Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When did aeroplane become airplane?

When did aeroplane become airplane?

Old Mar 10th 2005, 3:22 pm
ImHere

Default Re: When did aeroplane become airplane?

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I would have thought they would have known about the north african crocodiles?

Maybe those particular conquistadors hadnt been to Africa? I dunno, I wasnt there at the time.

Old Mar 10th 2005, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Maybe those particular conquistadors hadnt been to Africa? I dunno, I wasnt there at the time.
Ah... they probably saw them on TV.

Old Mar 10th 2005, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

My 28 month old son has been picking up more and more American words, diapers, cookies, chips etc but yesterday he did something that made me so proud...Most parents on here will know that even Bob the Builder has been given an American voice so when we went to Chucky Cheeses ( ) yesterday he was delighted to see a Bob the Builder ride, I put in a token and the theme music started, low and behold it was the voice of Neil Morrissey, my son looked at me and said "oh mummy, its the proper English one.."
Old Mar 11th 2005, 6:59 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Oh the travesty of Americanising Bob.

The worst has to be changing the episode about the baby hedgehogs to *porcupines*. Alright, we don't have hedgehogs over here in Texas, anyway, but sheesh, to see a claymation hedgehog being constantly referred to as a porcupine? :scared:

Wendy has been turned into adoring-Bob Barbie instead of no-nonsense what-would-I-do-without-her sorta Scottish Wendy. Only Dizzy has managed to maintain a bit of the original charm.

aluminium aluminium.... I'll say it for you if you're in need of a fix, I'mHere.

After los conquistadores had shat themselves they probably reverted back to childhood in primal fear, even if one of them had known about crocs.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 11:47 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
Most parents on here will know that even Bob the Builder has been given an American voice
I was gutted, erm I mean my daughter was gutted, when we found out that Thomas the Tank Engine is Americanised too, and that Ringo Starr doesn't do the commentary on the US version. The Fat Controller is referred to by his full name of Sir Topham Hat.

* Goes to Amazon.co.uk to order some British TTTE DVDs. For his daughter, not for himself.*
Old Mar 13th 2005, 9:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
.... The correct written form used by Brits is either "I was sitting" or "I sat". 'I was sat' is definitely incorrect!
Not necessarily - if you were crippled and somebody carried you and placed you in a chair then "I was sat" would be appropriate.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

londonerdanny will become famous soon enoughlondonerdanny will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ImHere
My 10 yr old put COLOUR in a spelling test and got marked down. She then proceeded to have a fairly hefty argument with the teacher that she had spelt it correctly. Eventually he let her have the mark as she is English. LOL.

Shes already started coming out with the Americanisms and we've only been here 3 months.
I think it's so cool that your daughter had the guts to stand up to her teacher. My fiancée is a total anglophile and always uses the British spellings - colour, flavour, favour etc etc and she tells me that "colour" and "color" are both correct spelling in the US - it's a shame your daughter didn't know this as she could have challenged her teacher to look it up in the dictionary him/herself !!
Old Mar 14th 2005, 6:49 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonerdanny
My fiancée is a total anglophile and always uses the British spellings - colour, flavour, favour etc etc and she tells me that "colour" and "color" are both correct spelling in the US
True, but if you want people to listen to you, you must write to the audience, not to yourself. I'm happy writing 'colour' on this forum, but outside I will always use 'color' so that people focus on the subject I'm writing about, rather than how I spelled individual words.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 7:06 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I have used the British spelling since I was 15 and thinking of emigrating to Canada where for the most part the British spelling is used (especially since this was 20 years ago!).

If I am writing something professionally, or for the kids' school etc where the "alternate" spelling will raise eyebrows, I'll use American spelling.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 11:39 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
True, but if you want people to listen to you, you must write to the audience, not to yourself. I'm happy writing 'colour' on this forum, but outside I will always use 'color' so that people focus on the subject I'm writing about, rather than how I spelled individual words.

I tend to use random variations of spellings...mainly because I type too fast and dont use a spell checker.

Old Mar 28th 2005, 5:11 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mediaguru
This isn't a troll, I just remember that I used to use the word "aeroplane" and even remember learning how to spell it back in England, but at some point I switched to using and saying "airplane". When did it switch? Everyone I know, both from the UK and America says "airplane" now which has only 2 syllables. Does anyone use the 3-syllable "aeroplane" anymore? Has it died out like the way that "luggage" is being replaced by "baggage"?
Reading Bill Bryson's book 'Made in America' tells me that by 1910 both words were in common use - airplane in US, aeroplane in UK. Aeroplane was first found in print in 1869.

I never liked our UK spelling anyway........