British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   The Whole 'Dual Citizen Passports' Question Again (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/whole-dual-citizen-passports-question-again-869377/)

The Earl of Drumer Dec 18th 2015 9:14 pm

The Whole 'Dual Citizen Passports' Question Again

There have been lots of threads in regards to dual UK/US citizenship and entering/leaving between the two countries throughout the years, I understand, but having searched here and elsewhere people have differing points of view to varying degrees. Having looked at far too many, this leaves me a wee bit confused. Perhaps somebody (/ies) smarter than myself could verify if I've got anything wrong... or indeed right!

1. Booking the BA return flight online: enter UK passport information for myself in the passenger info field (? I've no idea if it matters, I just figure since I'd be using the UK passport when I touched down it would make sense. Hmm).
  2. When checking in at the US airport, present UK passport with ticket so it tallies with passenger information when arriving in the UK.
  3. Show UK passport to flight staff just prior to boarding.
  4. Show UK passport to UK border control.

And then when exiting the UK:

1. When checking in at the UK airport, show US passport with ticket so it tallies with passenger information when arriving in the US.
  2. Show US passport to flight staff just prior to boarding.
  3. Show US passport to US border control.

Is any of that wrong? People have said you need to use your US passport when leaving the US, so I don't really understand how that fits in, or makes my initial list wrong.

Apologies for the confused nature; I'm applying for my US passport just after Christmas and want to lock in exactly what to do that first time, so I know for the years to come.

mikelincs Dec 18th 2015 9:17 pm

Re: The Whole 'Dual Citizen Passports' Question Again

There have been lots of threads in regards to dual UK/US citizenship and entering/leaving between the two countries throughout the years, I understand, but having searched here and elsewhere people have differing points of view to varying degrees. Having looked at far too many, this leaves me a wee bit confused. Perhaps somebody (/ies) smarter than myself could verify if I've got anything wrong... or indeed right!

1. Booking the BA return flight online: enter UK passport information for myself in the passenger info field (? I've no idea if it matters, I just figure since I'd be using the UK passport when I touched down it would make sense. Hmm).
  2. When checking in at the US airport, present UK passport with ticket so it tallies with passenger information when arriving in the UK.
  3. Show UK passport to flight staff just prior to boarding.
  4. Show UK passport to UK border control.

And then when exiting the UK:

1. When checking in at the UK airport, show US passport with ticket so it tallies with passenger information when arriving in the US.
  2. Show US passport to flight staff just prior to boarding.
  3. Show US passport to US border control.

Is any of that wrong? People have said you need to use your US passport when leaving the US, so I don't really understand how that fits in, or makes my initial list wrong.
Apologies for the confused nature; I'm applying for my US passport just after Christmas and want to lock in exactly what to do that first time, so I know for the years to come.
US law requires you to enter and exit the US on your US passport, simples..

Nutmegger Dec 18th 2015 9:55 pm

Book your ticket with your US passport, period. Use the US passport boarding in the US and in the UK. However, you can use whichever passport you wish to enter the UK.

ian-mstm Dec 18th 2015 10:13 pm

Is any of that wrong?
You really are overthinking this. By US law, you must enter and leave the US using your US passport - despite there being no immigration exit control in the US. So, just book everything with your US passport. When you arrive in the UK, enter using whichever passport you want - there's no obligation to use your UK passport. When you return to the US, present your US passport.

Ian

S Folinsky Dec 19th 2015 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 11817271)
Book your ticket with your US passport, period. Use the US passport boarding in the US and in the UK. However, you can use whichever passport you wish to enter the UK.

My dual national brother-in-law books flight on US passport, but presents BOTH passports at LHR.

Nutmegger Dec 19th 2015 12:23 am

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 11817333)
My dual national brother-in-law books flight on US passport, but presents BOTH passports at LHR.

That is his choice; he doesn't need to do so.

The Earl of Drumer Dec 19th 2015 12:35 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 11817277)
So, just book everything with your US passport. When you arrive in the UK, enter using whichever passport you want - there's no obligation to use your UK passport. When you return to the US, present your US passport.

I suppose I wasn't sure if the US passport and showing the UK one at Heathrow there'd be a discrepancy with passenger information. And obviously vice-versa by showing the UK one at Heathrow to head back, and entering America on the US passport (wouldn't they think there's a missing UK passenger? Albeit with the same name). Thanks for the answers! I'm sure I'm over-thinking it, yes, but then again I want to file it away in my head and forget about it once I understand.

ian-mstm Dec 19th 2015 12:55 am

I suppose I wasn't sure if, the US passport and showing the UK one at Heathrow there'd be a discrepancy with passenger information.
You seem to equate "discrepancy" with "malfeasance"... they aren't the same! You are allowed to have and use multiple passports.

And obviously vice-versa by showing the UK one at Heathrow to head back, and entering America on the US passport (wouldn't they think there's a missing UK passenger?
Nonsense! You're the same person.

Ian

Noorah101 Dec 19th 2015 1:03 am

You'll need to show your US passport when leaving the UK. Otherwise they'll be looking for an approved ESTA.

Rene

The Earl of Drumer Dec 19th 2015 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11817357)
You'll need to show your US passport when leaving the UK. Otherwise they'll be looking for an approved ESTA.

Yes, I figured as much. It's all good, then; I'll just use my US passport for everything except for when initially arriving at Heathrow.

BritInParis Dec 19th 2015 11:47 pm

Yes, I figured as much. It's all good, then; I'll just use my US passport for everything except for when initially arriving at Heathrow.
Precisely. Just use the automatic e-passport gates on arrival.

md95065 Dec 21st 2015 1:28 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11817828)
Precisely. Just use the automatic e-passport gates on arrival.

Which are a joke, but that's a whole nother thread ...

BritInParis Dec 21st 2015 1:29 am

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 11818368)
Which are a joke, but that's a whole nother thread ...

Never had any problems with them.

rbackhouse Dec 21st 2015 10:06 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11818370)
Never had any problems with them.

I came into LHR in November. They were so slow in processing people it was quicker to go through on the vistors side

The Earl of Drumer Dec 21st 2015 1:17 pm

Hah, sadly I couldn't use the e-passport process anyway; although the photos I originally submitted were fine, so much colour was drained out of the digital version (I basically look like the Joker in it, with near-white skin and ruby red lips) the scanners can never get a successful match and I have to be verified manually anyway.