Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When did aeroplane become airplane?

When did aeroplane become airplane?

Old Mar 6th 2005, 7:34 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When did aeroplane become airplane?

"Laurie" is still in use as a nickname for Lau/wrence in the UK, just as it was in use in America in the 19th century (and is immortalised in Little Women).
Old Mar 6th 2005, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

My US husband only asked me the other day, "Is it aeroplane or airplane?" The spell checker for the software he was using indicated that "airplane" was incorrect. I was familiar with both spellings but couldn't decide which was right - my dictionary confirmed "Airplane = US Aeroplane = British".

There are so many differences between British and American English that it's not really surprising that confusion can occur, particulary when it comes to children. Even punctuation differs, as is the case with the Oxford comma!
Old Mar 6th 2005, 10:31 pm
ImHere

Im reading a great book at the moment called "Do you speak Amercian?" Its about how American English differs (and why) from British English,

Old Mar 6th 2005, 10:44 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
My US husband only asked me the other day, "Is it aeroplane or airplane?" The spell checker for the software he was using indicated that "airplane" was incorrect. I was familiar with both spellings but couldn't decide which was right - my dictionary confirmed "Airplane = US Aeroplane = British".

There are so many differences between British and American English that it's not really surprising that confusion can occur, particulary when it comes to children. Even punctuation differs, as is the case with the Oxford comma!
What is the Oxford comma? Same as the penultimate comma (next to last item in a list, eg cherries, bananas(,) and apples)?

Grammar also differs as does word choice. Americans will write "I was sitting" where Brits will write "I was sat."

My favourite lookups are Oxford or Cambridge-based dictionaries, or Bartleby, for British English definitions. I ought to have bookmarks for these but I don't!
Old Mar 6th 2005, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I don't understand why so many people are surprised that English in the US is spelled and pronounced differently than it is in Britain, or that the vocabulary is different. I mean, seriously, they are two different countries separated by an ocean.

Language is fluid, flexible. It will change and adapt over time and distance. Even though I am a native US citizen, there are times when I've heard other native US citizens talk, who are from other parts of the country (especially those from the deep, DEEP south) and I can't understand them to save my life. So what?

The same holds true for other languages as well. I remember years ago befriending a couple from Argentina while on a cruise. I was living in Chile at the time, and since my Spanish was better than their English, we conversed in Spanish. During one conversation, I mentioned that I like to collect t-shirts from the countries I travel to. When I told them that I had lots of t-shirts -- "tengo muchas poleras" -- their eyes got very wide and their mouths dropped open.

With very confused looks on their faces, they asked me to repeat myself, and I said "Tengo muchas poleras... erm, camisetas" -- and upon hearing me say camisetas they looked a bit relieved and started laughing. It turned out that while polera means "t-shirt" in Chile, in Argentina polera means "a slit throat"!! Does that mean that Chilean Spanish is better than Argentine Spanish, or vice versa? No -- it just means their dialects are different.

Same goes for American vs British English. To me, lorry will always, first and foremost, be a girl's name -- not a truck. To you, hearing someone use the word pants to describe the trousers they're wearing sounds odd. YOU may think American English sounds strange, just like WE think your British English sounds strange, but it doesn't mean one is better than the other.

~ Jenney
Gees, someone took this thread a bit too seriously.
Old Mar 6th 2005, 11:14 pm
Lapine Member

Trust me -- it's just that it gets very old to be told "you don't speak English." To which I ask, "Oh, do you speak another language?" The answer is usually "No." To which I respond, "Then you must have a babel fish in your ear!"
Old Mar 6th 2005, 11:32 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: When did aeroplane become airplane?

[QUOTE=snowbunny]
Grammar also differs as does word choice. Americans will write "I was sitting" where Brits will write "I was sat."

QUOTE]

The correct written form used by Brits is either "I was sitting" or "I sat".

'I was sat' is definitely incorrect!
Old Mar 6th 2005, 11:41 pm
Lapine Member

[QUOTE=Englishmum]
Originally Posted by snowbunny

QUOTE]

The correct written form used by Brits is either "I was sitting" or "I sat".

'I was sat' is definitely incorrect!
Hmmm.... I have noticed the above usage in several friends' writings. They seem to disdain the gerund form of verbs This calls for more investigation.
Old Mar 6th 2005, 11:45 pm
Lapine Member

Englishmum, was, of course, right, though apparently this is a common naughty habit:

http://www.surrey.ac.uk/Skills/pack/english/stood.html
Old Mar 6th 2005, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Trust me -- it's just that it gets very old to be told "you don't speak English." To which I ask, "Oh, do you speak another language?" The answer is usually "No." To which I respond, "Then you must have a babel fish in your ear!"
Can someone translate this for me?
Old Mar 6th 2005, 11:47 pm
Lapine Member

Why, you ain't got your babelfish in your eyes today?
Old Mar 6th 2005, 11:49 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

May I propose that we all use 'aerocraft'?
Old Mar 7th 2005, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why, you ain't got your babelfish in your eyes today?
I'm sorry but you're still writing in foreign,
Old Mar 7th 2005, 1:47 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Englishmum, was, of course, right, though apparently this is a common naughty habit:

http://www.surrey.ac.uk/Skills/pack/english/stood.html
I'm impressed you found this link
Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:22 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
May I propose that we all use 'aerocraft'?

Why dont we all just walk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.