Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What would you miss from the good 'ole US of A?

Wikiposts

What would you miss from the good 'ole US of A?

Old Mar 21st 2006, 7:34 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: What would you miss from the good 'ole US of A?

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
wi no shoes an a newspaper for us coat..............
You might have been poor, but by gad, at least you were literate!

If there is one thing I miss here is how great food smells and tastes in Europe.

Whenever I go on vacation to the 'home' country (cough cough..see my sig for a clue as to where I was born), I can live on fruit all day (that and their freshly baked rolls and pastries..yummy!) - you can smell the melons from two blocks down if anywhere near a market, and they taste tres delicious!

Now you've all made me homesick....eish.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 9:36 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
oh god - you telling me i'm old enough to be your mum

lol after i posted i read it again and thought you'd think that...lol think you're a male anyway
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:21 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
lol after i posted i read it again and thought you'd think that...lol think you're a male anyway
ha - could make a fortune out of that!
Old Mar 21st 2006, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

MNole is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cutina
are they good? krispy kreme?
They smell better than they taste. I'd miss steak and eggs at a diner.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 12:17 pm
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MNole
They smell better than they taste. I'd miss steak and eggs at a diner.
funny that, isn't it... i love coffee but it smells better than it tastes
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:00 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Why have I got an ad for Christian Dating Service on the screen? Is this Ray trying again to force me to get some class and go Premium? And what the hell's up with the name, 'bigchurch.com'? Sounds more like a pron site.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I would miss the choice of cereal in the US... and before anyone says it, I know it is full of sugar but I love Cracklin Oat Bran and Rasian Nut Bran... had to take a supply with me on my last couple of trips.

I also love Olive Garden so I would miss that too... Mmmm could just eat some of their Salad and bread sticks.

Ash
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 5:52 am
Just Joined

Fruit & Veg is just really niceFruit & Veg is just really niceFruit & Veg is just really niceFruit & Veg is just really niceFruit & Veg is just really niceFruit & Veg is just really niceFruit & Veg is just really niceFruit & Veg is just really niceFruit & Veg is just really niceFruit & Veg is just really niceFruit & Veg is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: What would you miss from the good 'ole US of A?

I'd miss Cheetos, Cuban food, Buffalo burgers and the range BBQ stuff you can get here. I love meat and BBQ sauce.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

1) Our house ! .... We could never afford anything like this back in the UK and we would NEVER be able to afford a swimming pool.

2) The scenery and the mountain air.

3) The coffee ............ Having just spent 12 days drinking instant crap back in the UK has made me really gratefull for good old fresh dround stuff. We found the best pizza I ever had at Prego's in Buckingham high street and they asked if I wanted fresh filtered coffee ? ... "Well yeah !" It was nothing like the good stuff over here.

4) Kate would miss Oreo's ... we obtained a box full at Costco in Milton Keynes ( trade customers only) but they were made in Spain.

5) Filling the tank on our car for less than 15 quid ..... The car we rented although very fuel efficient cost 75 quid to fill the tank.

6) The annual tax rebate ..... Just on the phone to the UK it now cost 40 quid more a year to tax any SUV there.

7) I never thought I would say this but ........ American bacon.

8) Applebees, O'Tooles, Ruby Tuesdays.

9) Being able to do my job without stupid rules and regs such as driving my truck at a very silly 56 mph everywhere.

10) Not being able to work the hours I want to. .... The workers time directive is a very stupid law.......... Not that I want to spend my life at work but I don't want the EU telling me that I can't work longer than 48 hours a week if I wanted to.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:28 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
7) I never thought I would say this but ........ American bacon.
That's fine - your kind are not welcome in back in the UK anyway
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:31 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

4) Kate would miss Oreo's ... we obtained a box full at Costco in Milton Keynes ( trade customers only) but they were made in Spain.
Thank buddha for that. No cancer-inducing crap in it then....

American Bacon? In the immortal words of Michael Caine, 'Words fail me'.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
That's fine - your kind are not welcome in back in the UK anyway
And what kind is that ? .............. I was made very welcome by everyone as it happens .... maybe it's 'your kind' that isn't
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TouristTrap

American Bacon? In the immortal words of Michael Caine, 'Words fail me'.

It just doesn't seem right to have a bacon cheese burger with rubbery under cooked fatty bacon.

I'm not saying I don't like British bacon ... I love it, but in some circustances it just doesn't seem right
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:34 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

And what kind is that ?
The american bacon loving kind.
I suggest if you want the back home that you just fry some streaky bacon for 35 minutes at max heat - job done
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:35 am
Thinking about it

It just doesn't seem right to have a bacon cheese burger with rubbery under cooked fatty bacon.
Where on earth have you been getting that - its usually fried to within an inch of its life where I am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.