Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Whats the rudest thing that's been said to you?

Wikiposts

Whats the rudest thing that's been said to you?

Old May 17th 2005, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of
Default Re: Whats the rudest thing that's been said to you?

Originally Posted by Dant3
In 20 months I don't think I've heard so much as another English accent passing in the street, let alone actually MET an English person here. Yet the city is supposed to be swarming with us...where are they all?!

Don't know where abouts in LA you are, but you should check out the Fox and Hounds in Studio City, on Ventura Boulevard!!!
Old May 17th 2005, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by strim
I arrived home from work one evening and was greeted by the woman across the street with the words...

"Why don't you go back where you came from"

This was brought on by me parking my car outside her house. You can only park on one side of the street and it is the nearest spot to my house. The woman has one car and a driveway that fits three cars so it wasn't even as if I was depriving her of a park spot.

Another neighbour complained to me that the leaves from our garden were blowing onto her garden.

For gods sake have people nothing better to do
Nice neighbours and neighbourhood.
Old May 17th 2005, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
And therein lies the difference between California and the rest of the US. Aren't you glad you're here?
I was going to say. I grew up in California....beers and bbq are one and the same....of course it was usually crap beer, but still.....
Old May 17th 2005, 11:38 am
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

No rude comments so far - perhaps because I'm almost always with Himself (USC). I do notice though that quite often when I'm speaking, if the other person doesn't understand my accent and what I'm saying, they will simply ignore me and turn away rather than ask me to repeat or explain more clearly.
I do notice, too that most people here are self-obsessed. I suppose we all are to a certain degree, but in conversation one usually tries to give equal opportunity to the others present to put their views and experiences.
Old May 17th 2005, 11:48 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dimsie
...if the other person doesn't understand my accent and what I'm saying, they will simply ignore me and turn away rather than ask me to repeat or explain more clearly...
I've had that happen just the once, well, it was on the phone but more or less the same thing - the woman that had called had mispronounced my surname so I corrected her and said, 'Mrs S..., yes?' wanting to know why she'd phoned. Silly bird only comes back with, 'ok well I'll phone when it's more convenient then' and puts the phone down!

I was like, well, oooooook, whatever, (ignorant b*tch)!

Well, really, shouldn't get too mad as it was probably only one of those bloody charity-types wanting a hand-out so I don't think I missed out on anything.

Slightly swerving from the topic but I had some bloke phone up on behalf of some charity or other and he was saying it was a 'courtesy call' - what's that all about? If they had any courtesy they'd have not bothered calling me at all!
Old May 17th 2005, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Well for fair balance and all...............

Was very pleased when at the cinema last Friday got told by a very nice young man that I had a very pretty accent! LOL, guess I'm getting too old for any other type of compliment.

On the down side though, one of the secretary's at work was asking me how I would pronouce a certain word and this (supposedly educated) colleague of mine walks past and laughs that the secretary is getting elocution lessons from a foreigner....and no, it wasn't in jest, she was deadly serious!
Old May 17th 2005, 1:57 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie
Well for fair balance and all...............
<<snip>>

On the down side though, one of the secretary's at work was asking me how I would pronouce a certain word and this (supposedly educated) colleague of mine walks past and laughs that the secretary is getting elocution lessons from a foreigner....and no, it wasn't in jest, she was deadly serious!
To balance Dimsie's story, there's a particular colleague on my floor who has come to me on several occasions to ask about spelling and grammar in contracts. He's said he asks me because I'm "educated"!

NC Penguin
Old May 17th 2005, 2:03 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie
My wife, who is the only either non-native English or non-native Spanish speaker in her office, gets everybody else's must-be-right English and Spanish production for final proofreading!
Old May 17th 2005, 2:07 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
My wife, who is the only either non-native English or non-native Spanish speaker in her office, gets everybody else's must-be-right English and Spanish production for final proofreading!
Makes you a lucky man to have married such a smart woman!

I'll get my coat...

NC Penguin
Old May 17th 2005, 2:09 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Makes you a lucky man to have married such a smart woman!

I'll get my coat...

NC Penguin

Maths is not her strong point. But that's not a great problem as she works for a bank!
Old May 17th 2005, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
To balance Dimsie's story, there's a particular colleague on my floor who has come to me on several occasions to ask about spelling and grammar in contracts. He's said he asks me because I'm "educated"!

NC Penguin

Yep, they seem to swing in extremes one way or the other - on one hand, several friends and colleauges are always asking about the UK, language differences (and geography) and are keen to learn, on the other they have the massively smart arsed "we are right and you are wrong" attitude. This one normally comes from people who are either not too sharp, or people who are so up themselves its unbelievable.

On balance though, I'd say most people who I associate with are in the former category, thankfully.
Old May 17th 2005, 2:36 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I've got "Let me guess... I know, you're South African! No? Well then you're Welsh". I mean, WTF?
Old May 17th 2005, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

do you support Manchester United
Old May 17th 2005, 2:54 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Eskimo
do you support Manchester United

Did you punch them?

Old May 17th 2005, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ImHere
Did you punch them?
yeah he was 5

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.