Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is quality of life?

Wikiposts

What is quality of life?

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:21 am
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is quality of life?

Originally Posted by woodsey
costs a fortune, are you mad????? their kids clothes especially are fabulous. to get the same quality here, I have to buy my son, labels such as Quicksilver which are so much more expensive, I can buy him a well made pair of jeans from Next for about $20, his Quicksilver ones were $50.. Targets clothes aren't bad but again for the decent quality stuff it ain't cheap, the last pair of shorts I bought him were about $18, again no more expensive than Next. I could dress him very cheap from places such as Walmart but I'd rather not, thanks, they're so poorly made, shrink terribly in the dryer and give him a rash 'cos of the horrible materials they use..
From my point of view I hate the clothes here unless I'm prepared to spend a lot of money, there is no equivelant of places such as Next, M&S, Topshop etc etc, most shops either cater for teens or old farts, nothing in between. I have yet to find a decent pair of Jeans for less than $100, my last pair were $200.. I refuse to wear jeans that have tapered legs and a waist that sits just below my tits hence me spending a fortune...
I buy my quiksliver shirts etc at TJ max there $9.99 it the U.K there $30-$40.
You can also get billabong, rip curl etc. I have 2 really nice button up shirts (rip curl) they were $8 each, back home $50 at least.
For jeans, work trouses and fleeces I go to Old navy, very nice cottons they have there....jeans are $25, if you go to the sale rail you can get them for 10 bucks.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:28 am
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
costs a fortune, are you mad????? their kids clothes especially are fabulous. to get the same quality here, I have to buy my son, labels such as Quicksilver which are so much more expensive, I can buy him a well made pair of jeans from Next for about $20, his Quicksilver ones were $50.. Targets clothes aren't bad but again for the decent quality stuff it ain't cheap, the last pair of shorts I bought him were about $18, again no more expensive than Next. I could dress him very cheap from places such as Walmart but I'd rather not, thanks, they're so poorly made, shrink terribly in the dryer and give him a rash 'cos of the horrible materials they use..
From my point of view I hate the clothes here unless I'm prepared to spend a lot of money, there is no equivelant of places such as Next, M&S, Topshop etc etc, most shops either cater for teens or old farts, nothing in between. I have yet to find a decent pair of Jeans for less than $100, my last pair were $200.. I refuse to wear jeans that have tapered legs and a waist that sits just below my tits hence me spending a fortune...
I'm with Woodsey on this one. I love Next, Topshop, etc, and would rather drop money in those stores then the ones out here. Gap charges $30 for a plain white t-shirt which is ridiculous :scared: . My nine year old also prefers the clothes back in the UK, more choice and more fashionable.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
I buy my quiksliver shirts etc at TJ max there $9.99 it the U.K there $30-$40.
You can also get billabong, rip curl etc. I have 2 really nice button up shirts (rip curl) they were $8 each, back home $50 at least.
For jeans, work trouses and fleeces I go to Old navy, very nice cottons they have there....jeans are $25, if you go to the sale rail you can get them for 10 bucks.
TJ max, not to bad, but I cant stand the lay out of the place, looks like a thrift shop, having to sort through the rails of stuff Old Navy, sorry but no thanks, they are only maybe just a little step above Walmart.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:33 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeedsGirl
I'm with Woodsey on this one. I love Next, Topshop, etc, and would rather drop money in those stores then the ones out here. Gap charges $30 for a plain white t-shirt which is ridiculous :scared: . My nine year old also prefers the clothes back in the UK, more choice and more fashionable.
Plus it's unlikely that any of her friends will have the same top/trousers etc, which is a bonus!

I'm always being asked where I bought stuff that I wear. Also, lot's of people ask about my son's clothes (the ones bought in England). When people back home ask what he needs for his birthday or Christmas, I ask them to get him a cool t-shirt that has a funny saying on it. They don't seem to have many of them over here.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:34 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
TJ max, not to bad, but I cant stand the lay out of the place, looks like a thrift shop, having to sort through the rails of stuff Old Navy, sorry but no thanks, they are only maybe just a little step above Walmart.
There's nowt wrong with old navy - i just wouldn't wear their stuff in the US as I don't want to look like a pauper - good to bring back to the UK though.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:34 am
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean, there is a brand new TJ max just up the road from us, its actually really nicely laid out, but the older stores some are abit trashy.

They had last seasons man united shirts on sale for $15 the other week. The original nike price tag was $70
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:35 am
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Plus it's unlikely that any of her friends will have the same top/trousers etc, which is a bonus!

I'm always being asked where I bought stuff that I wear. Also, lot's of people ask about my son's clothes (the ones bought in England). When people back home ask what he needs for his birthday or Christmas, I ask them to get him a cool t-shirt that has a funny saying on it. They don't seem to have many of them over here.

That's what she loves more then anything, that none of her friends have the same clothes! God nine years old and already they are fashion queens, will it ever end
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:36 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

They had last seasons man united shirts on sale for $15 the other week. The original nike price tag was $70
Still a bit expensive for bog roll
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I ask for the same thing, clothes for the Boy please
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:38 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Still a bit expensive for bog roll
lol wouldn't even use it for that
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:38 am
Never right in the head!

[QUOTE=Patrick]

My Mum has 6 weeks vacation a year and goes abroad for 6 weeks and she works at Etams and my Dad is a Bus driver so that kills the argument about more vacation doesnt mean more holidays.

QUOTE]

Not exactly, how many people in there early 30's with 2.5 children go abroad 6 times a year? ...not many.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
There's nowt wrong with old navy - i just wouldn't wear their stuff in the US as I don't want to look like a pauper - good to bring back to the UK though.
Well to be honest I've never looked at the mens stuff
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:42 am
Never right in the head!

Well to be honest I've never looked at the mens stuff
as we speak I have a pair of jeans on from ON, there 3 years old, granted I only wear them in the winter, but yet to put my arse through them! good enough for work, but I wouldn't go disco dancing in them.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

if you want cool kids clothes, go to www.blackwagon.com gorgeous stuff..they've just started to stock no added sugar's range of t-shirts (which is English) for kids which I adore, not cheap but fabulous, excellent quality as well. If you search around on the net you'll be able to find quite a few other sites that sell really cool kids stuff but again it ain't cheap. I'm lucky in the city where I live we have a kids clothes shop that is owned by a guy from Manchester so he always has loads of great stuff in but the prices are :scared: :scared:

Last edited by woodsey; Feb 22nd 2006 at 6:49 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:45 am
Thinking about it

good enough for work, but I wouldn't go disco dancing in them.
Fair comment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.