Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What brought you to the USA?

Wikiposts

What brought you to the USA?

Old Feb 11th 2006, 12:58 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What brought you to the USA?

Originally Posted by Lynne
Yep, we used to go in there after skating at ice rink. I wonder if the pub is still there.
It is I think. Not the Silver Blades?
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:01 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

my american wife

Ant
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:02 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by antjen
my american wife

Ant
Ditto...
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rushman
. Been here 2 years and hate it. However, I'm not sure if I hate the US or I hate this US small town. I want to move somewhere theres a light on after 9pm and I don't feel like a feak for being up at midnight. I want to go to nice restaurants again, then a decent bar and have a few beers without some beered up logger wanting a fight with the only foreigner in town (brave ).

dunno if it's the small town either as we're in a mega huge city and talking to a neighbour's daughter today who was going to baby sit tonight and i asked her if she was going to sleep over and she replied back 'no they'll be back at 9:30' lol we're used to going out at 9:30 but not here, nope the parties over by 10PM at the latest, maybe the occasional restaurant will stay open until 11PM however we've been there at that time and we are the only ones left...zero atmosphere and i'm sure they don't know how to chill and have fun ... here it is saturday night and boring nothing to do...been out for dinner and back and it's only 8PM
i'd be interested to hear back from anyone in other parts of the states as to their 'closing times' as it were...
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
lol used to go to silver blades in downtown liverpool
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:08 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown

That's it. I worked with the St. John's Ambulance until a girl came up to the desk with a bloody finger closely folled by a guy holding the tip of it. At that point I hung up my bandage and went home.

I did hear that Pratts had either changed it's name or closed.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:11 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
dunno if it's the small town either as we're in a mega huge city and talking to a neighbour's daughter today who was going to baby sit tonight and i asked her if she was going to sleep over and she replied back 'no they'll be back at 9:30' lol we're used to going out at 9:30 but not here, nope the parties over by 10PM at the latest, maybe the occasional restaurant will stay open until 11PM however we've been there at that time and we are the only ones left...zero atmosphere and i'm sure they don't know how to chill and have fun ... here it is saturday night and boring nothing to do...been out for dinner and back and it's only 8PM
i'd be interested to hear back from anyone in other parts of the states as to their 'closing times' as it were...
I'm getting ready to go out wont be back till early hours but this isnt an every night thing and I wil be the oldest there i guess - party party now do i need a coat
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Lynne

I did hear that Pratts had either changed it's name or closed.
Probably a good idea
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

LA doesn't ever seem to close which is not necessarily a good thing in my case :scared: we live about 25 miles from downtown and the bar we like best over here closes when the last punters leave - its an "English" pub owned by an Aussie
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbj1000
How did you and USB get priority dates for your GC applications? I thought that anyone over here applying for an employment based GC got torpedoed by the priority date retrogression last year?

:
No idea .... I was an L1a and applied on 18th September 2005 - received the card on the 18th Jan 2006 - everyone here seemed to think that this was normal
Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
No idea .... I was an L1a and applied on 18th September 2005 - received the card on the 18th Jan 2006 - everyone here seemed to think that this was normal

my application began Jan '05 and I've been told I'll have my GC by July.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I'd have picked Brissy, but that's just me!!!
my choice of LA was 2 fold

1. LOTS of games companies in the area, more than almost any other area in the world.

2. Warm all the time, I like the heat

Brisbane had 2 games companies both small, it is warm most of the time but it has the one thing that I didn't want... critters (spiders, insects etc) large enough to eat my dogs (chihuahua's).

Vancouver has many games companies but is cold.

where I am I get top notch health insurance, pretty darned good Employee stock purchase plan, royalties that actually make a difference (approx 20% salary last year) and around 40% MORE pay than I got in the UK (relative to cost of living etc).

Last edited by USBound; Feb 11th 2006 at 2:30 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

teresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to all
Smile Re: What brought you to the USA?

We live in a suberb of Memphis, so we have to travel 25 miles to downtown Memphis for Beale Street, loads of bars and closes around 3ish, had some good nights there, they have one bar that closes at 5am.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

Husband's job. It's had its moments to be sure. But after 4 years we have located the exit signs, and the fat lady will be singing shortly. (or should I say 'momentarily'?)
Old Feb 11th 2006, 4:13 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

I think I've mentioned before...I came here kicking and screaming....I met hubby in Germany....we were married lived there for a year together I loved it there.....as he was the breadwinner and I was preggers with our second we had to come to the states...still here....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.