Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What a rip off

What a rip off

Old Nov 20th 2006, 11:34 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a rip off

Originally Posted by lionheart
Would have been better if the women had bigger tits
Yes, how rude of them, didn't they know you were going to be there?!?
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Yup this sounds like my experience of the Melting Pot. $600 for 8 people. Not a good meal, not great service.Never again.
I quite like the place, but its not good value for money at all. Wish I had enough money to start up a franchise though, round here they are alwaysjam packed full and you need reservations at least half a week ahead.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:28 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
I would of just payed the bill and left a little note saying you can forget the tip at them prices WTF can they do about it, sweet ***** all.
Thats actually a pretty nasty thing to do in america.

The serving staff don't set the prices and even in high end restaurants get paid a complete pittance -often less than $3 an hour...
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:46 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bettyboop80
yes, avoid it! The food is 'ok' but certainly not great and worth the price they charge.
I can't believe all these negative reviews of the melting pot, I've been to 2, the one in knoxville and the one in nashville, the nashville one being a bit more modern..

I think the food there is pretty good, its an occasion-style restaurant and i certainly wouldn;t eat fondue once a week.

When i've been there with the wife or friends it normally comes out to about $140 per couple inc booze and tip... and thats for the filet and lobster

maybe people are comparing the quality to Outback?
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Thats actually a pretty nasty thing to do in america.

The serving staff don't set the prices and even in high end restaurants get paid a complete pittance -often less than $3 an hour...
I dont believe that for a minuet and if so they want there head looking at kissing peoples arse's for $3 an hour in the hope of getting a nice tip.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:58 pm
Mr. Grumpy

I dont believe that for a minuet and if so they want there head looking at kissing peoples arse's for $3 an hour in the hope of getting a nice tip.

Well you may not want to believe it but its a fact. I'm not sure why you have the 'rolleyes' smilie.

I have friends who work at mortons and ruths chris and they have no reason to lie to me. My wife was also a server for several years.

I don't agree with the system, but its the way it is. Its like complaining about hurricanes in florida or driving on the other side of the road - thats america.

If the service is bad, absolutely flay the server, anything else is not their fault and they shouldn't be punished - you should bring it up with the manager who if any good, will comp some of your meal....
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:00 pm
Mr. Grumpy

in the hope of getting a nice tip.

not sure how long you've been here but FYI 15% is being cheap, 18-20% is the norm. Unless you are (gross generalisation coming) part of the church crowd or african american, or retired
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Well you may not want to believe it but its a fact. I'm not sure why you have the 'rolleyes' smilie.

I have friends who work at mortons and ruths chris and they have no reason to lie to me. My wife was also a server for several years.

I don't agree with the system, but its the way it is. Its like complaining about hurricanes in florida or driving on the other side of the road - thats america.

If the service is bad, absolutely flay the server, anything else is not their fault and they shouldn't be punished - you should bring it up with the manager who if any good, will comp some of your meal....
Alright dont take me so serious, because for one thing I or we dont go in the door not unless we have some idea of the prices they charge, we do not have more money than sense. And I am not attacking other's by my last comment, end of.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:07 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely true. Two sisters put themselves through college waiting tables/bartending for $2.50 an hour + tips.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:10 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Absolutely true. Two sisters put themselves through college waiting tables/bartending for $2.50 an hour + tips.
I still cringe when I think of the times (when we used to visit rather than live in the US) we used to leave 10% or so, not realising that the tips were meant to make up the servers' wages. I'm sure a lot of European tourists are the same.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I still cringe when I think of the times (when we used to visit rather than live in the US) we used to leave 10% or so, not realising that the tips were meant to make up the servers' wages. I'm sure a lot of European tourists are the same.

My daughter worked as a server for a while. In Connecticut the server has to be paid the minimum wage + tips. In NJ servers normally work just for tips. Out of her tips each night my daughter had to 'tip out' to the staff that don't receive tips ie the people that bring you the drinks and clear the table. One night someone left without paying their bill...my daughter had to pay the bill...which came to more than what she earned that night. She even had to tip out 15% of this amount even though it had come out of her own pocket.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My daughter worked as a server for a while. In Connecticut the server has to be paid the minimum wage + tips. In NJ servers normally work just for tips. Out of her tips each night my daughter had to 'tip out' to the staff that don't receive tips ie the people that bring you the drinks and clear the table. One night someone left without paying their bill...my daughter had to pay the bill...which came to more than what she earned that night. She even had to tip out 15% of this amount even though it had come out of her own pocket.
OUTRAGEOUS
Old Nov 21st 2006, 4:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

not sure how long you've been here but FYI 15% is being cheap, 18-20% is the norm. Unless you are (gross generalisation coming) part of the church crowd or african american, or retired
Depends on the state, some states will include tips as part of the minimum wage, some don't....they don't in maine..wouldn't have a clue in Mass...tips in maine would be 10-20% depending on the place...around here it's around 12-15% and 20% for groups of more than 4 or so people, or in more plush places.

The problem is, leaving a crap tip is usually a sign that the place is shite, but over here, it is more a reflection on the server rather than the establishment, so your punishing the wait staff if the kitchens are crap, which is a tad unfair, I'll tip the wait staff I'll I'll comment on the receipt that the kitchen service was crap.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 5:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

OUTRAGEOUS
The owner of the restaurant owns 2 more in our village. The steakhouse where my daughter worked, an upscale restaurant where many celbs eat and a pub type restaurant. Apart from the upscale restaurant bookings can't be made...every night there are a dozen or so people outside waiting for tables. The guy makes a fortune and treats his staff like slaves. He doesn't pay the servers a bean and they subsidise the rest of his staff. Needless to say my daughter didn't go back after having to pay out over $150 out of her own pocket.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 5:52 pm
Mr. Grumpy

Originally Posted by Elvira

Totally agree. I have to educate my friends from the Uk when they come and visit....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.