Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to do???

What to do???

Old Mar 28th 2013, 6:46 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do???

Sorry for your predicament.

I think someone might have already mentioned...... Learn to Drive.....

Try www.meetup.com to meet other young moms in your very local area. Even if that only gives you local "internet" friends. You may find that you connect and when the weather's better, you can walk to starbucks to meet up - or they may offer to pick you up before then.

I will say, having spent time with my friend in Sweden, that she takes her young children outside everyday, even in mid-winter. Double socks, gloves, etc and I think getting out of the basement even if it takes you longer to "suit up" than you spend outside would freshen your perspective a little. I've walked a mile from her house in a blizzard to get milk, and provided you wrap up well you should both be physically safe from frostbite.

Finally, and I'm sorry if you don't like this part of my response, the parents may have had different expectations from you too. Maybe if you said you wanted to pull your weight and cook half the meals, you could go to the store with them and buy the ingredients for meals you like. maybe explain that The baby is rambunctious because he's not out of the house. Ask for them to drop you off at the library for an hour so they can have space alone too.
I do think it's time for a family meeting, you may find that they have grievances about you that can be easily remedied. You said that your husband has a sister, ask her if you can spend a night at her house to give everyone a break.

Good luck for the future.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 6:49 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry you're having such a horrible time. No words of wisdom here but I hope you can get the driving sorted asap as that really does seem to be your best bet to maintain your sanity.

This should be compulsory reading for all those people who start the Desperate to Move to USA threads. Not that that helps you though.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
He literally just started one on Monday, not sure how long it will last though
What do you mean "not sure how long it would last though".

You and husband have been back in the US since Sept 2012 - has he had any job since then, or is this the first job he has had?
Old Mar 28th 2013, 6:52 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear this.

I can not help, but am one of the many ears here to share a rant.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 6:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
What do you mean "not sure how long it would last though".

You and husband have been back in the US since Sept 2012 - has he had any job since then, or is this the first job he has had?
'my husband has had on and off jobs but nothing stable yet'

The above is in Emma's first post.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
'my husband has had on and off jobs but nothing stable yet'

The above is in Emma's first post.
Sorry, missed this bit of information.

Not having a continuous job with regular income would definitely increase problems and tensions in the household.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 7:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No idea if it's a federal or a state thing, but down my way, as part of the department of education, there's a program that's funded from a grant called "ACCEPT", basically it provides for towns/counties to have kids drop in play groups as well as some age appropriate sessions as well as some things for parents.

In my old town, they also used the funding to provide a taxi service to those who are unable to drive. It seems less so in my current town, which caters to about 5 or so neighbouring towns, but in theory it's still offered.

Perhaps you might find something like that down your way? http://www.natickearlychildhood.org/ that's our old one.

Good luck!
Old Mar 28th 2013, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to say I am sorry you are going through such a rough patch. It is difficult when you can't get out. I moved to the US when my daughter was 2 and like you I could not drive. I used to walk to the thrift store pushing the stroller and felt like I was going to burn up! I wasn't used to the heat coming from Scotland. I felt very isolated, but my husband was in the US Navy and had a stable job. I will tell you something that might give you a laugh. I learned to drive and we had got a Ford Taurus. I was all excited and I told my husband I'll go and start the car as we were going out in it for our first car ride together.Our driveway was on a hill. I got in the car(luckily my daughter was not in the car) and had a brain fart and I had put the car in reverse and tried to start the car and it wouldn't start. So I ran up to the apt and to tell him the car is not working and when I looked back the car was rolling down the hill!! It rolled onto the rd and struck the median. Luckily no one was hurt but I was crying and I just wanted to go back to Scotland. Every time we had an argument I would say " I want to go back to Scotland" I was young. I was only 25 and in a foreign land. 25 years later I wish I was back in Scotland LOL. Anyway, try to learn to drive and hope your husband can keep a job. Do you have health insurance?Living in the US (for me anyway) isn't all it's cracked up to be. I miss being able to walk places too. My husband and I share a car and it makes things tricky. Best of luck to you.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 8:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, more people should be made aware that the affidavit of support for joint sponsorship isn't worth the paper it's written on once here.
You don't know that for sure yet. You haven't yet applied for means-tested benefits. If you do, then the government will come to the sponsor first for repayment, and then to the joint sponsor. At THAT point, you will know if the I-864 is worth the paper it's written on or not.

The I-864 is not there for the sponsor or joint sponsor to give you decent living conditions or to treat you humanely, it's a financial-coverage-only document. And the only way to get it enforced financially is to either use means-tested benefits or find a way to sue the sponsor/joint sponsor, as JEff said.

Rene
Old Mar 28th 2013, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
It wouldn't be easy, and not likely something that you would want to do, but some people have been successful in suing their sponsor for the support required by the I-864. If your financial situation were desperate enough, you could sue your joint sponsor. I don't know whether you'd have to first sue your sponsor and fail to be adequately compensated, or if you could sue them both at the same time.

Regards, JEff
What would they be suing for?
Old Mar 28th 2013, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
Finally, and I'm sorry if you don't like this part of my response, the parents may have had different expectations from you too. Maybe if you said you wanted to pull your weight and cook half the meals, you could go to the store with them and buy the ingredients for meals you like. maybe explain that The baby is rambunctious because he's not out of the house. Ask for them to drop you off at the library for an hour so they can have space alone too.
I do think it's time for a family meeting, you may find that they have grievances about you that can be easily remedied. You said that your husband has a sister, ask her if you can spend a night at her house to give everyone a break.

Good luck for the future.
However difficult, I think all parties need to do some straight talking.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

...my husband's dad is an abusive alcoholic, his daughter's words not mine, and I don't want my son around him as he has shaken him and shouted in his face more than once...
Sounds horrible. Definitely don't leave your son in the care of your father-in-law. Your #1 priority is the safety and welfare of your son. If he's in danger of being physically abused and he's not eating properly, then you need to get out of there.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 8:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Suing for the minimum poverty level income as indicated on the I-864P Form. The sponsor/joint sponsor is supposed to keep the immigrant at that level of income until the immigrant meets certain criteria to end the I-864 contract. But the only way to enforce that is to sue the sponsor/joint sponsor.

Rene
Old Mar 28th 2013, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Suing for the minimum poverty level income as indicated on the I-864P Form. The sponsor/joint sponsor is supposed to keep the immigrant at that level of income until the immigrant meets certain criteria to end the I-864 contract. But the only way to enforce that is to sue the sponsor/joint sponsor.

Rene
Ah I didn't realize that. Thanks.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 9:13 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Support in an amount to keep them at 125% of the poverty level.

Read Part 8 of the I-864.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Mar 28th 2013 at 9:17 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.