how to use a roundabout ..... They get halfway round and stop for some car comming from a side road :curse:
2) They sit in the middle lane when there are 3 lanes each way not even thinking about the vehicle in the right lane that wants to pull out and pass a slower vehicle, they don't move over, they just sit there and hold everyone up.
3) They slow down when they see a cop on the shoulder who is out of his car and giving someone else a ticket :curse::curse: .... FFS ! do they think he is gonna let that person go and chase them instead ? .... He isn;'t even in his car and has no idea how fast they are driving !
4) People who ignore 'Stop here on red' signs :curse: They pull right upto the intersection and in most cases prevent a truck from making the turn ... I just drive right up to them and make them back up .... IDIOTS

In England if you so much as put your wheel over that line you get a ticket for running a red light !
Old Jun 12th 2007, 2:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seahorse3
No you can't...you just think you can. Good morning Mr Seahorse.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 2:48 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
No you can't...you just think you can. Good morning Mr Seahorse.
Well, I'm American and I can drive........I can parallel park as well (although to be fair, not as well as my UK husband who can literally park the car with about an inch remaining on either end). I can even drive a manual transmission as well as an automatic, and I like it!

One speeding ticket back in the 80s, no other accidents or moving violations. And no, it isn't because I go 10 miles an hour in a 30 zone. I don't apply makeup in the car (that was for Rushman who I'm sure would have some comment about women drivers... ) and I try very very hard not to ever have the cellphone to my ear while behind the wheel. I think I'm pretty good at anticipating what othe drivers will do and acting accordingly.

So, it can be done.

~SG
Old Jun 12th 2007, 2:54 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a crap driver. I've terrified everybody who has ever ridden in the car with me.

Life is adventure.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 2:55 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
I agree with everything said so far, they are appaulingly bad drivers.

I find the motorway particularly scary as drivers incorporate from either the left or the right, you have to guess when the accelerating lane is going to end, people cross all lanes of the motorway on foot, bicycles, cars, unexpected traffic lights, poor road signs and markings in general, many drivers find it hard to stay in one lane (they drive automatic cars so all they have to do is hold the steering wheel FFS!).. but what annoys me the most is the bloody left lane drivers :curse: that force me to overtake on the right, they obviously can't read all the signs that say "stay on right lane except to pass"...
I sooo agree with you ..the most dangerous thing IMO, especially when you have to enter a motorway only for you to have to cross about 5 lanes of heavy traffic to take another exit on the opposite side in a few hundred yards, while battling traffic coming onto the freeway just before it!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 2:58 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
parallel parking...

if I ask my wife (American) to do it I get

she's been driving for 7 years....
The problem is I can parallel park beautifully..in the UK as I am used doing it the opposite way. I know its practice, to do it the other way but take too long and am embarrassed by the looks so drive on
Old Jun 12th 2007, 2:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Rete[Roundabouts as you call them, or circles as we down here in lower New York State use to call them, are not a part of our roadways any longer. We did away with the last one about 40 years ago and that was the Hawthorne Circle as best I remember. So difficult to know how to use something that you are not familiar with.]

You should get upstate mate ! ........ They are constructing them everwhere. Saratoga seems to be getting as many as Milton Keynes

I do, Patrick, but that would be upstate New York to Queensbury/Lake George and to the end of the Northway to Quebec. We/I do the trip several times a year to Lake Seneca and Elmira, New York, but that is Western New York State.

Haven't been to Saratoga, NY as of yet, even though it is on our way to Lake George and Quebec.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Seahorse3
Hello How are you this morning?
Old Jun 12th 2007, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
There are some fundamentals:

1. Drivers Ed does a lousy job.
2. The driving test is way too easy to pass.
3. There is no social stigma in some areas if you drive without a license.
4. Driving standards/techniques are very different in different areas.
5. Bad Eyesight of many elderly drivers is not grounds for disqualification.
6. Arrogance is an American epidemic "My truck, My road, My way".
etc
etc
etc
Over taking from both the right and left lanes on the motorway. Idiotic :curse: and down right dangerous.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 3:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
Over taking from both the right and left lanes on the motorway. Idiotic :curse: and down right dangerous.
Yes it is...terribly dangerous.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 3:45 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams

..AND SOMETIMES THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN GET PAST THESE CRETINS...
Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:29 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

3) They slow down when they see a cop on the shoulder who is out of his car and giving someone else a ticket :curse::curse: .... FFS ! do they think he is gonna let that person go and chase them instead ? .... He isn;'t even in his car and has no idea how fast they are driving !
The law in Florida requires you to slow to 20mph under the limit and if possible move over one lane. I think Georgia and Tennessee are the same

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.