Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What brought you to the USA?

Wikiposts

What brought you to the USA?

Old Feb 14th 2006, 11:57 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What brought you to the USA?

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
Yes it's weird how things work out,isn't it?!...whenever I was at the Base the RAF guys were real chatty,but whenever I went to Silks nightclub in Thatcham,it was always the Americans!.....and then Don turned up in the last pub me and Julie went to...it was one of 'those' nights,and we were about to get a taxi home when he and a friend got there,they'd been to the US embassy in London and caught the last train back....the friend was legless!,and Don was very shy(still is!)so he just flopped the friend against the bar and leaned back against it and just stared!...anyway Julie said he won't stop staring at you(I could vaguely see him,I didn't have my glasses on!)so she said if he hasn't come over by the time I go to the loo,I'm going to go and send him over!...anyway I was looking for something in my bag,talking to Julie(who'd run off to the loo, when I wasn't looking!)and left me mumbling to myself,when I looked up,there was a blur was sitting opposite me and Julie had vanished!...that was when I thought I'd better put my glasses on,because, for all I could see,it could've been 'Bigfoot'!!...the 'Bigfoot' obviously turned out to be VERY ok!!!....we were married 5 months later!....Sophia
p.s. Congrats! on your 16 years!!!
Wow, Thatcham! My dad lived in Thatcham for many years, I know it pretty well . Never went to any night clubs as I was younger when he lived there. He lives just outside of Newbury now. Thatcham is a pretty village though, we used to go for long walks in the area.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:01 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=TaffyinOK]
Originally Posted by Bob
design, it's rated with loughborough as the top two in europe, it's highly rated in engineering and law, as well as sports...but has anyone heard of the place outside of students?

I was just perusing this thread (during lunch, of course) and saw this reference to Loughborough! I dated a fellah that went to Loughborough back in the early 70's (yeah yeah - I'm old). His name was Bruce and he was studying industrial chemistry (I think ... ). I've often wondered what happened to Bruce ..........

I ended up marrying an American (USAF) whom I subsequently divorced after 30 years. He's now living in un-marital bliss with the BFH and their three-year old twin boys in a 5 br/4 bath/spa/swimming pool house with 3 cars in the driveway and in the process of buying another home in TX for his retirement while I'm living in a 3 br rental in OKC! Not that I'm bitter or anything .....
What does BFH mean? Best Friend H...? Big F**king Heffa?
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:04 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Partystar]
Originally Posted by TaffyinOK

I haven't got a clue what it means either (or half of the abbreviations that I see on here! ). I was thinking that your latter suggestion was probably closer though! Could be wrong.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:12 pm

Fitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=blaze]
Originally Posted by Partystar
I haven't got a clue what it means either (or half of the abbreviations that I see on here! ). I was thinking that your latter suggestion was probably closer though! Could be wrong.
www.acronyms.thefreedictionary.com

might help but still not 100 % sure
Old Feb 14th 2006, 3:27 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Partystar]
Originally Posted by TaffyinOK

I think it might be the bitch from hell. Can I say that
Soon find out.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
Wow, Thatcham! My dad lived in Thatcham for many years, I know it pretty well . Never went to any night clubs as I was younger when he lived there. He lives just outside of Newbury now. Thatcham is a pretty village though, we used to go for long walks in the area.
WOW!really is a small world!..We moved to Westfield Road we I was 17,but I only lived there for two years until I got married (to #1),then moved back to (the nice end)of Curling Way,Newbury, when we divorced.
When Don and I got married my mum,me and my sister did all the catering ourselves,and had a lovely reception at my mum's house,in Westfield Road.
Do you know where The Beverly Club used to be?,down along the Bath Road,near the Doctor's surgery?,well that became Silks nightclub,they 'prettied' it up before they opened it!,it was very popular at first,but I don't know if it lasted, or if it's still there,I went there a few times,but I wasn't too keen on it.
My dad died in '76,mum stayed in the house for years but eventually moved round to the elderly peoples bungelows in Bailey Ave.(just round the corner) but now she lives at Gilbert Court assisted living retirement home,on the Bath Road...she really likes living there....my sister lives in Tadley,a brother lives at Burghfield Common and my other brother lives on Ashmore Green Road,Thatcham.
Where does your dad live now??
We moved to Thatcham from Swindon,it was a huge difference, especially for me at my age!.I never felt 'at home' there, my sister and brothers all went to Kennet School but I'd left school before we moved...thats probably why I couldn't feel settled there.....oh well!......Sophia
Old Feb 15th 2006, 7:49 am
Blondie22

[QUOTE=clydegirl]
Originally Posted by Partystar
I think it might be the bitch from hell. Can I say that
Soon find out.
Too late you already did!
Old Feb 15th 2006, 7:53 am
Blondie22

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
WOW!really is a small world!..We moved to Westfield Road we I was 17,but I only lived there for two years until I got married (to #1),then moved back to (the nice end)of Curling Way,Newbury, when we divorced.
When Don and I got married my mum,me and my sister did all the catering ourselves,and had a lovely reception at my mum's house,in Westfield Road.
Do you know where The Beverly Club used to be?,down along the Bath Road,near the Doctor's surgery?,well that became Silks nightclub,they 'prettied' it up before they opened it!,it was very popular at first,but I don't know if it lasted, or if it's still there,I went there a few times,but I wasn't too keen on it.
My dad died in '76,mum stayed in the house for years but eventually moved round to the elderly peoples bungelows in Bailey Ave.(just round the corner) but now she lives at Gilbert Court assisted living retirement home,on the Bath Road...she really likes living there....my sister lives in Tadley,a brother lives at Burghfield Common and my other brother lives on Ashmore Green Road,Thatcham.
Where does your dad live now??
We moved to Thatcham from Swindon,it was a huge difference, especially for me at my age!.I never felt 'at home' there, my sister and brothers all went to Kennet School but I'd left school before we moved...thats probably why I couldn't feel settled there.....oh well!......Sophia
My dad lives in Woolton Hill, a pretty little country village just outside Newbury.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

My dad lives in Woolton Hill, a pretty little country village just outside Newbury.
I know it ...been through there lots of times...never stopped though....my favourite village in the area is Ham,near Combe Gibbet,soooo pretty!....Sophia
Old Feb 16th 2006, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Opportunity. We got offered work based GC's (wife is a nurse) so thought what the hell.

I think we are in better situation being both Brits than mixed US/UK couples as we could just go back to Europe without any hassle if we wanted to. But for now we are here for the duration. Probably at least until the kids have left home in 8 years or so. By then who knows? Probably will have done the dual citizen thing.
how old are your kids???....I didn't leave home till I was 23
Old Feb 16th 2006, 6:24 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Very small world....I grew up in Tadley!
Old Feb 16th 2006, 6:26 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Very small world....I grew up in Tadley!
But the UK is so small, surely you all know each other?
Old Feb 16th 2006, 6:48 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
But the UK is so small, surely you all know each other?
Yeah, of course. I used to live next door to Bob. Rushman was my milkman ( ). I went to the same school as California Bride.......
Old Feb 16th 2006, 8:05 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I have often been asked if I know Mandela ....ha!ha!ha!
Old Feb 16th 2006, 8:08 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

What was the original reason that you moved to the USA or Canada? Not necessarily what keeps you here (there), but what made you come here in the first place. So many of us seem to say that we would go home in a heartbeat, so what was the event or reason that made you take the plunge and move? For me it was meeting my American husband 16 years ago in Britain and moving with him. If it had not been for that chance meeting my life would be so incredibly different right now and I would probably still be living in Britain.

I originally moved here in 1948 because my USC, dad, married my German Citizen, mom. We came on an Army cargo plane and landed in Springfield, MA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.