Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When did aeroplane become airplane?

When did aeroplane become airplane?

Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:30 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When did aeroplane become airplane?

Originally Posted by ImHere
Why dont we all just walk?
Get mighty wet feet on the way back to blighty.....
Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:41 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I don't understand why so many people are surprised that English in the US is spelled and pronounced differently than it is in Britain, or that the vocabulary is different. I mean, seriously, they are two different countries separated by an ocean.

Language is fluid, flexible. It will change and adapt over time and distance. Even though I am a native US citizen, there are times when I've heard other native US citizens talk, who are from other parts of the country (especially those from the deep, DEEP south) and I can't understand them to save my life. So what?

The same holds true for other languages as well. I remember years ago befriending a couple from Argentina while on a cruise. I was living in Chile at the time, and since my Spanish was better than their English, we conversed in Spanish. During one conversation, I mentioned that I like to collect t-shirts from the countries I travel to. When I told them that I had lots of t-shirts -- "tengo muchas poleras" -- their eyes got very wide and their mouths dropped open.

With very confused looks on their faces, they asked me to repeat myself, and I said "Tengo muchas poleras... erm, camisetas" -- and upon hearing me say camisetas they looked a bit relieved and started laughing. It turned out that while polera means "t-shirt" in Chile, in Argentina polera means "a slit throat"!! Does that mean that Chilean Spanish is better than Argentine Spanish, or vice versa? No -- it just means their dialects are different.

Same goes for American vs British English. To me, lorry will always, first and foremost, be a girl's name -- not a truck. To you, hearing someone use the word pants to describe the trousers they're wearing sounds odd. YOU may think American English sounds strange, just like WE think your British English sounds strange, but it doesn't mean one is better than the other.

~ Jenney
My 3 year old son had a speech assessment recently at his school - they were showing him pictures and he had to put words to them. When they got to a sandwich with a jar of PB and a jar of strawberry "stuff" next to it, I was just about to jump in and explain that we was about to say something they wouldn't understand, when he came out with "Peanut butter and jelly sandwich". I had NEVER heard him say that - seems he uses Jam at home when he's in an English speaking environment and Jelly at school when he's in an american-english speaking environment. I was kinda proud that he could make the distinction, although it did bring it home to me that if we stay here long enough, eventually he's gonna start saying "y'all" :scared:
Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
My 3 year old son had a speech assessment recently at his school - they were showing him pictures and he had to put words to them. When they got to a sandwich with a jar of PB and a jar of strawberry "stuff" next to it, I was just about to jump in and explain that we was about to say something they wouldn't understand, when he came out with "Peanut butter and jelly sandwich". I had NEVER heard him say that - seems he uses Jam at home when he's in an English speaking environment and Jelly at school when he's in an american-english speaking environment. I was kinda proud that he could make the distinction, although it did bring it home to me that if we stay here long enough, eventually he's gonna start saying "y'all" :scared:

scares the shit out of me as well, my 2 year old son described his nappy as a diaper the other day, I have never used that expression...no idea where he heard it
Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:51 am
ImHere

My 10 yr old put COLOUR in a spelling test and got marked down. She then proceeded to have a fairly hefty argument with the teacher that she had spelt it correctly. Eventually he let her have the mark as she is English. LOL.

Shes already started coming out with the Americanisms and we've only been here 3 months.

Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:55 am

My 10 yr old put COLOUR in a spelling test and got marked down. She then proceeded to have a fairly hefty argument with the teacher that she had spelt it correctly. Eventually he let her have the mark as she is English. LOL.
Good Girl!!! Wriggling out of a wrong answer (well, its an american test....) and beating the teacher in an argument! She'll go far!
Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:58 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
scares the shit out of me as well, my 2 year old son described his nappy as a diaper the other day, I have never used that expression...no idea where he heard it
Television adverts? I'm continually surprised by what my 5 year old picks up (good and bad) from telly.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 3:02 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Get mighty wet feet on the way back to blighty.....
Nah, just make the stilts a wee bit longer
Old Mar 7th 2005, 3:04 am
Lapine Member

Shes already started coming out with the Americanisms and we've only been here 3 months.
I'm glad he let her have the mark .... so many teachers feel the need to always know more than their students and never allow them to think otherwise.

Don't worry, we have to put up with the Californications ....
Old Mar 7th 2005, 3:15 am
ImHere

Ohh shes not a shy one when it comes to making her point about something

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Don't worry, we have to put up with the Californications ....
I did read that right....Im still wondering about the true meaning though

Old Mar 7th 2005, 3:22 am
Lapine Member

I did read that right....Im still wondering about the true meaning though

Pondering the true meaning of something? You've already been Californicated!
Old Mar 7th 2005, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Television adverts? I'm continually surprised by what my 5 year old picks up (good and bad) from telly.
must be I'm ashamed to say
Old Mar 7th 2005, 3:44 am
ImHere

Pondering the true meaning of something? You've already been Californicated!

LOL eek! now im scaredificated

Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:02 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

My 3 year old son had a speech assessment recently at his school - <snip>
But isn't the usage the same in both the UK and the US. That is:
a preserve made with whole fruit = jam / conserve
a preserve made with juice but no whole fruit = jelly
Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:08 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

I think you'll find jelly, in the UK at least, is more something made with hot water and sugar plus a load of artifical colourings and flavours...normally shovelled down kids throats in abundance with cream at parties.

Jam, on the other hand, is a pleasant spread to be put on a slice of toast and smeared all over the furniture.

Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:13 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
You have the American usage nearly correct above -- jelly usually contains NO pieces of fruit or whole fruit; pieces of fruit tend to be labelled jams and whole fruit labelled preserves.

What the jelly and ice cream contingent in the UK are enjoying we would call Jello -- a packet of flavouring and gelatin mixed with hot water and chilled to set into a wobbly mass, as the previous poster mentioned.

I do not think a distinction is made over there as to whether a jam contains whole fruit or pieces of fruit, or is made from juice. The thickening of the original mixture is accomplished by cooking it down, rather than with gelatin. Of course, then there's marmalade....

Last edited by snowbunny; Mar 7th 2005 at 4:16 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.