Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is quality of life?

Wikiposts

What is quality of life?

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is quality of life?

Originally Posted by britvic
Woodsey's right your payed in pounds, so 20 pounds aint shit for a shirt.

You are right to a point. I deliberately think of dollars as pounds to minimize the effect of going home - so i think twice about spending say 50 bux on a shirt but would happily spend 25 quid at home (for example).

That said I often now spend on clothes in $ what i used to pay in pounds - now seeing as i get paid 1.74 times what i did at home that is cheaper!!!

To compare prices I always factor in the exchange rate as i cant be arsed with cost of living index etc etc.....
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:50 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Brooks Brothers is expensive, but the quality makes it worth it. Their dress shirts are the best I've found for $50-100 by a long way. The shirts will last you years, so it's worth it to spend a little more. I only go to their outlets, if possible.
Brooks Bros are extortionate by anyone's standards.
If I want to be served by an effeminate pensioner I'll go.....err....actually I don't know where I would go but the urge to be served by said individuals does not seem to have arisen as yet.
As for dress shirts better getting them from Thomas Pink or Tyrwhitts back in blighty as someone has already mentioned I think.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 10:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
If I want to be served by an effeminate pensioner I'll go.....err....actually I don't know where I would go but the urge to be served by said individuals does not seem to have arisen as yet.
Austen Reed?
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 10:11 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Austen Reed?
- though slightly unfair on AR. I think the Brooks Bros old boys have to watch are you being served as part of their company induction
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 10:52 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Are you freeeeeeee???
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 1:26 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

As for dress shirts better getting them from Thomas Pink or Tyrwhitts back in blighty as someone has already mentioned I think.
Theyhave online ordering and branches in the USA now (i found out today motivated by this thread)

I love their 25% off sale or buy one shirt get one free
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 1:44 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Having given it a lot of thought, I have come to the conclusion that my quality of life is better in the USA and I can't see myself returning to the UK in the near future. I feel like I can breathe here and while I miss many things from back home, all in all the pros outweigh the cons.

As far as clothes go, I used to love to shop in Next, Top Shop, M&S and all those we know and love, but I've adjusted after the initial trauma of not having them around, and now I just shop in Abercrombie and the Harley Davidson store! I can find everything I need on Ebay, as I have a quirky rock n roll taste in clothes and don't really go for the usual girly stuff, so on that score I'm happy.

As far as food goes, I still have trauma about missing Waitrose and Sainsbury's and it's traumatic for me to visit them when I go home, but now I just stock up on things I miss and look forward to the treat. I tend to eat a very healthy diet because I weight train so I just buy fresh chicken, veg and fruit and make my own stuff, so again I've learned to live with it.

I've moaned about missing the NHS and the differences in UK vs US healthcare, but again, all in all I'm happy in my job and I'll be staying where I am. I feel proud to work for a University hospital and quite priviledged to do so, and the money I earn pound for pound is worth more than I earned in England because of the cheaper cost of living.

I owned my own place in London and I loved it very much...it was sad for me to leave. I live in a rented apartment now but we're going to be buying a house this year, and I know I'll have more space, more rooms and more choices just because of where I live. In London I felt like I could never get away from people and everything felt cramped, old and draughty. In CT I'll probably have a couple of acres of wooded area and a huge basement for my music studio, so how could life not be better?

And finally, my music career is FAR better over here. More choice of equipment, more people playing my kind of music, more places to play...just better everything. Playing in a band in London was a pain in the ass and nobody gives a shit about live music over there. It's way more fun over here and I'm living my dream right now. I may moan with the best of them but I know how bloody lucky I am to live here and how lucky I am to be somewhere where so many other people want to get to and can't. I'm staying! I know that's true because when I go back to England I really love to be there but after a week I am so ready to come back home.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 2:45 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rockgurl

And finally, my music career is FAR better over here. More choice of equipment, more people playing my kind of music, more places to play...just better everything. Playing in a band in London was a pain in the ass and nobody gives a shit about live music over there. It's way more fun over here and I'm living my dream right now. I may moan with the best of them but I know how bloody lucky I am to live here and how lucky I am to be somewhere where so many other people want to get to and can't. I'm staying! I know that's true because when I go back to England I really love to be there but after a week I am so ready to come back home.
Good for you girl very positive post, I am envious as my music stuff was just starting to get going back home and people were paying me reasonable money for once. Could be old and grey before I build a network here but life's what you make it I guess
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:00 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Good for you girl very positive post, I am envious as my music stuff was just starting to get going back home and people were paying me reasonable money for once. Could be old and grey before I build a network here but life's what you make it I guess
At least give yourself a chance.
Its a bit unreasonable to expect that you'll establish a new network over here by the end of the week.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:04 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

At least give yourself a chance.
Its a bit unreasonable to expect that you'll establish a new network over here by the end of the week.
I know, I know but as I am now addicted to BE I'm not getting out much! You been talking to my OH? he keeps telling me to chill and enjoy the time I have while I have it. Just itching to be back in the middle of it all
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Drebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of light

What's wrong with being nearly 30 and still living at home ??
Everything. If you're healthy and able-bodied there's no excuse for staying at your parents in your late 20's. It's just sad. You might be able to have a flash car, but in pretty much every aspect of your lifestyle you're going to be stunted.

"Houses too expensive?" "I don't want to pay rent..." Well, boo hoo! It's not the 80's anymore, a house isn't something you're entitled to the moment you start working. That's what I do like out here TBH (at least in LA) people seem to be so much more driven to make an independent life for themselves. In the UK it's a worrying trend that it's seemingly okay to stay at home with mummy and daddy until you reach near-middle age. Especially with blokes.

All IMHO of course.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 1:51 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Drebin
but in pretty much every aspect of your lifestyle you're going to be stunted.
Chr*st on a bike - your parents must have been a barrel of laughs to live with
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 3:45 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Drebin

"Houses too expensive?" "I don't want to pay rent..." Well, boo hoo! It's not the 80's anymore, a house isn't something you're entitled to the moment you start working. That's what I do like out here TBH (at least in LA) people seem to be so much more driven to make an independent life for themselves. In the UK it's a worrying trend that it's seemingly okay to stay at home with mummy and daddy until you reach near-middle age. Especially with blokes.

All IMHO of course.
I thought only Italian men did that....

It is the land of opportunity. Due to its massive size, even a tiny piece of the pie is more than enough

Bradford, I'd approach Starbucks or other coffee places in your area and suggest you do it on a trial basis for a month or something. Live music is not freely available here in FL. In fact, it was one of the things I missed most when I arrived. S.A. was crawling with it I'm sure you'll be able to get your foot in the door somewhere
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 3:50 am
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
I thought only Italian men did that....
lol! what's funny is that my (italian) bloke's mum lives thousands of miles away, but it still feels sometimes that those apron strings can be pretty long.....but it gets better with time!
at least we get on ok
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 3:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cutina
lol! what's funny is that my (italian) bloke's mum lives thousands of miles away, but it still feels sometimes that those apron strings can be pretty long.....but it gets better with time!
at least we get on ok
LOL! I saw some show on the telly a while back where they were saying that Italian men were staying single and living with momma well into their 40's..and that it was some sort of trend or other.... (In Italy)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.