Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What would you miss from the good 'ole US of A?

Wikiposts

What would you miss from the good 'ole US of A?

Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:16 am

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What would you miss from the good 'ole US of A?

I actually have found eating healthier far far easier here in Western NY. I even joined a frikking farming collective for ****'s sake. For $150 for a whole year I would receive a huge quantity of organic fruits and veg every single week. Not really possible in the UK where I was.

Also where I am at the moment is a huge variety of food - lots of different cultures all picked this cack-hole as a place to start over. So there's the good - Cantonese, Polish, Hungarian, Indian, Turkish, etc - and there's the truly awful - Italian American.

But the US does dfo one thing better than the UK - food that would kill an elephant. Fast food and pure shit is everywhere. It's no wonder people are so fat with this much corn starch, 24oz Coke for a buck, and gargantuan burgers on every street corner.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cuckoofrommars
I actually have found eating healthier far far easier here in Western NY. I even joined a frikking farming collective for ****'s sake. For $150 for a whole year I would receive a huge quantity of organic fruits and veg every single week. Not really possible in the UK where I was.

Also where I am at the moment is a huge variety of food - lots of different cultures all picked this cack-hole as a place to start over. So there's the good - Cantonese, Polish, Hungarian, Indian, Turkish, etc - and there's the truly awful - Italian American.

But the US does dfo one thing better than the UK - food that would kill an elephant. Fast food and pure shit is everywhere. It's no wonder people are so fat with this much corn starch, 24oz Coke for a buck, and gargantuan burgers on every street corner.
they have started doing delivery organic fruit and veg in the uk now I think it is called river cottage.....but no way is it that cheap
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:22 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You missed out the Yorkshire puds. How could you!

ohh love my yorkshire puds
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:25 am
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
We all have our favorite foods and restaurants in Britain that we just don't like being parted from living overseas (pie and chips anyone? ). If you moved back to Britain what foods would you spend all your time craving from the USA that you can't find in Britain? (once you've caught up with eating all the things that you missed from home first!) I've thought long and hard about this and sadly my answer is "not very much!". There are restaurants that I enjoy, "Olive Garden", "Red Lobster" (sorry anyone that lives in Maine, Mass, Ca, or anywhere that you can get FRESH fish!!! but specific foods I can't think of any, I'm sure that there are some, lets see if anyone can jog my memory!
I would miss bugger all, but i can't afford to go back!
Old Mar 21st 2006, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmals
they have started doing delivery organic fruit and veg in the uk now I think it is called river cottage.....but no way is it that cheap
You think it's new but for those in the civilized part of the UK (South of Watford), organic box delivery have been going on for years (at least 10 in my experience)...
Old Mar 21st 2006, 4:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Celsius
You think it's new but for those in the civilized part of the UK (South of Watford), organic box delivery have been going on for years (at least 10 in my experience)...

yep close to our place in surrey we have some local home grown organic farms that when i go back i buy from there..they've been producing for about the last 8 yrs. i was in there last week and the food although pricey is worth it. best we can do here is shop at wholefoods
Old Mar 21st 2006, 4:04 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmals
Isn't that Huge Furry-Chickenstall or whatever his name is? The little dishevelled chef from the TV series?
Old Mar 21st 2006, 4:40 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cuckoofrommars

In the UK we had at least 2 local organic farmers that would deliver (free) to our door their freshly grown produce. The cost was maybe slightly more than buying from a supermarket. Having said that the availabilty of organic food in the supermarkets was pretty good to.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 4:43 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Hey behave, we had it in backward Bradford from before forever
Old Mar 21st 2006, 6:49 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Newbies!!! I can remember as a kid going to the local farm for fresh milk (still warm, straight from the cow), and veggie grown totally naturally......its maybe only in the last 10 years that its been marketed as such, but its certainly not a new idea. Oh, or maybe that was just in uncivilised Yorkshire
Old Mar 21st 2006, 6:54 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Newbies!!! I can remember as a kid going to the local farm for fresh milk (still warm, straight from the cow), and veggie grown totally naturally......its maybe only in the last 10 years that its been marketed as such, but its certainly not a new idea. Oh, or maybe that was just in uncivilised Yorkshire
Did you have to walk for 4 miles uphill both times, in the snow?
Old Mar 21st 2006, 6:57 am
Account Closed

Newbies!!! I can remember as a kid going to the local farm for fresh milk (still warm, straight from the cow), and veggie grown totally naturally......
those were the days eh....mum used to talk about all local produce and just took it for granted
Old Mar 21st 2006, 7:07 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Did you have to walk for 4 miles uphill both times, in the snow?
wi no shoes an a newspaper for us coat..............
Old Mar 21st 2006, 7:19 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

wi no shoes an a newspaper for us coat..............
Luxury...
Old Mar 21st 2006, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by TruBrit
those were the days eh....mum used to talk about all local produce and just took it for granted
oh god - you telling me i'm old enough to be your mum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.