Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to do???

What to do???

Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do???

Originally Posted by Michael
Can't your husband teach you to drive or is it a problem leaving your child with his parents? Once you have a few days behind the wheel, it'll all become easy.
I agree the driving is an immediate priority.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I agree the driving is an immediate priority.
Ditto
Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Can't your husband teach you to drive or is it a problem leaving your child with his parents? Once you have a few days behind the wheel, it'll all become easy.
Well after the way my husband's dad was with our son, I don't like the idea of leaving him unsupervised with him. But yes, I believe that is a priority right now.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Has you husband found a job yet?

If so, can't you rent a small apartment somewhere else?
Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
Well after the way my husband's dad was with our son, I don't like the idea of leaving him unsupervised with him. But yes, I believe that is a priority right now.
Doesn't he ever leave the house so that your son will only be with your husband's mom and you can then drive around the local area occasionally driving by the house to check to make sure he is not back? Until you start driving, you are going to be stuck and miserable.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Has you husband found a job yet?

If so, can't you rent a small apartment somewhere else?
He literally just started one on Monday, not sure how long it will last though
Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Does your Husband have any other family members that could maybe help out? Even if it's just watching the baby for a couple of hours, that would help with the stress at least, it may even be a way of getting in a few hours of driving lessons.

Is there a vehicle available to you once you start driving, or are you going to have to share the one hubby uses to get to work?

You should definitely contact the local SS office, it might be worth finding out if you have any options for benefits. You could just claim them temporarily, until you get out and about on your own.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

I would say learning to drive is a priority, then at least if you want to get out you could drive hubby to work and have the use of the car for the day. I did that for a while when I first moved here (same situation, living in his mothers house) and it saved my sanity.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Does your Husband have any other family members that could maybe help out? Even if it's just watching the baby for a couple of hours, that would help with the stress at least, it may even be a way of getting in a few hours of driving lessons.

Is there a vehicle available to you once you start driving, or are you going to have to share the one hubby uses to get to work?

You should definitely contact the local SS office, it might be worth finding out if you have any options for benefits. You could just claim them temporarily, until you get out and about on your own.
No, all his other family are elsewhere. Once I learn how to drive, it would be a case of me sharing the car my husband has for work, yes. My husband just started working I don't think we would be eligible to claim anything,
Old Mar 28th 2013, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you can learn to drive and find a job, there is a $3,000 tax credit for child care if you both work even if you don't pay taxes. So if you don't pay taxes, you will get a year end refund of $3,000 if child care expenses are equal or more than $3,000. Also if you and your husband do have taxes withheld, you can change your W-4 forms to account for the tax credit allowing you to get an additional $250 per month in your paychecks.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 28th 2013 at 6:07 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
I would say learning to drive is a priority, then at least if you want to get out you could drive hubby to work and have the use of the car for the day. I did that for a while when I first moved here (same situation, living in his mothers house) and it saved my sanity.
Yeah, the more I'm talking to all of you about it I'm realising that that's where the priority should be made. Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all of your advice and for reading my rant lol xx
Old Mar 28th 2013, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you can learn to drive and find a job, there is a $3,000 tax credit for child care if you both work even if you don't pay taxes. So if you don't pay taxes, you will get a year end refund of $3,000 if child care expenses are equal or more than $3,000.
I will look into this, thank you! I wasn't aware of it.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I will look into this, thank you! I wasn't aware of it.
Sorry my mistake. It is up to 35% of actual child care expenses (maximum $3,000 credit).

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Publication-5...are-Expenses-1

You can also get the credit when looking for work.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I also can't offer any advice, but I wanted to offer my sympathies too. I agree with others who've said that driving is a priority and that you could drive hubby to work and at least be able to get out during the day. The snow won't last forever!

I was lucky enough to have great in-laws and we didn't have to live with them when I moved here. No kids and me being a guy helped too!

I hope you manage to get something resolved soon.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 6:43 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't be easy, and not likely something that you would want to do, but some people have been successful in suing their sponsor for the support required by the I-864. If your financial situation were desperate enough, you could sue your joint sponsor. I don't know whether you'd have to first sue your sponsor and fail to be adequately compensated, or if you could sue them both at the same time.

Regards, JEff

BTW, more people should be made aware that the affidavit of support for joint sponsorship isn't worth the paper it's written on once here.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Mar 28th 2013 at 6:49 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.