British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Ways to get British TV (BBC America is a missed opportunity) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ways-get-british-tv-bbc-america-missed-opportunity-357920/)

Bob Feb 28th 2006 4:58 am

Re: Ways to get British TV (BBC America is a missed opportunity)

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Let an i-river or something.
do not under any circumstances get an i-pod - horrible things and i hate the way they make you use i-tunes to load them up :mad:

there's a hacked bit of software that pretends to be i-tunes...but you still can't buy music from other sources, so yeah, bit shite.

Bob Feb 28th 2006 4:58 am

Originally Posted by cutina
i think they have pros and cons. I have an iriver and it's ok but definitely has drawbacks (as i'm sure they all do).
I think the main thing is not to splash out because they're updating them all the time, and unless you can afford to keep up, there's not much point :)

major plus with Iriver is sound quality and able to buy music across the board, well most allow that except ipods...

Bob Feb 28th 2006 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Drebin
That's a good comparison actually, demand. How many shows (barring turd like Eastenders) from the BBC actually have a buzz about them enough to make non-UK people want to download them? Um, not many that's for sure.

There's the news, there's PM-QT, there's newsnight, there are all those shows that people get off nova, things like Life on Mars, Hustle, Spooks...okay, the last couple are over here, but a couple years out, and same for Dr Who....there's loads of decent tele on in the UK, yeah, there's some shite and reruns, but everything over here is pretty much reruns with just the odd episode that is new, and if there is any event like the olympics they go into mega repeat mode, and having commercials every few mins is a joke, ITV and C4 were much better than the dribble over here....and at least the comedies were funny.

fatbrit Feb 28th 2006 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Bob
buy music

What a strange idea! Are you feeling okay?

Polymorph Feb 28th 2006 7:55 am

I have been attempting to watch 'Shoutcast TV' on the latest version of Winamp (for those of you that don't know about this: open winamp, click 'file', go down to 'internet tv' then choose 'shoutcast tv' from the online media menu).

However, only attempt this is you have the patience of a tibetan monk and a high speed interent connection; it may take a long time to be squeezed into the tiny servers, if at all! :( I've managed to watch Red Dwarf (all seasons), Blackadder, The Young Ones, Monty Python's Flying Circle, The Vicar of Dibley and Fawlty Towers.

Most of our friends here in South Dakota seem to know Are You Being Served and Keeping Up Appearances more than anything else - I enjoy both but there's so much they don't get to see!

Hi btw, should have joined here long ago instead of sulking about these types of things by myself..!

Celtic_Angel Feb 28th 2006 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Polymorph
I have been attempting to watch 'Shoutcast TV' on the latest version of Winamp (for those of you that don't know about this: open winamp, click 'file', go down to 'internet tv' then choose 'shoutcast tv' from the online media menu).

However, only attempt this is you have the patience of a tibetan monk and a high speed interent connection; it may take a long time to be squeezed into the tiny servers, if at all! :( I've managed to watch Red Dwarf (all seasons), Blackadder, The Young Ones, Monty Python's Flying Circle, The Vicar of Dibley and Fawlty Towers.

Most of our friends here in South Dakota seem to know Are You Being Served and Keeping Up Appearances more than anything else - I enjoy both but there's so much they don't get to see!

Hi btw, should have joined here long ago instead of sulking about these types of things by myself..!

misery loves company :D , welcome to the site we all love a good gripe about U.S t.v on here...why stop there we love a good gripe about the U.S :p

Elvira Feb 28th 2006 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
misery loves company :D , welcome to the site we all love a good gripe about U.S t.v on here...why stop there we love a good gripe about the U.S :p

CA - did you not see the reference to enjoying AYBS and KUA :eek:

Must be a right weirdo :rolleyes:

So should fit in well here... :D

Polymorph Feb 28th 2006 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
CA - did you not see the reference to enjoying AYBS and KUA :eek:

Must be a right weirdo :rolleyes:

So should fit in well here... :D

Yeah but I didn't say they were my favourites! :o I just don't dislike them and they're at least better than the blah comedy format that's so popular over here.

Will I be sent to the corner if I say I like the early Carry On movies? :p

Big D Feb 28th 2006 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
major plus with Iriver is sound quality and able to buy music across the board, well most allow that except ipods...

I-tunes will convert any format of music - so if you 'buy' (or get from Russia) any format just import into i-tunes.

I really like I-tunes - BDG - what is it you dont approve of, just the fact it makes you use it?

Being a bit of an audiophile - i have a modded ipod by Red Wine Audio - and it challenges the quality of many hi end non-digital audio sources.....

Celsius Feb 28th 2006 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by SimpleBlood
With the increasing British Ex-pat population living in America, it amazes me that the BBC doesn't make more of it's BBC America service. Tired old re-runs of Monty Python and Benny Hill seem to fill 40% of the schedule, and the rest is disposable drama like Monarch of the Glen and My Hero.

With BBC owning the channel, and all of their programming back catalog...where is the East Enders, the Red Dwarf, Royle Family, Fools & Horses, etc. If they can show such recent shows as The Office and Little Britain, why not classics like Bottom or One Foot in the Grave?

I'm really interested in watching Eastenders. It became a staple part of my life after 40years of living in Blighty, and as sad as it may be, I do miss it. I find it very hard to believe that in the technological wizardry we have in 2006, that there is no way for me to watch it, other than the rather medieval process of getting a friend back home to tape each episode and mail the tapes over (while I save for a European compatible VCR!!)

I mean, surely there is an easier way to keep up with the shows from home?? We can put a man on the moon and create a cell phone that shows videos of dancing naked frogs...yet I can't Eastenders in the US?!

Reality check time. How many Americans live in the US? How many British expats live in the US?

It doesn't matter that the homesick Brits miss their TV, BBC America is for the Americans 'cos they're the larger market. BBC America is also not owned by the BBC and that makes a difference 'cos the programming is not much like the Beeb back at home (e.g. non-BBC shows are broadcast on BBC America).

BigDavyG Feb 28th 2006 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Big D
I really like I-tunes - BDG - what is it you dont approve of, just the fact it makes you use it?

Just the fact that they make you use it really - I just like having the facility to drag and drop tunes onto my player (I only use a phone with a mini-SD card). It also means you can swap tunes with others more readily - all i need to swap tunes at work is a usb cable.
Is there any rights management within I-Tunes that interferes with the use of certain tracks or sharing between devices ??

Big D Feb 28th 2006 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Just the fact that they make you use it really - I just like having the facility to drag and drop tunes onto my player (I only use a phone with a mini-SD card). It also means you can swap tunes with others more readily - all i need to swap tunes at work is a usb cable.
Is there any rights management within I-Tunes that interferes with the use of certain tracks or sharing between devices ??

Only if you purchase off itunes store - i dont!! I rip CDs and obtain elsewhere - if networked you can actually share your itunes with other users!!

I use it for all my music storage, but keep a back up server for music and photos at home, and have never had issues sharing and using. I agree its probably not as intuitive as some of the windows stuff - but i like to rebel againts Gates every now and then! I actually use an older version of itunes as i prefer it, and i have an original model ipod that is still as good now as when i first got it!!

BigDavyG Feb 28th 2006 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Big D
Only if you purchase off itunes store - i dont!! I rip CDs and obtain elsewhere - if networked you can actually share your itunes with other users!!

I use it for all my music storage, but keep a back up server for music and photos at home, and have never had issues sharing and using. I agree its probably not as intuitive as some of the windows stuff - but i like to rebel againts Gates every now and then! I actually use an older version of itunes as i prefer it, and i have an original model ipod that is still as good now as when i first got it!!

That's bizarrely why I object to i-tunes - cos apple are trying to do a microsoft with it imo.
All of my tunes are at home and i back them up to dvd.
I haven't used the russian sites yet as back home i used to use a bloke on ebay who sold a dvd's worth of mp3's for a fiver. He got shut down and my collection hasn't been updated for a while, so i might start to look east - still a bit wary of it right now though.

Drebin Feb 28th 2006 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
there's loads of decent tele on in the UK

You've been away for too long I think. :)

Originally Posted by Bob
ITV and C4 were much better than the dribble over here....and at least the comedies were funny.

Now, yeah the BBC do the odd decent show, even C4... But ITV? Even on UK-based forums the channel is utterly drawn-and-quartered these days.

Bob Feb 28th 2006 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
What a strange idea! Are you feeling okay?

well you do have more legal options than the rip off of buying i-tunes :D