What is quality of life?

Wikiposts

What is quality of life?

Old Feb 26th 2006, 12:25 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is quality of life?

Originally Posted by Jib Jib
Thanks, and apologies to any other Northern’s out there who aren’t beer swilling football hooligans, or chavs…..

David
david, you might want to move this to start a new thread all of it's own, maybe get more response...and yep i'm a scouser and love liverpool footie team..well, there aren't any others are there
Old Feb 26th 2006, 1:54 am

Fitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to all

I just think that in the states there's more scope and opportunities to try different things, and then there’s the people, I hate to bad mouth my own, but the north of England is full of beer swilling football hooligans looking for a fight, or chavs looking to steal your car..... I know America might have similar elements, but it’s a big place maybe there’s more change of being able to avoid those types of people?
David
The score in Houston for the last Thanksgiving weekend (4 day holiday) was 14 murders :scared: Although Houston is not considered a dangerous city; it is comparing it to a European city. I live in one of the better parts of town and we have just been notified by the local police to be very cautious due to a number of robberies. Believe me the issues you are pointing out are more serious here than what you will have experienced in the UK.
As for opportunities to try different things. Everything that's available here is available in any other European country if you look for it. There are many things which are not available here though. Think about comparing Milton Keynes and Paris and i think you can get the picture.
The weather is also a limiting factor here due to the heat and humidity. I've lived in countries with 45degree heat through the summer and until i came here really didn't appreciate humidity.
Perhaps another part of the States may suit you better but i believe the things you want to avoid are still ever present here.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 2:05 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fitz750
The score in Houston for the last Thanksgiving weekend (4 day holiday) was 14 murders

packed up yet
Old Feb 26th 2006, 2:09 am

Fitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TruBrit
packed up yet
Trying to get my act together and start
Old Feb 26th 2006, 2:33 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

This is a topic that I am not sure about. I currently live in England, but have been chasing a job in Houston for sometime now and this time it looks promising... now I've been to the states on holiday many times and loved it, but have no idea what it would be like to work there. At the moment I live in a small town on the North East Coast of England, it takes me 10 mins to get to work on the morning, and that’s in rush hour, I work 37 hours a week and can more or less come and go as I please, I have zero stress from work and last year I had 6 holidays, 3 of which were in the states, 1 in Asia and the other 2 in Europe. It takes me around a 20 mins drive to get to the beach and 15 mins to the countryside. However there isn’t that much to do, other than the outdoor stuff and that is limited by the crappy weather, being the North of England unless you like Football, sporting events are limited and personally I hate football, I've seen Ice Hockey, Basketball and Baseball in the states and loved watching them. So I guess the problem is that I have enough free time, but there isn’t too much to do with it, myself and my wife seem to spend our time either walking the dog, or going to the cinema. I just think that in the states there's more scope and opportunities to try different things, and then there’s the people, I hate to bad mouth my own, but the north of England is full of beer swilling football hooligans looking for a fight, or chavs looking to steal your car..... I know America might have similar elements, but it’s a big place maybe there’s more change of being able to avoid those types of people?
One last thing I should say is if I’m honest I’m not very work orientated, for me it’s a means to an end, I go because I have to and what I’m really looking for is a life where I work, but have enough free time to a enjoy varied and exciting life.

Thanks, and apologies to any other Northern’s out there who aren’t beer swilling football hooligans, or chavs…..

David
If you're not very work-oriented, then your QOL would go down if you moved to the US. There is almost an obsession here with working long hours, not taking holidays, etc. Threads on this forum are full of people saying they never have time to enjoy the fruits of their labour.

My advice would be to move elsewhere in the UK or in the EU - or at least talk to someone in the US who is in the same line of work as you to get their opinion. As suggested, start a new thread if you decide to do this.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 2:55 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

This is a topic that I am not sure about. I currently live in England, but have been chasing a job in Houston for sometime now and this time it looks promising...

David
If you don't mind living in a place where many people own guns (this is one of my many concerns, especially having a child). Do you have kids? If not, do you plan on having children? From what I've heard & seen myself, the education here is not on a par to England. These are my main concerns about living here personally. I would much rather live in England.

On the work side of things. Most employers here give their staff little annual leave (1-2 weeks a year I think is average) & mostly work longer hours (average working week here is 40 hours). Sick leave is minimal, sometimes unpaid, sometimes takes away from your annual leave. Health care is soooooo expensive, check out the health care insurance your future employer would give you here.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 8:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

One last thing I should say is if I’m honest I’m not very work orientated, for me it’s a means to an end, I go because I have to and what I’m really looking for is a life where I work, but have enough free time to a enjoy varied and exciting life.
you'll fit right in then because there's bugger all holiday time, they don't know what maternity leave means and sick time often comes out of your meagre holiday time.