Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is quality of life?

Wikiposts

What is quality of life?

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:11 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is quality of life?

Originally Posted by britvic
A single bloke still living at home buying an 8 year old car, very strange I must say
Not single, been with his (fit) girlfriend for eight years

I think she is getting cheesed off
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
I don't think you can include exchange rates at all. My mum thinks of a pound in the same way that I now think of a dollar so if something is cheap here at 15 dollars my mum is also likely to think its cheap at home for 15 pounds, and thats my point, a five dollar t shirt from target for my son is shite quality in comparison to a five pound t shirt from Next, to get the same quality I have to spend probably 15 dollars, which is like paying 15 pounds in the UK. When I go back I'm paying in pounds but thinking in dollars so it seems expensive but when I lived in England and earned money in pounds, I never thought a fiver for a decent quality t shirt from Next was expensive. You think a Next t shirt is expensive now because you live here and think in dollars but back in the UK you wouldn't have thought twice about paying 20 quid.
Woodsey's right your payed in pounds, so 20 pounds aint shit for a shirt.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:15 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
There's nowt wrong with old navy - i just wouldn't wear their stuff in the US as I don't want to look like a pauper - good to bring back to the UK though.

LOL, I'm the opposite

In the UK I wore priceyish clothes, over here I wear mostly any old tat, right now I have on gap jeans, j crew t shirt and a sweater by walmart

Since things are much less formal over here more of the time, as my friends call it 'chinoland', i tend not to spend my money on labels, but put it into things that i actually enjoy, my car, power tools, home entertainment shit
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:16 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottsinCT
I have great relatives in trade off for all the marshalls ralphs and tommy's I get all the next in return so its good for me and in Nottm they have a seconds shop so its even better haha I must say my kids have some absolutely beautiful England sweat jackets from next. I goto all the outlets here and stock up on t's and whatever but I am yet to find hte jeans I hate the women cut jeans here I can take my size into a changing room and they fall off in another shop they are too small. I bought these pair of Levis from the outlet Austin boot cut perfect and sod me they don't make em anymore found a pair on ebay but one size too big. don't you jsut hate that when you find that perfect jeans and they discontinue it!!!
You don't like the Muffin Tops look then?!?! Good to know!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:17 am
Mr. Grumpy

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
What's wrong with being nearly 30 and still living at home ??
There seems to be this big thing about setting up your own place, but if you don't mind living at home with your folks why should other people give you a hard time - rather live at home with my folks than bust my balls to buy an ex-council 2 up 2 down and fill it with tat from ikea.
Pretty weird to be making the beast with two backs when mum and dad are having a cuppa next door....

I personally think it shows a bit of lack of direction and ambition, buts thats only my arsehol'ish view of things
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:19 am
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
LOL, I'm the opposite

In the UK I wore priceyish clothes, over here I wear mostly any old tat, right now I have on gap jeans, j crew t shirt and a sweater by walmart

Since things are much less formal over here more of the time, as my friends call it 'chinoland', i tend not to spend my money on labels, but put it into things that i actually enjoy, my car, power tools, home entertainment shit
Unfortunately the things that has labels is the semi better quality we were always taught you are too poor to buy cheap!!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:20 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty weird to be making the beast with two backs when mum and dad are having a cuppa next door....

I personally think it shows a bit of lack of direction and ambition, buts thats only my arsehol'ish view of things
I agree. If my son thinks he's still gonna be living at home when he's 30, he's got another thing coming!!!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:23 am
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Partystar
You don't like the Muffin Tops look then?!?! Good to know!
LOL what a sight that makes but you think thats bad what about the ultra low ride when a woman bends down her Chocolate Starfish is in full view.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Not single, been with his (fit) girlfriend for eight years

I think she is getting cheesed off
8 years and still no place of his own or there's, still a bit strange though dont you think.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

LOL what a sight that makes but you think thats bad what about the ultra low ride when a woman bends down her Chocolate Starfish is in full view.
:scared: even worse is when their thong sticks out too..
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:31 am
Mr. Grumpy

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Three recommendations:

Brooks Brothers is expensive, but the quality makes it worth it. Their dress shirts are the best I've found for $50-100 by a long way. The shirts will last you years, so it's worth it to spend a little more. I only go to their outlets, if possible.

Dress shirts

www.ctshirts.com

Not many places better
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:32 am
Back where I belong!

Hahaha, the worst ones are those that are hugely obese, wear ultra low rise jeans with their Muffin Tops & then they bend over to reveal their chocolate starfish being cut in half by their dental floss!!! *where's the puking smiley?!?!*
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:36 am
Mr. Grumpy

Unfortunately the things that has labels is the semi better quality we were always taught you are too poor to buy cheap!!

Over here some of the stuff is so cheap its virtually disposable, its just difficult for me to get into that mindset
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
After reading through peoples replies about all the shit they do in america as opposed to the UK when all these things are available in the UK is what motivates you do to them here and not in the UK?

When I lived in Cambridge we used to pop down to Stanstead and go to Copenhagen, Dublin, Prague etc for the weekend at least once every couple of months. Go to London and see a show or game every couple of weeks and do lots and lots of stuff. There are afterschool programs in the UK and Sports on weekends

So why, all of a sudden when you guys move to the US do you all of a suddend discover it and do it?

One person said cost of concert tickets, it cost me $600 to see the Rolling Stones this year in Charlotte (not including transport and Hotel). I used to go to Leicester Square and get tickets for shows and concerts for under 20 quid.

My Mum has 6 weeks vacation a year and goes abroad for 6 weeks and she works at Etams and my Dad is a Bus driver so that kills the argument about more vacation doesnt mean more holidays.

So again the question is, what changes when you cross the pond that makes you go out to more concerts, spend more time doing recreational activities (which are open to you in Europe but you never took advantage of)
Strange though it may seem ..... I have to agree with you on this one ...... Jeezus what am I saying ?

I used to get a whacking 12 weeks holiday a year and usualy spent it here I worked for a roadshow company and was away for weeks on end which let it down a bit, before that I drove for a well known supermarket chain that fetured on here recently and had every 7th week off. I work much longer hours here and don't get paid by the hour, but by the mile. If you look at it dollar for pound living here I earn more than twice as much as I did in the UK, own a house twice the size with all the extras and never work weekends as I did back there. As I have been working for the same company for 4 years now I have earned a whacking 2 weeks holiday a year

Just as you did, I thought nothing of nipping across the channel at a seconds notice if I had a few days off.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:47 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Ok - the first bit is fair comment.
As for the rest, well maybe some people just don't want to follow the script - school, uni, job, car, house, marriage, kids, retire, die.
For me, though I don't live at home myself, I can see that it could give someone a lot of financial freedom that homeowners would not have at a young age.
On the flipside if you've back in Blighty and have been putting off buying your own place for the last 5 or 6 years you're in the sh*t now due to continually rising house prices - you could be stuck at home with mom and pops now whether you want to be there or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.