Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What brought you to the USA?

Wikiposts

What brought you to the USA?

Old Feb 13th 2006, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What brought you to the USA?

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
ha ha like the last bit you are right of course...to say Brits all travel while American's don't is a huge generalization ...and lets face it America is huge while Britain is tiny with Europe cheap and accessible....though some miserable Brits feel a sense of superiority with their well travelled self....it's all bunch of crap..some Brits have never left their part of the world while many American's not only have travelled around the U.S but have been to several other countries including Europe...I always feel like my U.S friends are travelling, several even to the U.K over the years....maybe I'll sneak in a suitcase next time cos it's been a while since I've left Texas :scared:
Where in Texas are you ????????
Old Feb 13th 2006, 4:47 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
LA doesn't ever seem to close which is not necessarily a good thing in my case :scared: we live about 25 miles from downtown and the bar we like best over here closes when the last punters leave - its an "English" pub owned by an Aussie
I need to go there, it could be my sort of place!!! I don't want to be here anymore.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 4:48 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
my choice of LA was 2 fold

1. LOTS of games companies in the area, more than almost any other area in the world.

2. Warm all the time, I like the heat

Brisbane had 2 games companies both small, it is warm most of the time but it has the one thing that I didn't want... critters (spiders, insects etc) large enough to eat my dogs (chihuahua's).

Vancouver has many games companies but is cold.

where I am I get top notch health insurance, pretty darned good Employee stock purchase plan, royalties that actually make a difference (approx 20% salary last year) and around 40% MORE pay than I got in the UK (relative to cost of living etc).
...but are you happy?
Old Feb 13th 2006, 4:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
...all that is left is for me to say hello, and to hope i can have some positive input and make a contribution to the site.
love and bollocks!
Welcome to the site
Old Feb 13th 2006, 4:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
.... For years we've heard friends say that they don't want to come here to visit us because they're afraid of being shot lol....
They've probably met Ray
Old Feb 13th 2006, 4:58 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lolly

celtic angel may have missed your question, but she's in houston
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:07 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

what difference does that make?...are you implying I've met the only people in Texas who travel lol you can't generalise, travel for many Brits can mean 2 weeks in Spain every year....with a bunch of other Brits
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:15 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They've probably met Ray
heehee actually I cried for weeks before we moved Stateside...I was preggers though and thought that the show Cops was a glimpse into American life..pmsl...you yourself said you can see people walking around town with rifles..it can be a bit of a start when your from the U.k where the cops aren't even allowed guns :scared:
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I'm gonna reply to this on Patricks ID, so don't blame him if this seems sarcastic lol. Having travelled to the UK with him many times since being married, I can honestly say the same about most Brits that I've met. Many are so ignorant of American culture that its laughable. My step daughter even asked what language we speak here. They think the US is exactly like they see on Seinfeld or Friends, and most havent even taken advantage of visiting London, which is one of the worlds most historical cities and so accessable from everywhere in the UK that there's really no good excuse for it. Patricks friends and family travel to cornwall or blackpool for a holiday... or maybe even dare to venture as far as the lake district. Occasionally we'll hear of someone who's gone to Florida... but lets face it,... all Florida is is Tropical Britain. For years we've heard friends say that they don't want to come here to visit us because they're afraid of being shot lol.... that's hilarious... as if we all walk around with a gun strapped to our hip and shoot each other just for the hell of it. I wouldn't call Brits more adventurous... perhaps maybe your circle of friends or family are an exception????

And just out of curiosity.... why go to India when all you need to do to find Indian culture is pop down to local corner shop or nearest take away??? lol
I am off work today, so of course I am reading all the posts on here (it is addictive!). Anyway, I did say I was generalising and you are right with what you say too. My parents live in Spain and there are so many Brits who come there and complain that it's 'not like home'! You're in Spain!!!!! Of course it's not like England . So I do know what you are talking about. I suppose my family and friends are a little more adventurous than most. I am going to India because I am extremely interested in Buddhism and want to visit different places there connected with the Buddha. I also like Inidan food a lot!
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:20 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by simongb
. I also like Inidan food a lot!
i agree...when in rome and all that....beware i've been to india and the indian food is most defo not like our brits indian food...lol go careful
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:21 am
Back Again

Originally Posted by simongb
I am going to India because I am extremely interested in Buddhism and want to visit different places there connected with the Buddha. I also like Inidan food a lot!
can I come too?
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

what difference does that make?...are you implying I've met the only people in Texas who travel lol you can't generalise, travel for many Brits can mean 2 weeks in Spain every year....with a bunch of other Brits
no just wondered where in Texas you are I have just moved to San Antonio and feel like the only Brit here !!!!!
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:40 am
Back Again

no just wondered where in Texas you are I have just moved to San Antonio and feel like the only Brit here !!!!!
so you've not enjoyed the lovely summers here yet then
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

...you yourself said you can see people walking around town with rifles..it can be a bit of a start when your from the U.k where the cops aren't even allowed guns :scared:
it's the sexy fashion sense that gets me, those bright orange jumpsuits and shotguns, oh baby....and yet hunting is still so popular
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i agree...when in rome and all that....beware i've been to india and the indian food is most defo not like our brits indian food...lol go careful
It can be a proper ring cleaner for sure

And cockroaches in the Ritz that are bigger than cats *l*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.