Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Whole 'Dual Citizen Passports' Question Again

The Whole 'Dual Citizen Passports' Question Again

Old Dec 22nd 2015, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Whole 'Dual Citizen Passports' Question Again

I always use my US passport for the entire trip including online booking.

I would only consider using the UK passport when entering the UK if the EU line was considerably shorter than the non-EU line. However, a couple of times when I did that, I was asked upon exit why there wasn't a visitor stamp in my US passport. When I replied that I had entered on my UK passport, I was asked to produce it. So if you're going to act like a dual citizen by using 2 passports, make sure you have them both handy in case you are ever asked to produce the other one. It's just simpler to use the US passport for the entire trip.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 6:14 am
Just Joined

swiftaw is an unknown quantity at this point

I will shortly be a US?UK dual citizen, and shortly after I am planning a trip back to the UK from the US. I want to clarify the things I have read so that I use the correct passport at the correct point in time.

When traveling from the US to the UK
1. Check in with US passport, since US requires all citizens to leave US on US passport even though UK passport will be used at destination.
2. When arriving in UK, use UK passport

1. Check in with US passport.
2. When arriving in US, use US passport.

Always carry both passports and be prepared to show both if needed.

Does this sound about right? Are there any dual citizens out there that can confirm that this is what they do, or if they do something different.

Thanks.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swiftaw
1. Check in with US passport, since US requires all citizens to leave US on US passport even though UK passport will be used at destination.
2. When arriving in UK, use UK passport
Correct.

1. Check in with US passport.
2. When arriving in US, use US passport.
Correct.

Always carry both passports and be prepared to show both if needed.
Correct.

Does this sound about right?
Not "about" right... "exactly" right!

Are there any dual citizens out there that can confirm that this is what they do...
A dual US/UK citizen has just confirmed it!

Ian
Old Feb 7th 2016, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

swiftaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Great Thanks.

One last question:

What if I was heading from the US to say Brazil, rather than the UK. Brazil requires a visa from a US citizen but not from a UK citizen so obviously would want to enter Brazil using my UK passport.

Thus, I would imagine I would have to show both passports at check-in in the US, the US one because I'm required to leave the US using it, and the UK one to show that I can legally enter Brazil (since they won't find any record of a visa associated with my US passport)
Old Feb 7th 2016, 3:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

That's correct. My dual Iran/US citizen uses his US passport to leave and enter the USA, but uses his Iranian passport to enter Turkey because Iranian citizens don't need s visa for Turkey

Rene
Old Feb 7th 2016, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swiftaw
I would imagine I would have to show both passports at check-in in the US, the US one because I'm required to leave the US using it, and the UK one to show that I can legally enter Brazil (since they won't find any record of a visa associated with my US passport)
Correct - and, despite the law, there is no US immigration exit control... so make sure you book your tickets to Brazil using the info in your UK passport, because that's the one that will get you to Brazil without a visa.

Ian