Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Whole 'Dual Citizen Passports' Question Again

The Whole 'Dual Citizen Passports' Question Again

Old Dec 18th 2015, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

The Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Whole 'Dual Citizen Passports' Question Again

There have been lots of threads in regards to dual UK/US citizenship and entering/leaving between the two countries throughout the years, I understand, but having searched here and elsewhere people have differing points of view to varying degrees. Having looked at far too many, this leaves me a wee bit confused. Perhaps somebody (/ies) smarter than myself could verify if I've got anything wrong... or indeed right!

1. Booking the BA return flight online: enter UK passport information for myself in the passenger info field (? I've no idea if it matters, I just figure since I'd be using the UK passport when I touched down it would make sense. Hmm).
  2. When checking in at the US airport, present UK passport with ticket so it tallies with passenger information when arriving in the UK.
  3. Show UK passport to flight staff just prior to boarding.
  4. Show UK passport to UK border control.

And then when exiting the UK:

1. When checking in at the UK airport, show US passport with ticket so it tallies with passenger information when arriving in the US.
  2. Show US passport to flight staff just prior to boarding.
  3. Show US passport to US border control.

Is any of that wrong? People have said you need to use your US passport when leaving the US, so I don't really understand how that fits in, or makes my initial list wrong.

Apologies for the confused nature; I'm applying for my US passport just after Christmas and want to lock in exactly what to do that first time, so I know for the years to come.
Old Dec 18th 2015, 9:17 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Whole 'Dual Citizen Passports' Question Again

There have been lots of threads in regards to dual UK/US citizenship and entering/leaving between the two countries throughout the years, I understand, but having searched here and elsewhere people have differing points of view to varying degrees. Having looked at far too many, this leaves me a wee bit confused. Perhaps somebody (/ies) smarter than myself could verify if I've got anything wrong... or indeed right!

1. Booking the BA return flight online: enter UK passport information for myself in the passenger info field (? I've no idea if it matters, I just figure since I'd be using the UK passport when I touched down it would make sense. Hmm).
  2. When checking in at the US airport, present UK passport with ticket so it tallies with passenger information when arriving in the UK.
  3. Show UK passport to flight staff just prior to boarding.
  4. Show UK passport to UK border control.

And then when exiting the UK:

1. When checking in at the UK airport, show US passport with ticket so it tallies with passenger information when arriving in the US.
  2. Show US passport to flight staff just prior to boarding.
  3. Show US passport to US border control.

Is any of that wrong? People have said you need to use your US passport when leaving the US, so I don't really understand how that fits in, or makes my initial list wrong.
Apologies for the confused nature; I'm applying for my US passport just after Christmas and want to lock in exactly what to do that first time, so I know for the years to come.
US law requires you to enter and exit the US on your US passport, simples..
Old Dec 18th 2015, 9:55 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Book your ticket with your US passport, period. Use the US passport boarding in the US and in the UK. However, you can use whichever passport you wish to enter the UK.
Old Dec 18th 2015, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Is any of that wrong?
You really are overthinking this. By US law, you must enter and leave the US using your US passport - despite there being no immigration exit control in the US. So, just book everything with your US passport. When you arrive in the UK, enter using whichever passport you want - there's no obligation to use your UK passport. When you return to the US, present your US passport.

Ian
Old Dec 19th 2015, 12:14 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger View Post
Book your ticket with your US passport, period. Use the US passport boarding in the US and in the UK. However, you can use whichever passport you wish to enter the UK.
My dual national brother-in-law books flight on US passport, but presents BOTH passports at LHR.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 12:23 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky View Post
My dual national brother-in-law books flight on US passport, but presents BOTH passports at LHR.
That is his choice; he doesn't need to do so.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

The Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm View Post
So, just book everything with your US passport. When you arrive in the UK, enter using whichever passport you want - there's no obligation to use your UK passport. When you return to the US, present your US passport.
I suppose I wasn't sure if the US passport and showing the UK one at Heathrow there'd be a discrepancy with passenger information. And obviously vice-versa by showing the UK one at Heathrow to head back, and entering America on the US passport (wouldn't they think there's a missing UK passenger? Albeit with the same name). Thanks for the answers! I'm sure I'm over-thinking it, yes, but then again I want to file it away in my head and forget about it once I understand.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 12:55 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose I wasn't sure if, the US passport and showing the UK one at Heathrow there'd be a discrepancy with passenger information.
You seem to equate "discrepancy" with "malfeasance"... they aren't the same! You are allowed to have and use multiple passports.

And obviously vice-versa by showing the UK one at Heathrow to head back, and entering America on the US passport (wouldn't they think there's a missing UK passenger?
Nonsense! You're the same person.

Ian
Old Dec 19th 2015, 1:03 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need to show your US passport when leaving the UK. Otherwise they'll be looking for an approved ESTA.

Rene
Old Dec 19th 2015, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
You'll need to show your US passport when leaving the UK. Otherwise they'll be looking for an approved ESTA.
Yes, I figured as much. It's all good, then; I'll just use my US passport for everything except for when initially arriving at Heathrow.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 11:47 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I figured as much. It's all good, then; I'll just use my US passport for everything except for when initially arriving at Heathrow.
Precisely. Just use the automatic e-passport gates on arrival.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Precisely. Just use the automatic e-passport gates on arrival.
Which are a joke, but that's a whole nother thread ...
Old Dec 21st 2015, 1:29 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065 View Post
Which are a joke, but that's a whole nother thread ...
Never had any problems with them.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Never had any problems with them.
I came into LHR in November. They were so slow in processing people it was quicker to go through on the vistors side
Old Dec 21st 2015, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Hah, sadly I couldn't use the e-passport process anyway; although the photos I originally submitted were fine, so much colour was drained out of the digital version (I basically look like the Joker in it, with near-white skin and ruby red lips) the scanners can never get a successful match and I have to be verified manually anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.