British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Ways to get British TV (BBC America is a missed opportunity) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ways-get-british-tv-bbc-america-missed-opportunity-357920/)

Thydney Feb 27th 2006 11:42 pm

Re: Ways to get British TV (BBC America is a missed opportunity)

We get As time goes by, Yes Minister/PM, Vicar of Dibley, Open All Hours, Porridge on Saturdays Monarch of the Glen, Born and Bred, Hustle, Fubblers slappers all sorts here. Thank *** we don't get that dreary southern shite

AmerLisa Feb 28th 2006 12:10 am

Originally Posted by SimpleBlood
With the increasing British Ex-pat population living in America, it amazes me that the BBC doesn't make more of it's BBC America service. Tired old re-runs of Monty Python and Benny Hill seem to fill 40% of the schedule, and the rest is disposable drama like Monarch of the Glen and My Hero.

With BBC owning the channel, and all of their programming back catalog...where is the East Enders, the Red Dwarf, Royle Family, Fools & Horses, etc. If they can show such recent shows as The Office and Little Britain, why not classics like Bottom or One Foot in the Grave?

I'm really interested in watching Eastenders. It became a staple part of my life after 40years of living in Blighty, and as sad as it may be, I do miss it. I find it very hard to believe that in the technological wizardry we have in 2006, that there is no way for me to watch it, other than the rather medieval process of getting a friend back home to tape each episode and mail the tapes over (while I save for a European compatible VCR!!)

I mean, surely there is an easier way to keep up with the shows from home?? We can put a man on the moon and create a cell phone that shows videos of dancing naked frogs...yet I can't Eastenders in the US?!

BBC doesn't own BBCAmerica. Sorry if that's been said already - can't bother trooping through 3 pages of posts to find out.

Drebin Feb 28th 2006 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Elvira
Imagine: You pay (approx.) 140 quid a year and you get BBC 1, BBC 2, Radios 1-5 + local, BBC World Service, and whatever else they've added to their portfolio since I left in 2001.

But it's all utter crap.

I'd prefer to have American ad-ridden crap for free, than have to pay some gestapo over a hundred pounds a year for the privilege. :p

The only shows of note to come out of the BBC in the past 5 years have been The Office and Little Britain. Maybe Nighty Night at a push.

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
er dunno probably helps if you donate and become a supporting member during their frequent money raising drives :D

Never heard of Round your way...I've been gone a while so I've not seen Little Britain either, currently ours shows Masterpiece Theater before EE:zzz:

It has been known to show , Are you being Served, Last of the Summer Wine and Keeping up Appearances :zzz: all terrible if you ask me. Red Dwarf, and Only Fools and horses would be a lovely change :D

I remember watching PBS in Colorado circa 2000, they had Red Dwarf at the time... Weirdly enough one night they had Chloe Annett in for one of their live 'pledge drive' thingys. The host had no idea what the show was about, nor really that it was a comedy. I do remember the 'film' being mentioned too, funny how six years on it's still not even past pre-production! :)

Bob Feb 28th 2006 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Drebin
But it's all utter crap.

I'd prefer to have American ad-ridden crap for free, than have to pay some gestapo over a hundred pounds a year for the privilege. :p

The only shows of note to come out of the BBC in the past 5 years have been The Office and Little Britain. Maybe Nighty Night at a push.

with the average cost of cable being $45-90 a month, otherwise you end up with about 4 channels of shite, even with cable you end up with more shite, I'd rather have the beeb...decent shows, especially drama's and documentaries...plus most parts around here you have to have either cable or sat because nothing comes over the air, except static.

As for the beeb, they have put out loads of decent comedies like Coupling.

Elvira Feb 28th 2006 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Bob

The license fee is worth it just for the Today programme and Gardeners' Question Time! :p

Not to mention I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue...:cool:

:D

Jaxbar Feb 28th 2006 1:40 am

The license fee is worth it just for the Today programme and Gardeners' Question Time! :p

Not to mention I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue...:cool:

:D

Now I've learned to download I listen to From our Own Correspondent, the Today programme interview and a few others while walking on the beach with my mp3 player :)

Elvira Feb 28th 2006 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Now I've learned to download I listen to From our Own Correspondent, the Today programme interview and a few others while walking on the beach with my mp3 player :)

I'm thinking of getting an MP3 player. One of my sons - he claims to be an expert - says I should get a Creative somethig-or-other. What have you got - any advice? :)

Jaxbar Feb 28th 2006 3:12 am

I'm thinking of getting an MP3 player. One of my sons - he claims to be an expert - says I should get a Creative somethig-or-other. What have you got - any advice? :)

To be honest i would have resisted for much longer but it was an offer - return a coupon and get it free with direct tv or telephone bundle, it came within a few days so I thought what the hell might as well use it, its probably really cheapo, its generic no brand that I can see but does the job and is easy to link to computer.
My sister uses hers to put all her CD's on so you could listen to all your opera on the go:)

BigDavyG Feb 28th 2006 3:17 am

Let an i-river or something.
do not under any circumstances get an i-pod - horrible things and i hate the way they make you use i-tunes to load them up :mad:

Jaxbar Feb 28th 2006 3:22 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
do not under any circumstances get an i-pod - horrible things and i hate the way they make you use i-tunes to load them up :mad:

Why does everyone rave about ipods this mp3 player is tiny clearly cheap but does the job ok

cutina Feb 28th 2006 3:34 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG

i think they have pros and cons. I have an iriver and it's ok but definitely has drawbacks (as i'm sure they all do).
I think the main thing is not to splash out because they're updating them all the time, and unless you can afford to keep up, there's not much point :)

BigDavyG Feb 28th 2006 3:42 am

Originally Posted by cutina
i think they have pros and cons. I have an iriver and it's ok but definitely has drawbacks (as i'm sure they all do).
I think the main thing is not to splash out because they're updating them all the time, and unless you can afford to keep up, there's not much point :)

Good point
Its worth noting that lots of phones now will do the trick too.
I have 300 tunes on my phone and it uses windows media player - jobs a good 'un.

Drebin Feb 28th 2006 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Bob
with the average cost of cable being $45-90 a month, otherwise you end up with about 4 channels of shite, even with cable you end up with more shite, I'd rather have the beeb...decent shows, especially drama's and documentaries...plus most parts around here you have to have either cable or sat because nothing comes over the air, except static.

Well, whatever floats your boat. I get a half-decent terrestrial reception where I am which gives me like eight channels. All of which generally have something good on at prime-time, whether it's re-runs of classics like 'Seinfield', or new shows that people in the UK seem to be chomping at the bit to download.

That's a good comparison actually, demand. How many shows (barring turd like Eastenders) from the BBC actually have a buzz about them enough to make non-UK people want to download them? Um, not many that's for sure.

I guess it's heaven though if you're into pop idol, changing rooms, and stuff like 'two pints of lager'.

Now, when you slap a compulsory ~£120 a year charge on it, then IMO it is a piss take.

:D There's no 'LOL' smiley! :(

antjen Feb 28th 2006 4:06 am

Originally Posted by SimpleBlood
...yet I can't Eastenders in the US?!

but?.... thats a good thing :D - though america does have its fair share of crap tv too!!

Bob Feb 28th 2006 4:56 am

If you've got the money, an I-River is a better choice, nicer sound and features..but for a quick and easy, Creative Muvo is good, nice and sturdy and can take a few knocks if your just running around with it, though I've got mine plugged into the car or use it when grocery shopping so I don't have to listen to the muppets in the store :D