Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What a rip off

What a rip off

Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:26 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default What a rip off

A lot of people in the various forums are always comparing prices, what's cheaper in the US versus the UK, Oz, Canada etc.
So I went out on Saturday night with a bunch of friends and we stopped by a new restaurant in trendy Santa Monica that has just opened within walking distance from my house. It's a New York style steakhouse and I thought I would check it out.
I ordered two Stellas, these were draught beers in a glass and were not even full Imperial British pints, the tab was $16, that's $8 a draught beer plus tip.
I also noticed they had a hamburger and fries on the menu for $22 :scared:
Anyone else been royally ripped off lately?
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:29 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a rip off

:scared: I guess that's not going to be your local then
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:43 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
:scared: I guess that's not going to be your local then
I'd say that's a safe bet. I don't think Macdonalds has to worry aboutlosing many customers either
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:48 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I'd say that's a safe bet. I don't think Macdonalds has to worry aboutlosing many customers either
just get britvic to open a pub near you then you know you won't get ripped off
I'm just annoyed that they never post the prices of cocktails etc in menus and I only know if I am ripped off or not when the bill comes.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:56 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people in the various forums are always comparing prices, what's cheaper in the US versus the UK, Oz, Canada etc.
So I went out on Saturday night with a bunch of friends and we stopped by a new restaurant in trendy Santa Monica that has just opened within walking distance from my house. It's a New York style steakhouse and I thought I would check it out.
I ordered two Stellas, these were draught beers in a glass and were not even full Imperial British pints, the tab was $16, that's $8 a draught beer plus tip.
Thats what you get in Santa Monica.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:00 am
Banned

Originally Posted by evoal2003
Thats what you get in Santa Monica.
It can be pricey, but that was just straight out ****ing greedy at $8 for a poxy draught beer. I felt like telling him to stuff it, and I'm not usually price conscious. I had my poser image to keep up, so I swallowed it.......... literally
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:16 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the land of the free. Free to rip us off.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:18 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally
This is the land of the free. Free to rip us off.
And I was free to walk out the friggin door after only 1 beer and will not return at those prices
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

where did you go arnie mortons?
that place is expensive.. $50 steak?
not bad food though, a little stuffy
its funny because they dont bring you a menu they bring a trolley with examples of the vegetables they will use, gian brocolli, potatotes the size of a small car, giant slabs of meat. Its a whole performance. Apparently they are supposed to be the best steaks anywhere...

And I was free to walk out the friggin door after only 1 beer and will not return at those prices
Old Nov 20th 2006, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

NYC last year. My Dad insisted on having pizza for lunch so he picked an Italian Restaurant down some side street. We ordered 2 pizzas (for 6), 2 desserts, 2 cokes, 2 beers, 2 glasses of red wine and 2 coffees.

It came to $192.00 plus tip.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelman
its funny because they dont bring you a menu they bring a trolley with examples of the vegetables they will use, gian brocolli, potatotes the size of a small car, giant slabs of meat. Its a whole performance. Apparently they are supposed to be the best steaks anywhere...
Do you mean Morton's Steakhouse?. They bring the raw food to the table instead of a menu...complete with live lobster moving around on the trolley. When my daughter saw the lobster she burst into tears. The food is very good but it's extremely expensive.

We went to the Marriott Marquis, Times Square around Christmas for dinner. We were charged $50 for a shot of Grand Marnier. Thank god I only had one. :scared:
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
NYC last year. My Dad insisted on having pizza for lunch so he picked an Italian Restaurant down some side street. We ordered 2 pizzas (for 6), 2 desserts, 2 cokes, 2 beers, 2 glasses of red wine and 2 coffees.

It came to $192.00 plus tip.
I would of just payed the bill and left a little note saying you can forget the tip at them prices WTF can they do about it, sweet ***** all.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:43 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

My ass would have been out the door as soon as I saw the $22 burger...caveat emptor
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by angelman
No some new independent place called Scarboni's.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We went to the Marriott Marquis, Times Square around Christmas for dinner. We were charged $50 for a shot of Grand Marnier. Thank god I only had one. :scared:
I was staying in the Ritz-Carlton in Seoul, S.Korea a couple of years ago and went to the hotel bar for a glass of wine. I noticed the wine was a cheap California red that can be bought in most supermarkets here for $7 a bottle. The bartender proceeded to pour the glass very delicately with white gloves on and making a right fuss. When the bill came it was $25 for the glass ( and not a very big glass either). I was expensing it but still felt like I'd been ripped off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.