Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What a rip off

What a rip off

Old Nov 21st 2006, 10:14 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a rip off

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Unless you are (gross generalisation coming) part of the church crowd or african american, or retired
how do you know this? black people are meaner I know you never meant that?! even in an over generalisation this is some statement.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Decent salaries should be paid so people don't have to rely on tips. Tips should be rolled into the prices.
Totally agree.
We never tip less then 20% often 25%. Frankly getting tired of the whole tipping thing.
The staff should get paid by the owners, especially taking in to account how expensive eating out has become. 10% tip should be more then enough, for good service. Also getting tired of restaurants that are now adding 18-20% tip, on the bill. They then bring you the credit card slip, tip area is open, whoops. Another rip off.
Really getting tired of "Europeans, especially Brits are bad tippers" All of my USC friends tip less then we do, mostly using the "Double the tax", as a tip.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Totally agree.
We never tip less then 20% often 25%. Frankly getting tired of the whole tipping thing.
The staff should get paid by the owners, especially taking in to account how expensive eating out has become. 10% tip should be more then enough, for good service. Also getting tired of restaurants that are now adding 18-20% tip, on the bill. They then bring you the credit card slip, tip area is open, whoops. Another rip off.
Really getting tired of "Europeans, especially Brits are bad tippers" All of my USC friends tip less then we do, mostly using the "Double the tax", as a tip.
Reg. Frank R.
I think in popular tourist areas such as Florida...tips are automatically added on because a lot of their business is from foreign tourists...who don't usually give tips.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:14 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
how do you know this? black people are meaner I know you never meant that?! even in an over generalisation this is some statement.
Didn't say meaner, I said don't tip well.... its even protrayed in films from a comedy/satirical perspective... (by african americans)

As you can imagine, a retired, church-going african american will be expecting the SERVER to pay he/she to eat...
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't say meaner, I said don't tip well.... its even protrayed in films from a comedy/satirical perspective... (by african americans)

As you can imagine, a retired, church-going african american will be expecting the SERVER to pay he/she to eat...
I have absolutely no idea what you mean.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:18 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I have absolutely no idea what you mean.
I was replying to another poster...
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I was replying to another poster...
I realise that but this is a public forum...therefore could you please explain what you meant. I would be very surprised if the other poster understood it too.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Never heard of that
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Sally
Never heard of that
Do you understand it Sally?
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

Do you understand it Sally?
No
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

No

Is he saying retired, black, church going people don't expect to pay tips and think they should be paid to eat in restaurants? What do you think?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 21st 2006 at 11:38 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

Is he saying black church going people don't expect to pay tips and think they should be paid to eat in restaurants? What do you think?
He's saying 3 groups of people don't tip as much, if you were a member of all 3 groups that would bring you into "positive equity"?

Honestly haven't seen anything satirical about black or church-going tipping, retired people might tip less I suppose if they were hard-up.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:36 pm
Mr. Grumpy

He's saying 3 groups of people don't tip as much, if you were a member of all 3 groups that would bring you into "positive equity"?

Honestly haven't seen anything satirical about black or church-going tipping, retired people might tip less I suppose if they were hard-up.

My point was that people who fit into those categories don't tip well based on comments from pretty much every server who has ever discussed tipping or tips to me.

My use of the word satirical was referring to a films I've seen and african americans I know who make fun of themselves for not tipping well.

My combination of the three classes was my attempt at humour.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh yes I missed the 'retired' bit out. I can't recall seeing anything like that either.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Is he saying black church going people don't expect to pay tips and think they should be paid to eat in restaurants? What do you think?
In our area if you go out for brunch on a Sunday after 11 or 12, the overwhelming majority of people filling the restaurants are black churchgoers allways dressed to the nines and basically very nice people. Really loud, but friendly.
Can honestly say I've never seen any of them leave a table without a tip, not that its something you really go looking for, but niether have heard "complaints about service and no tip" discussions from them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.