Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What would you miss from the good 'ole US of A?

Wikiposts

What would you miss from the good 'ole US of A?

Old Mar 18th 2006, 10:01 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would you miss from the good 'ole US of A?

We all have our favorite foods and restaurants in Britain that we just don't like being parted from living overseas (pie and chips anyone? ). If you moved back to Britain what foods would you spend all your time craving from the USA that you can't find in Britain? (once you've caught up with eating all the things that you missed from home first!) I've thought long and hard about this and sadly my answer is "not very much!". There are restaurants that I enjoy, "Olive Garden", "Red Lobster" (sorry anyone that lives in Maine, Mass, Ca, or anywhere that you can get FRESH fish!!! but specific foods I can't think of any, I'm sure that there are some, lets see if anyone can jog my memory!
Old Mar 18th 2006, 10:07 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you miss from the good 'ole US of A?

Originally Posted by blaze
We all have our favorite foods and restaurants in Britain that we just don't like being parted from living overseas (pie and chips anyone? ). If you moved back to Britain what foods would you spend all your time craving from the USA that you can't find in Britain? (once you've caught up with eating all the things that you missed from home first!) I've thought long and hard about this and sadly my answer is "not very much!". There are restaurants that I enjoy, "Olive Garden", "Red Lobster" (sorry anyone that lives in Maine, Mass, Ca, or anywhere that you can get FRESH fish!!! but specific foods I can't think of any, I'm sure that there are some, lets see if anyone can jog my memory!
I wouldn't miss any single "American" food, and I wouldn't miss a single one of the chain restaurants, but a few of our local one-off restaurants are good enough to miss... for a minute or two.

I'd particularly miss the excellent Southern BBQ and ribs served by Kelly's East Side here in Plano.

I'd also miss the cheap, high quality sushi that can be found in a few places around here.

For Cajun and Tex-Mex, Pappadeaux in Richardson (and other DFW locations) is good... but certainly not good enough to miss for long!

When we just have to have a burger, they're surprisingly good (and reasonably priced) at Studio Movie Grill, where you can drink beer and eat while you watch a new-release movie on a bigger screen than in most multiplexes. I'd miss that.

Other than that? Nothing really. The family like big, soft pretzels, but we'd be perfectly happy without them. Same goes for Tex-Mex and Mexican food - it's OK but we'd live quite happily without it.

Mostly we spend out time going out of our way to avoid "American" food.

Last edited by dbj1000; Mar 18th 2006 at 10:12 am.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 10:13 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I wouldn't miss any single "American" food, and I wouldn't miss a single one of the chain restaurants, but a few of our local one-off restaurants are good enough to miss... for a minute or two.

I'd particularly miss the excellent Southern BBQ and ribs served by Kelly's East Side here in Plano.

I'd also miss the cheap, high quality sushi that can be found in a few places around here.

For Cajun and Tex-Mex, Pappadeaux in Richardson (and other DFW locations) is good... but certainly not good enough to miss for long!

When we just have to have a burger, they're surprisingly good (and reasonably priced) at Studio Movie Grill, where you can drink beer and eat while you watch a new-release movie on a bigger screen than in most multiplexes. I'd miss that.

Other than that? Nothing really. The family like big, soft pretzels, but we'd be perfectly happy without them. Same goes for Tex-Mex and Mexican food - it's OK but we'd live quite happily without it.

Mostly we spend out time going out of our way to avoid "American" food.
See, I knew that someone would remind me of something! Auntie Annies soft pretzels, the jalapeno kind with nacho cheese!
Old Mar 18th 2006, 10:36 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Franks hot sauce and buffalo wings

Also, the great variety of fresh fruit and veg, especially in the summer - corn on the cob, water melon etc. that are so cheap.

Can I put the weather
Old Mar 18th 2006, 10:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Your title didn't say 'just food' so here goes. I would miss the weather. It might be cold in winter here in Jersey, but most days the sky is blue and the sun is shining. We don't get a lot of rain. The summers are long, hot and humid and I love it. I would also miss my swimming pool. Oh and I would miss my big, gass guzelling SUV.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 10:43 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Access to cheap money.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 10:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Access to cheap money.
LOL
Old Mar 18th 2006, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

You can get Auntie Annies pretzel in England and they are exactly the same.

The biggest thing I think I would miss is the beer. Seriously.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 11:09 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

My favourite shop Target.

Let me think about the food
Old Mar 18th 2006, 11:17 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent beef at a low price
Decent, authentic Mexican food
Decent, fairly authentic, and inexpensive Japanese food
American Baked Beans (so much more flavour than Heinz 57)
Great pizza. (Never met a good one in the UK)
Good Italian restaurants that don't break the bank
Fish that isn't Cod, Plaice or "a nice bit of 'addock"

Sorry, but neither Olive Garden nor Red Lobster are acceptable places to eat in my book. They are little better than 2nd rate fast food joints.

There are very few food items I miss from the UK that I cannot make myself with a bit of effort:
A Staffordshire oatcake or three
A good Indian Restaurant I don't have to drive 20 miles to get to
Draft beer at cellar temperature
Home Brew kits in the Pharmacy
Pork Pies and Pickled eggs on the bar top
Kedgeree
Lambs' kidneys
Lamb's liver

no doubt there are more..........
Old Mar 18th 2006, 11:19 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

surprise surprise.....not one thing that is as long as my hubs was with me ...
Old Mar 18th 2006, 11:19 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I have been trying to eat well so was really pleased to discover Joe Patties Seafood, they have the most amazing range and have so far had fresh Grouper, Tilapia, Mahi Mahi and Tuna. My OH loves the crab legs and steamed shrimp (about 8 dollars a pound)

http://www.joepattis.com/
Old Mar 18th 2006, 11:24 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Minute Maid lemonade and Auntie Annies. So much nicer than English fizzy lemonade. (I know I could make it myself).
Our local Pizza take away, which is just a wooden hut in the woods but the best pizza I have ever had. Other than that not much.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 11:24 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

If the theme is restricted to food then for me it would be eggs benedict for brunch in a traditional diner. And Krispy Kreme donuts.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 11:26 am
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
If the theme is restricted to food then for me it would be eggs benedict for brunch in a traditional diner. And Krispy Kreme donuts.
are they good? krispy kreme?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.