Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

When did aeroplane become airplane?

When did aeroplane become airplane?

Old Mar 8th 2005, 2:41 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When did aeroplane become airplane?

Originally Posted by Ben
Are you hedging your bets there, snowbunny - married, single, ooooooh now lets see.

My other half is also full of useless information. Would you like two clones
No, I only take male clones who like female clones. But you can't blame me for asking -- you get to experience the joys of "small" talk My ex-husband never talked about anything, even sports, or work, or....

It is lonelier to be around people yet be ignored, than to be by oneself.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 2:52 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
No, I only take male clones who like female clones. But you can't blame me for asking -- you get to experience the joys of "small" talk My ex-husband never talked about anything, even sports, or work, or....

It is lonelier to be around people yet be ignored, than to be by oneself.
Just PM'd you
Old Mar 8th 2005, 6:36 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Someone talked to me! Someone talked to me!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 5:06 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by austin_d_powers
You seem to be missing the point.
When using the exact same English words, not different words for same object:

English: Lorry American: Lory
English: Trousers American: Trousirs

It's one thing to create new words for the dictionary; it's a completely different thing to change the spelling of an existing word in the dictionary (misspelling).
The word "airplane" is not a misspelling, it is a variant of "aeroplane". Just like "aluminum" is not a misspelling of "aluminium". Both are correct, just different spellings of the same thing.

I don't know what dictionaries you're looking at, but I have NEVER seen "trousers" spelled "trousirs". Ever. I tried looking up "trousirs" in several online dictionaries (Merrium-Webster, Dictionary.com, Cambridge, etc) and every search came up empty, "word not found". Maybe you have an American friend who simply doesn't know how to spell!

Also, in reference to the girl's name, Americans usually spell it Lori, Lorie, or Laurie. I've never seen someone with that name spell it Lory or Lorry, but I suppose someone probably does somewhere. I mean, I spell my name "Jenney" but most people spell it "Jenny" or "Jennie" -- doesn't mean they're right and I'm wrong, or vice-versa. In any case, Americans don't use the word "Lorry" to refer to a truck; they call it a "truck". It has nothing to do with how it's spelled.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 10th 2005, 6:25 am
Lapine Member

Oi Mr Powers

You trying to pull someone's leg?

Americans never use "lorry" to refer to a truck -- you know, things with wheels that haul freight. We are suspicious of Mexican trucks; you are suspicious about EU lorries.

Americans prefer to use pants to mean "that article of clothing that covers your waist, crotch, and encases both legs, separately" but will understand trousers. In general they won't misspell it if they use the word.

Here is a fun exercise given to American schoolchildren aged about twelve:

http://www.edhelper.com/ReadingCompr...rade6_1_1.html

good luck,
Amy

Last edited by snowbunny; Mar 10th 2005 at 6:31 am.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 11:55 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
...Just like "aluminum" is not a misspelling of "aluminium". Both are correct, just different spellings of the same thing...
Oh oh miss miss! Aluminum is a mispelling of aluminium - or to be more precise a mis-HEARING of aluminium. Apparently when aluminium first crossed the Atlantic to America at the turn of the C19th the name was mis-heard and hence the change in spelling occurred.

And I found out at the weekend while on a trip into the Seminole Reserve why Alligators are so called.... the first Spanish Conquistadors had never seen one so called it a large lizard, then when the settlers arrived they asked "What is that??" pointing to said 'Gator. The Conquisatdors replied "Yo no se. Esta El Lagarto" meaining "I dont know, its a Lizard". Voila! The settlers thought El Lagarto was Alligator.

Old Mar 10th 2005, 12:16 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Oh oh miss miss! Aluminum is a mispelling of aluminium - or to be more precise a mis-HEARING of aluminium. Apparently when aluminium first crossed the Atlantic to America at the turn of the C19th the name was mis-heard and hence the change in spelling occurred.

And I found out at the weekend while on a trip into the Seminole Reserve why Alligators are so called.... the first Spanish Conquistadors had never seen one so called it a large lizard, then when the settlers arrived they asked "What is that??" pointing to said 'Gator. The Conquisatdors replied "Yo no se. Esta El Lagarto" meaining "I dont know, its a Lizard". Voila! The settlers thought El Lagarto was Alligator.
Isn't that like the Kangaroo story ?

When the settlers first got to OZ they asked the Aborigines "What's that ?" and the Abos replied "I don't know" in their own language which was "Kangaroo"

Maybe it's apocryphal - anayone know ?
Old Mar 10th 2005, 12:47 pm
ImHere

I know the Kanagaroo story is apocryphal as the aboriginal word for the animal was "patagaran". No-one knows where the word kangaroo came from, but the OED suggests it may have been a localised word form used by a small tribe.

Old Mar 10th 2005, 1:26 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a misspelling. I actually wrote about "aluminum vs aluminium" last year:

"Aluminum isn't a shortening or renaming of aluminium. According to the International Aluminium Institute:

http://www.world-aluminium.org/history/language.html

'In 1808 Sir Humphrey Davy proposed the name ALUMIUM for the metal. This rather unwieldy name was soon replaced by ALUMINUM and later the word ALUMINIUM was adopted by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemists in order to conform with the "ium" ending of most elements. By the mid-1800s both spellings were in use.'

So actually, it was the other way around -- the American pronunciation of "aluminum" came first, then was changed to the British pronunciation. Both pronunciations are acceptable and considered grammatically correct."

~ Jenney
Old Mar 10th 2005, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

That's interesting; but I'm surprised they didn't think it was like a crocodile.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a misspelling. I actually wrote about "aluminum vs aluminium" last year:

"Aluminum isn't a shortening or renaming of aluminium. According to the International Aluminium Institute:

'In 1808 Sir Humphrey Davy proposed the name ALUMIUM for the metal. This rather unwieldy name was soon replaced by ALUMINUM and later the word ALUMINIUM was adopted by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemists in order to conform with the "ium" ending of most elements. By the mid-1800s both spellings were in use.'

So actually, it was the other way around -- the American pronunciation of "aluminum" came first, then was changed to the British pronunciation. Both pronunciations are acceptable and considered grammatically correct."

~ Jenney
That matches the all-knowing Wikipedia explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum#Spelling
Old Mar 10th 2005, 2:05 pm
ImHere

~ Jenney
Ok I ceed to you're greater knowledge. I still cant quite get used to hearing Aluminum though....and as for Parmesan being pronounced "Parmesiarn"...

Old Mar 10th 2005, 2:07 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
That's interesting; but I'm surprised they didn't think it was like a crocodile.

Which probably had also never been seen at that time?

Mind you, having come face to face with this 12 footer while we were there, I can honestly say that if i'd been a conquistador I wouldnt be staying around to study the subtle differences too long:

Last edited by ImHere; Mar 10th 2005 at 2:11 pm.

Old Mar 10th 2005, 2:14 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mediaguru
This isn't a troll, I just remember that I used to use the word "aeroplane" and even remember learning how to spell it back in England, but at some point I switched to using and saying "airplane". When did it switch? Everyone I know, both from the UK and America says "airplane" now which has only 2 syllables. Does anyone use the 3-syllable "aeroplane" anymore? Has it died out like the way that "luggage" is being replaced by "baggage"?
I blame airfix models....
Old Mar 10th 2005, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Which probably had also never been seen at that time?

Mind you, having come face to face with this 12 footer while we were there, I can honestly say that if i'd been a conquistador I wouldnt be staying around to study the subtle differences too long:
I would have thought they would have known about the north african crocodiles?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.